Considering getting some coaching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering getting some coaching

I’m looking for some advice folks. I’m considering getting some couching after the year but am not sure where to go? I seem to have hit a brick wall in my attempt at getting any better and have come to the point where I feel that I need some help if I want to improve.
    There is an ex pro in my club that does couching but I have decided against asking him as I feel I want something different. I have watched a few of his couching sessions with another players in our club and it’s just that I feel that having a mate telling me over having another couch that I don’t know would make it easier to pay attention to and concentrate on what’s he is saying and what I’m doing.
    I would like to get down to Nic Barrow or as my mate was telling me about the academy in Sheffield does couching sessions but I feel the cost would be out with my budget once I add travel, accommodation, and loss of earnings while I’m away (I’m self employed) I live in Edinburgh so I have to look at something within driving distance or going away a couple of nights (back again to cost)
    Does anyone have any ideas? And just as importantly give me an idea of likely costs involved I have not phoned the academy to find out prices as yet but reading Nic Barrow’s website it’s costly.

Jim Donnelly is based in Glasgow, that's who I use. He has a website you can contact him through, www.improveyoursnooker.net, very reasonable prices too.

Mark

Comment

Hi Ashbash, out of curiosity, who's the coach in Edinburgh and do you know how much he charges? Also would you recommend them even though you'd prefer someone else. I'm fairly new to the game but would like to try some coaching in the future. I'd had a look online recently but could only find Jim Donnelly as mstorr mentioned.

Comment

Just to add. Try and speak to who ever you choose over the phone to get an idea about his methods and how he comes across. If you can get a personnel recommendation that is also good. A lot of coaching is about getting a good relationship between pupil and teacher so make sure that you feel comfortable with him. I hope you find someone who can help you. Good luck!
        coaching is not just for the pros
        www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

I know Jim Donnelly from Glasgow and I can highly recommend him although to be fair I haven't really received any coaching from him as my own coach is Nic Barrow and I also coach myself

Terry
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by DaveMadeThis View Post
            Hi Ashbash, out of curiosity, who's the coach in Edinburgh and do you know how much he charges? Also would you recommend them even though you'd prefer someone else. I'm fairly new to the game but would like to try some coaching in the future. I'd had a look online recently but could only find Jim Donnelly as mstorr mentioned.
            Dave, He's Craig Macgillivray. Craig is an ex-pro and is current Scottish Amateur Champion. He plays mostly at The Locarno in Slateford and charges about £18 an hour last time I heard.

Comment

Stevie ballie from Glasgow is a very good coach you can google him for rates phone no etc

Comment

Cheers for the info bigmeek, good to know.

Comment

well after much thought i have decided to give Jim Donnelly a phone and hopefully sort something out might try and ask my wife if she wants to get me a Christmas present and book me in for his two day course after the year lol.

Comment

Say hello from me when you call him!! I travel up to Darlington once a month to see him. Really look forward to the sessions, and always enjoy them.

Mark Storr

Comment

Originally Posted by mstorr View Post
                      Say hello from me when you call him!! I travel up to Darlington once a month to see him. Really look forward to the sessions, and always enjoy them.

Mark Storr
                      Wow that's dedication travelling all that way up to my club, if i see a stranger getting coaching i'll wander over lol

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                        Wow that's dedication travelling all that way up to my club, if i see a stranger getting coaching i'll wander over lol
                        You do that! I'm due for an all day session with Jim again on the 27th!!

Mark

Comment

I see Jim quite a lot in my club every 2nd weekend i think it is, the only thing that puts me off having a couple of sessions with him is, he seems to get his cue out and play quite a bit, not sure what he's up to, but i would want to be potting balls not him lol

Comment

Originally Posted by mstorr View Post
                            Say hello from me when you call him!! I travel up to Darlington once a month to see him. Really look forward to the sessions, and always enjoy them.Mark Storr
                            Hi Mark. I had a couple of sessions with Jim last year and he helped me a lot. I'm not a very good player and have loads of problems. Can't cue straight, no cue ball control etc etc. Jim helped with this. The question I have for you is...........What can Jim do for someone who is already a good player? Can you give a couple of examples from your own experience? I see on Jim's website that he's coached John Higgins. I can't really think what kinds of things Jim would be saying to John! Just being curious.

Comment

Coaches help with a lot more than just cueing. They can also help with practice routines and what practices to do, preparation for tournaments, shot selection and tactics and also with the mental side of the game so there is plenty that Jim may have helped John Higgins with.
                              coaching is not just for the pros
                              www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

Working...
                              X