Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocking in matches.

Hi

In practice i can make frame winning breaks and feel very confident when in the balls, but in matches i am completely different. I had a match tonight and i felt so nervous i was not feathering the same as practice, playing the wrong shots and twitching on everything.

Has anyone else struggled with this??

No I'm afraid you're the only one.

j/k join the club.

Comment

everyone struggles with this dude... I'm not really the right person to give advice, but if i was going to id say get more match practice, and throw yourself into BIG tournaments... that way when you play the smaller ones, they come with a little less pressure... and most importantly, just enjoy the game
      what a frustrating, yet addictive game this is....

Comment

Originally Posted by Blanchon147 View Post
        Hi

In practice i can make frame winning breaks and feel very confident when in the balls, but in matches i am completely different. I had a match tonight and i felt so nervous i was not feathering the same as practice, playing the wrong shots and twitching on everything.

Quite normal mate, and happens in all sports!!

When your practising, your loose, relaxed and can just let it go.....almost carefree, but of course in a match, there can be implications if you miss, which you don't get in practice, and fear of failure can set in, so you doubt your shot selection, your ability to play that shot and tense up etc etc etc.

The only way to get better at matches is to play matches, and at least you are aware of the 'problem' so you've got to take you time, try to breath and stay calm (without going too mechanical!!) and try to play with the same rhythm you have in practice, and go out and be positive and tryto win the frame(s) instead of being too passive trying 'not to lose them' !!

Good luck with it.

Comment

Hi

Quite normal mate, and happens in all sports!!

When your practising, your loose, relaxed and can just let it go.....almost carefree, but of course in a match, there can be implications if you miss, which you don't get in practice, and fear of failure can set in, so you doubt your shot selection, your ability to play that shot and tense up etc etc etc.

The only way to get better at matches is to play matches, and at least you are aware of the 'problem' so you've got to take you time, try to breath and stay calm (without going too mechanical!!) and try to play with the same rhythm you have in practice, and go out and be positive and tryto win the frame(s) instead of being too passive trying 'not to lose them' !!

Good luck with it

Comment

A player as good as Hendry- the great one- has said that he only wished he could put his practice game in to match play. So you need not to worry. Ask other players on this forum and your own club mates, people will have a significantly higher break in the line up routine than match play.

Solo practice has no opposition pressure and you are playing alone and therefore can concentrate more on potting and placing and have no worry for safety or the pressure caused by the opponent, if he is far better than you etc, or the crowd etc... Hence solo practice is always better than match play, which is the time when all the psychological tricks start to happen.
            "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

As others have said, this is quite usual, from amateurs to pros.
              I have played a lot of pool league and interleague matches and in the past my shot judgement can be off compared to practise and I have been shaking like a leaf and also have a "yip" that can occur at the most inopportune moment
              Recently I have been trying something that seems to work for me - to a certain extent - I give myself a "good" feeling inside and have a secret smile inside, all shots are good shots and if a bad one occurs, have a little shrug and move-on, basically there is no pressure on me, on my shots, and on the match - I love the game and I enjoy the feeling of playing a good shot (pot, position, safety - all).
              I am sure some sports psychologist can explain it better but it seems to be working - for me.
              all the best
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Hi

We all do ! Polish your nails inspect your cue tip, have a gaze round at the surroundings, sing Look on the bright side of life in your head, or anything that will take your attention from just how well the other guy is doing, when he has finished his break solve the problem as it appears on the table just like practice. In other words play your game not his.

Comment

Hi

We all do ! Polish your nails inspect your cue tip, have a gaze round at the surroundings, sing Look on the bright side of life in your head, or anything that will take your attention from just how well the other guy is doing, when he has finished his break solve the problem as it appears on the table just like practice. In other words play your game not his At the moment you are playing HIS GAME.

Comment

Hi guys thanks for all your advice. I had a league match tonight and felt brilliant i took your advice to play like i am in practice. I loved it i felt at ease and relaxed the game was easy to me. Thanks everyone

Comment

Working...
                    X