Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for timing?

Hi all,

I've found a stumbling block in my game in the timing of the cue stroke. I have a tendency to rush the stroke, having little or no pause in the backswing, resulting in shots being snatched or played in a very "clunky" way. When I cue with a pause and time the shot properly, the difference is remarkable, I can pot anything. I have attempted to incorporate a double tap with the pad of the index finger of the bridge hand at the back of the swing, but I find this is over complicating the stroke and isn't possible when cueing is awkward. Does anybody have any other tips for ensuring that I can time my shots properly? Thanks

Hi Bigsi,
    wish i could help but im in much the same boat. I would like to improve my timing too, especially for screw shots. Hopefully someone will reply sometime soon ! The one thing that iwould say is DON'T try and introduce a pause that isn't there already in your natural game. Far better ( i think) to just slow everything down, especially the last backstroke before the shot. Also try and start each shot slowly, so your still accelerating at point of contact with the cueball.
    Think i will now go and try out my own advice ! lol

good luck.

Comment

Hi Bigsi,
      wish i could help but im in much the same boat. I would like to improve my timing too, especially for screw shots. Hopefully someone will reply sometime soon ! The one thing that iwould say is DON'T try and introduce a pause that isn't there already in your natural game. Far better ( i think) to just slow everything down, especially the last backstroke before the shot. Also try and start each shot slowly, so your still accelerating at point of contact with the cueball.
      Think i will now go and try out my own advice ! lol

good luck.

Comment

Hi bigsi
        From what you described it seems that you are closing your grip before the cue tip has made contact with the CB, resulting in snatching the shot. I agree with rovnos that the back pause is not crucial, although if you find that it helps you then by all means use it. But i have seen many players who play with a pause but still snatch at the shot. A slow back swing n push the cue through the cue ball without closing the grip prematurely helped me solve my timing issues. (thanks to Terry's comprehensive postings)

Comment

Originally Posted by rovnos View Post
          The one thing that iwould say is DON'T try and introduce a pause that isn't there already in your natural game.
          It took me 3 years to learn how to play using 4 point contact technique, keeping the cue as level as possible with slower feathers and pause at the back. I must say the pause was hard to crack, I have given it up several times, but now I'm comfortable with it. Solo practice was the key in my case. Reading this site and some coaching material helped a lot.

If I relied on my "natural" game, I'd never ever cross 50 break barrier, not in a million years. I'm just not one of those guys who can make any style work for them. At least now I look like a snooker player at the table. Some of my snooker playing buddies find it hard to believe that I used to play 9ball for many years. Now I'm almost completely robotic so to speak, devoid of any "character". For me personally it is better that way. For the life of me I could not play with any consistency using my "natural" style. Something had to be done.

Comment

Bigsi:

The double-tap is an awesome technique/trick. I can say so because I use the same method and it helps. Dont feel frustrated it will take time even months to get used to with it... but eventually it will come to you- i use it since such a long time that i dont even care to remember now but its no my natural trick to a consistent back pause...

In order to improve timing just search for the word timing and you will find huge loads of threads on this forum but for your ease i am reproducing two methods hereunder:

TERRY's method
            ---------------
            - Use a front pause, a slow backswing, a rear pause and then start the delivery slow and without increasing the pressure of the grip on the cue.

- Drive through the cueball by imagining you will be striking the object ball with your tip.

And now something that i picked from somewhere and forgot the source. This is not only for timing but for consistency which leads to better timing: but the following you can call a 5 point GOLDEN RULE to consistent snooker- trust me blindly on this:

1. Absolutely no body movement throughout the stroke.

2. Loose grip, much looser than you think so the cue can slide freely in the grip.

3. Slow backswing, much slower than you would think (this will eventually speed up to your natural rhythm as you learn to keep the cue straight on the backswing)

4. Rear pause - absolutely vital in order to set your mind up to accelerate through the cueball

5. Stop at the end of the delivery, with your right hand against your chest, and keep your eyes on the object ball (for feedback)...do not move the head at all.

"I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

Originally Posted by Sidd View Post
              1. Absolutely no body movement throughout the stroke.

2. Loose grip, much looser than you think so the cue can slide freely in the grip.

3. Slow backswing, much slower than you would think (this will eventually speed up to your natural rhythm as you learn to keep the cue straight on the backswing)

4. Rear pause - absolutely vital in order to set your mind up to accelerate through the cueball

5. Stop at the end of the delivery, with your right hand against your chest, and keep your eyes on the object ball (for feedback)...do not move the head at all.
              [
              I need to have this tattooed on my bridge hand. Golden advice.

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
                haha or i would like it on a nice "heads up" display on my glasses! a bit like the terminator!
                http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
                  haha or i would like it on a nice "heads up" display on my glasses! a bit like the terminator!
                  Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
                  Cyberheater and Mello Yellow: well I would have done something like that myself but it would have been of no help trust me If one did so; one would be focusing/noticing/concentrating on the lines and not the pot in hand and hence missing hahaha this surely is a funny game- You know the trick? well the trick is as under:

The problem about timing is that it only comes to you once you do not intentionally concentrate on the timing once you start to concentrate on timing and consistency tips its gone trust me. The only time one can play well or be in the zone is when one is not focusing on timing consistency technique etc. The best way to explain this is how Jack karnehm explained it... he said that while eating with a fork you do not see the fork or notice its movement but have you ever put the fork by mistake in your nose ? never you always subconsciously put it in the mouth, without looking at it. Snooker is just like that you have to put all the technique (including the 5 point GOLDEN RULE above) in play without having to notice them at all.. This can only be achieved by picking a single point from the 5 points and then practicing alone with that point in mind then having made it your second nature move on to the next and then after making sure all 5 are your second nature and you are doing them without knowing that you are doing them... go to match play and focus on pots and positions and let them be there for you without having them in mind... I sound like some freak here i know but that the only way to achieve excellence in this game of ours...!!!
                  "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

Have a little waltz tempo playing in your head

Address the cue ball and pull back the cue for your first feather, start the count on one the first forward motion of your first feather, pause at the address postion for the count of two three while focussing on the cue ball, pull back the cue between the counts of three & one and repeat. Pull back the cue between the counts of three & one, count one on the third forward feather, count two three at the address position but this time focus on the point of contact on the object ball on the count of two, pull back the cue after the count of three and then shoot whilst keeping your eyes on the point of contact on the object ball.

one two three, one two three, one two three.......shoot

three beats to the bar (one two three), more bars the harder the shot. Speed of the tempo is up to you.

Comment

I use my breathing to help me with my pause at the backswing. I take a deep breath as I take me hand back, hold for 2 seconds then deliver the cue.

Comment

Working...
                      X