No announcement yet.

Bored in Solo Practice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As many of the others have said, what you need to do is keep setting challenges/goals which are achievable, beating them, and then raising the bar. They can be simple little challenges, like trying to pot 10 reds and following all 10 times with the white from a given position on the table, using the "long blue" setup, or the "short blue" setup across the table. The key is to record/remember your "best" and then aim to beat it. This goal will keep you focused on the task.

But, don't spend all day doing a simple exercise like this, change it up, pick another exercise and again set a goal and attempt to beat it.

Denja's idea of having a notebook and writing down the points you're struggling with is a great idea, next session you can/should find/devise/pick a small routine to address the "bad" point. You can then record your "best" score at that routine, come back next time and try and beat it. This gives you a good way to measure your progress.

Some days, I know, it's hard to muster up the concentration for snooker and these days are just "bad" days. In that case, something less structured is probably a good idea, so long as you don't get too disheartened if things go badly. It pays to realise that there will be bad days and to just shrug them off and come back next time with a fresh head/mind.

For those less structured days I tend to just chuck some reds around the pink/black and pot, pot, pot. If I find I am developing a rhythm or I'm getting bored with that I might decide to make a game of it, i.e. how many can I pot in a row, or if you're playing at a high level attempt to pot all balls into the left hand side of the pocket or something equally challenging.

It's all about having a goal. If the task is pointless you'll get bored much more easily.
    "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
    - Linus Pauling

Comment

Originally Posted by nrage View Post
      As many of the others have said, what you need to do is keep setting challenges/goals which are achievable, beating them, and then raising the bar. They can be simple little challenges, like trying to pot 10 reds and following all 10 times with the white from a given position on the table, using the "long blue" setup, or the "short blue" setup across the table. The key is to record/remember your "best" and then aim to beat it. This goal will keep you focused on the task.

But, don't spend all day doing a simple exercise like this, change it up, pick another exercise and again set a goal and attempt to beat it.

Denja's idea of having a notebook and writing down the points you're struggling with is a great idea, next session you can/should find/devise/pick a small routine to address the "bad" point. You can then record your "best" score at that routine, come back next time and try and beat it. This gives you a good way to measure your progress.

Some days, I know, it's hard to muster up the concentration for snooker and these days are just "bad" days. In that case, something less structured is probably a good idea, so long as you don't get too disheartened if things go badly. It pays to realise that there will be bad days and to just shrug them off and come back next time with a fresh head/mind.

For those less structured days I tend to just chuck some reds around the pink/black and pot, pot, pot. If I find I am developing a rhythm or I'm getting bored with that I might decide to make a game of it, i.e. how many can I pot in a row, or if you're playing at a high level attempt to pot all balls into the left hand side of the pocket or something equally challenging.

It's all about having a goal. If the task is pointless you'll get bored much more easily.
      Glad you approve of my little black book I can say without doubt it has helped my game a lot, The trouble with practice is you can get into the habit of only doing the things you like and steering clear of thing you find hard, the trouble is the things you have neglected will come back to haunt you during a game. One little bit of advice I see guys on the practice table banging balls into the pocket real macho, they are aware people may be watching and because of this they are making shots that they know they can pot they are learning nothing, no matter how embarrassing you misses failure to screw back or other faults the practice table is for practice, you may get a few laughs from the other guys but just say Bol******** you will be the winner in the end.

Comment

How many times have you been in the club and seen a 30-break player setup the line up - all 15 reds and all colours on spots, then proceed to get 2 or 3 reds and blacks/pinks and then fluff the next red. That simply confirms you're a 30-break player! Comical! - and no reward or end point.
        Too many times.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
          Too many times.
          Yep seen it many times ! My way of looking at it is without the right tools to do the job e.g. Straight cuing,Screw,Stun, Run through, Pace of shot. you are never going to progress, Have you ever come across the guy who says things like "I should have screwed back for the blue" or "I should have stunned for the black but as you watch him it becomes painfully obvious that he has no idea how to play these shots, but you are to much of a Gentleman to tell him he is full of Bull S***

Comment

are we talking snooker here???????????????
            Originally Posted by Blanchon147 View Post
            Hi,

I practice most days doing a few different routines and a bit of match play but i am just getting bored in solo practice. Does anyone have any advice on how to make practice more fun? I do almost the same routines everyday.
            I went into a chemist and asked for a deodorant, the assistant said "ball, stick or aerosol", "No, I want it for under my arms!" was my reply.

Comment

Originally Posted by Blanchon147 View Post
              Hi,

I practice most days doing a few different routines and a bit of match play but i am just getting bored in solo practice. Does anyone have any advice on how to make practice more fun? I do almost the same routines everyday.
              Gave up for a month or even longer, gym will help if you in to it,

Comment

Working...
              X