No announcement yet.

Del hill's chest contact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should the cue still be on the chest when you strike the cue ball and follow through???

Comment

The whole point of 'chest to cue' is to provide another point of contact and a better 'channel' for the cue. Some of the faults are (as mentioned) players will pull the cue into the chest to get the firm point of contact rather than dropping the chest down to the cue.

Another fault (which I am trying to conquer myself) is if the grip on the cue is not relaxed the player will pull the butt of the cue upwards off the correct plane and this will encourage the chest (and the head/shoulder area) to move up and to the left (in a right-handed player) on the backswing and this results in a whole mess of problems since the backswing is not perfectly straight. Believe me when I say, this is a VERY serious issue and one I've been trying to conquer unsuccessfully for 5 years now as especially during tournaments and under pressure I will lift my chest slightly on the backswing which takes the cue off-line and causes me to miss a lot of pots, especially long ones.

The third area of contention on this is most players will have the cue drop away from the chest when they drop the elbow at the end of the follow-through and usually you can hear this as the cue will strike the rail and (like me) their cue will have a bunch of bumps in the butt just ahead of the grip area.

I teach the cue should be 'lightly brushing' the chest but not hard against it as this will limit the follow-through and will also encourage the player to 'steer around' the chest, with the butt going to the right and the tip to the left across the cueball.

However, in the end it comes down to personal preference and what the player did when he started to learn to play. I think either is OK just as long as the cue is not too tight against the chest which will cause some interference with the smooth delivery of the cue I would think

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by CoachGavin View Post
        yeah, if you start pulling your cue to your chest you will pull it off the line you have chosen in order to meet up with the chest and therefore cue across the shot. If you place your chest to the cue then the cue stays online throughout the pre shot routine and stance etc.
        This is the correct answer. Put the cue on line then bring the cue down to make contact with the chest. Like Gavin and theflyernow have pointed out if you put the cue on the line then pull the cue into your chest you will pull the cue of line.

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
          This is the correct answer. Put the cue on line then bring the chest down to make contact with the cue. Like Gavin and theflyernow have pointed out if you put the cue on the line then pull the cue into your chest you will pull the cue of line.
          Was there a slight typo there caz? I've corrected the above in bold where I think it may have been. I'm only posting so that nobody else reading this gets confused (not a dig at you mate).
          "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
          - Linus Pauling

Comment

Hendry's waist coat has really shiny marks on the rights hand side, the cue is against his chest all of the time.
            this was pointed out by one of the commentators too

Comment

I think probably something else that should be made clear is that the contact should be with the players own chest rather than Del Hill's. That's probably a snag that could catch out less advanced snookerists.

This means, logically following on from the additional reference point theory, that the best possible cue action would probably maintain contact with both the player's and Del Hill's chest throughout delivery.

Comment

Originally Posted by nrage View Post
                Was there a slight typo there caz? I've corrected the above in bold where I think it may have been. I'm only posting so that nobody else reading this gets confused (not a dig at you mate).
                I read it a couple of times now and can't see any thing wrong with the statement can you explain what it is that wrong?

Comment

Originally Posted by merlin1234 View Post
                  I think probably something else that should be made clear is that the contact should be with the players own chest rather than Del Hill's. That's probably a snag that could catch out less advanced snookerists.

This means, logically following on from the additional reference point theory, that the best possible cue action would probably maintain contact with both the player's and Del Hill's chest throughout delivery.
                  and if your playing with his balls your in big trouble. lol

Comment

Your original post:

This is the correct answer. Put the cue on line then bring the cue down to make contact with the chest. Like Gavin and theflyernow have pointed out if you put the cue on the line then pull the cue into your chest you will pull the cue of line.
                    What I thought you meant to say:

This is the correct answer. Put the cue on line then bring the chest down to make contact with the cue. Like Gavin and theflyernow have pointed out if you put the cue on the line then pull the cue into your chest you will pull the cue of line.
                    I read it a couple of times now and can't see any thing wrong with the statement can you explain what it is that wrong?
                    Just a switch around of the chest and cue .. I thought..
                    "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                    - Linus Pauling

Comment

Originally Posted by nrage View Post
                      Your original post:

What I thought you meant to say:

Just a switch around of the chest and cue .. I thought..

Thanks I read it a third time and your spot on with your correction. lol
                      thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X