Spin on the ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spin on the ball

I was wondering how do i get the right action on the cue ball like bananna shots and to screw bak the full length of the table on a long shot! When i take a long shot thats fairly straight i always seem to stun the ball rather than screw back and then im out of position! How can i change this?
    Simon Whitehead
    www.snookermaniacs.webs.com
    My snooker blog looking at the life of my snooker dream

Screwback is a skill IMO. It takes hours upon hours of perfecting backspin. Once you can do that you can apply it to the shot you're going for. I would ignore the banana shots at the moment and concentrate on screw back first.

Practise straight shots screwing back small amounts and try to increase your screw back each time remembering that it's not all in the power of the shot but the technique aswell. Try watching some clips of how snooker players screw back. Some people say you shouldn't raise the butt of the cue however slightly raising it for me seems to work than having a cue that's parallel with the table.

I've never screwed back that length of a table but the more you screw back the more steady your hand needs to be. It's weird explaining it.

How much can you screw back at the moment?

As for banana shots it's esentially bottom right hand english or left depending which way you want the ball to go. The more sweetly you hit it the more spin you get. I might be wrong theres a lot more experienced people here but that's my take on it.

Comment

Well there are some coaches on here who can explain stuff in detail but I think the question you're asking is pretty basic.

If you want to put large amounts of spin on the ball you have to cue very straight, have great timing and lots of acceleration. The difference between screwing a few feet and table length is vast. Screwing back table length from a long pot is not something very many players can do, and I don't know if it's even possible on a typical club cloth. If it is it's a truly massive feat of cue power.
      Last edited by merlin1234; 29 January 2012, 03:13 AM.

Comment

simon:

Do a search on here as we just had a string on screw issues and I gave a longer explanation on how to accomplish deep screw effectively. The trick is you must accelerate through the cueball and beyond and you have to keep the grip loose through the strike. The other issue is most players THINK they're hitting the bottom of the cueball when in reality they are hitting it higher.

Terry
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Yeah its all down to the cue power and technique. Try to concentrate on hitting through the ball with a looser and wider bridge (still ensuring you are cueing in a straight line) rather than jabbing low and hoping for screw, which is a tendency when playing deep screw shots.

147Snookered
          twitter.com/147Snookered

Comment

Thanks guys for all the replys it looks like its down to the cue action and the power from what all you guys are saying so i will go on the table and practice it this week! Thanks everyone!
            Simon Whitehead
            www.snookermaniacs.webs.com
            My snooker blog looking at the life of my snooker dream

Comment

Originally Posted by sklskl View Post
              Screwback is a skill IMO. It takes hours upon hours of perfecting backspin. Once you can do that you can apply it to the shot you're going for. I would ignore the banana shots at the moment and concentrate on screw back first.

Practise straight shots screwing back small amounts and try to increase your screw back each time remembering that it's not all in the power of the shot but the technique aswell. Try watching some clips of how snooker players screw back. Some people say you shouldn't raise the butt of the cue however slightly raising it for me seems to work than having a cue that's parallel with the table.

I've never screwed back that length of a table but the more you screw back the more steady your hand needs to be. It's weird explaining it.

How much can you screw back at the moment?

As for banana shots it's esentially bottom right hand english or left depending which way you want the ball to go. The more sweetly you hit it the more spin you get. I might be wrong theres a lot more experienced people here but that's my take on it.
              very good post skiski ... I agree apart from the banana shot bit I've highlighted - I think banana shots are normally made purely by top or bottom spin ... here's my understanding ...

left or right side spin always stays on the cueball wherever the cueball goes, whatever direction it takes - so, for instance, let's consider what's called a "reverse screw" shot ... you're dead straight on a black on it's spot, the white is the yellow side of the table and you want to screw back to the cushion and spin up towards the pink/blue ... you use right hand side ... although the cueball has completely reversed direction, it still has right hand side on it ...

not so with top or bottom ... top or bottom always stays on the cueball from the direction you applied it and that does not change whatever the direction the cueball takes ...

the easiest banana shot is probably the Jimmy White "dribble shot" ... say the cueball is on the green spot with a red close to the black corner pocket yellow side ... hit that 3/4 ball so the white hits the black cushion, just above centre and hard, and the white will banana and stop dead ...

it's the same principle that pro's use to split the pack potting a black with the white hitting the black cushion (just top) or when the white is the wrong (ie black) side of the blue - put some bottom on, pot blue, white hits the baulk cushion and then spins back towards them off the side cushion ... it's not side - just top or bottom ...

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
                very good post skiski ... I agree apart from the banana shot bit I've highlighted - I think banana shots are normally made purely by top or bottom spin ... here's my understanding ...

left or right side spin always stays on the cueball wherever the cueball goes, whatever direction it takes - so, for instance, let's consider what's called a "reverse screw" shot ... you're dead straight on a black on it's spot, the white is the yellow side of the table and you want to screw back to the cushion and spin up towards the pink/blue ... you use right hand side ... although the cueball has completely reversed direction, it still has right hand side on it ...

not so with top or bottom ... top or bottom always stays on the cueball from the direction you applied it and that does not change whatever the direction the cueball takes ...

the easiest banana shot is probably the Jimmy White "dribble shot" ... say the cueball is on the green spot with a red close to the black corner pocket yellow side ... hit that 3/4 ball so the white hits the black cushion, just above centre and hard, and the white will banana and stop dead ...

it's the same principle that pro's use to split the pack potting a black with the white hitting the black cushion (just top) or when the white is the wrong (ie black) side of the blue - put some bottom on, pot blue, white hits the baulk cushion and then spins back towards them off the side cushion ... it's not side - just top or bottom ...

Maybe I'm doing it wrong. We should really start uploading some videos of all us guys doing some shots on tables

I understand the top side banana shots they're easier. I always thought bottom left or right was the right way if you've got a nice angle on your object ball but I think you get the screw back but it reverses. Maybe I'm doing a reverse screw back? I'll try it your way.

I'm always gonna give a go at making one of those pool ball polishers.

Comment

Just so we don't screw everyone up on these banana shots that everyone is talking about. A banana shot is normally one where there would be some kind of angle on the pot and the player uses extreme top or bottom spin which changes the path of the cueball after contact with the object ball.

Side has virtually no effect and is not part of the banana effect. It is the spin on the cueball combined with the normal angle the cueball would take off which alters the cueball path

Terry
                  Terry Davidson
                  IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Timing is very important when you are playing a deep screw shot or banana shot.
                    My deep screw shot
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Comment

here is one of my banana shots
                      hope u like it.
                      I am a century player myself but I also like to play fancy screw shots when the frame is won.
                      My deep screw shot

Comment

first try learning this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwwuK...eature=related

Comment

Originally Posted by stephenm2682 View Post
                          and even more amazingly, he hardly follows through the cueball at all ...

Comment

Originally Posted by stephenm2682 View Post
                            very nice timing and cue power but don't forget these are optimum playing conditions,the tables are very fast and very responsive.
                            hard to get these conditions in a club.
                            My deep screw shot

Comment

Working...
                            X