Potting along the cushion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by roykay View Post
    Terry Davidson, your post implies that you don't recognise the use of transmitted side.
    95 per cent of good billiard players understand and make good use of it. Especially in cannon play.

Roy Bacon
    Rebutting comments like these aren't helpful at all....and often being perceived as being snobbish.

Would be worth a thousand times better if you can provide an insight and example to your argument so that members and guests can be educated better to what you r trying to say and leave to digest if it's logical or not.

Comment

Just got back from a practice session and I got immediate results with playing top and running side. Thanks Terry
      I course I will need to practice this more, but definitely heading in the right direction.

Thanks to all replies
      Regards

Neil

Comment

Originally Posted by Izzyfcuk View Post
        Rebutting comments like these aren't helpful at all....and often being perceived as being snobbish.

Would be worth a thousand times better if you can provide an insight and example to your argument so that members and guests can be educated better to what you r trying to say and leave to digest if it's logical or not.
        Yes SIR! I sux at such shots, so the solution is... I only make them on tables with bigger pockets! LOL!!!

No seriously, I agree with the practicing part and I really need to do it! snookerdad's advice is really helpful, as I realise that when I am making them, the effect of simultaneous contact of cushion and object ball is the main image I see when I actually hit this shot.
        John Lim

Targets to beat: -line up 63, 78 (Nov 2012)- -practice match 67 (Nov 2012)- -competition 33 (Oct 2011)-

Comment

Originally Posted by merlin1234 View Post
          Well the nap of the cloth also runs the other way at the baulk end. Might make it fractionally less likely to hold a line along the rail.
          Exactly m8, a pocket strength shot will leave the baulk cushion being pulled off line by the direction of the nap. Always play these shots stronger than pocket strength.

Comment

aim to the edge of the shadow from the object ball, sounds strange but works

Comment

Originally Posted by tinytim139 View Post
              aim to the edge of the shadow from the object ball, sounds strange but works
              I can never understand this "shadow" thing, surely that depends on the type of lights you have fitted, and every table would play different ???

ps, i always use the running side method and it usually works 9 out of 10 times

Comment

Reminds me of tips I've heard about using the reflections on object balls to measure pots and that pool stroke method where you cue up the same every time and then turn your wrist to reach the potting angle or something ridiculous like that.

Comment

haven't read all the post's but have to disagree with the the view that using side helps even tho it may if that make sense. the cushion shot is the same as any other and should be treated as such It is fear of missing that leads to bad cuing but once this shot is mastered you can stun, screw, top, right hand, left hand side the lot. It's all in the mind.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                    Spin is not transferred to the object ball,
                    Spin can be transferred... obviously the amount of spin transferred is very small but you can transfer spin. Denying it means having no understanding of physics.
                    This video explains it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJSVW...eature=related. As you can see the spin transferred is minimal but there is. Transfering spin is used a lot of time in pool when you need to change a little bit the exit angle of the ball. As I said the spin transferred is minimal but sometime is enough to make un impossible bank makeable.
                    If I misunderstood your message sorry in advance.
                    Bye

Comment

Originally Posted by Slh View Post
                      Spin can be transferred... obviously the amount of spin transferred is very small but you can transfer spin. Denying it means having no understanding of physics.
                      This video explains it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJSVW...eature=related. As you can see the spin transferred is minimal but there is. Transfering spin is used a lot of time in pool when you need to change a little bit the exit angle of the ball. As I said the spin transferred is minimal but sometime is enough to make un impossible bank makeable.
                      If I misunderstood your message sorry in advance.
                      Bye
                      There is no spin being transfered on that video, the object ball is merely carrying forward momentum due to being struck by the cue ball at an angle less than 90 degrees.
                      Maybe spin can be transfered with the object ball frozen on a cushion making the contact between the two balls more prolonged and with greater friction, but so many of these videos about US pool ignore the fact that when a ball is banked into a cushion hard it buries itself into the cushion for a fraction of a second before leaving it enabling it to seemingly come of the cushion at a strange angle. But this angle depends entirely on where it has been struck by the cue ball and at what force. You can in fact make doubles (bank shots) come off the cushion at a sharper angle merely by hitting them harder because of this effect of the cushion
                      The transferring of side spin when playing a pot along the cushion cannot happen because the cushion never comes into the equation, if it did it would mean that the cue ball contacted the object ball before the cushion which would result in missing the shot.

Comment

yeah i have the same problem potting along the cushion, i tend to hit the cue ball to far away from the cushion and just pull the ball away from the cushion back into play

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                          There is no spin being transfered on that video, the object ball is merely carrying forward momentum due to being struck by the cue ball at an angle less than 90 degrees.
                          Maybe spin can be transfered with the object ball frozen on a cushion making the contact between the two balls more prolonged and with greater friction, but so many of these videos about US pool ignore the fact that when a ball is banked into a cushion hard it buries itself into the cushion for a fraction of a second before leaving it enabling it to seemingly come of the cushion at a strange angle. But this angle depends entirely on where it has been struck by the cue ball and at what force. You can in fact make doubles (bank shots) come off the cushion at a sharper angle merely by hitting them harder because of this effect of the cushion
                          The transferring of side spin when playing a pot along the cushion cannot happen because the cushion never comes into the equation, if it did it would mean that the cue ball contacted the object ball before the cushion which would result in missing the shot.
                          so do you say spin cannot be transferred when the ob is not against a cushion?

Comment

Working...
                          X