Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get rid of "unforced errors"?

Hi,

A question for the"professional coaches" I'm afraid...

I'm a (beginning) coach myself, and I don't have the answer.

I know and am able to play every shot in the book, but...
    I can play 5 to 10 perfect (and I mean mm-perfect) shots, but then I mess one shot up completely. I miss an easy one or mess up my position by playing too hard or too soft

When I play better players, I win most of the safety battles so I get the chances, but I don't score heavily enough off them. I'm a player who makes (a couple of) 20+ or 30+-breaks every frame, but not more than that.

So I want to score MUCH heavier when in amongst the balls. I know I have the technical ability, but how do I get there?
    I always thought playing routines like the line-up were the way to improve your break building. But when I play a line-up, I have the same problem and miss a pot at let's say 20, 30 or 40....

Do any of you know of a way to get rid of these annoying "unforced errors"?

Thanks,
    Tom

If you are a coach yourself then I'm going to assume your technique is good (although you might want to video yourself for awhile and see if you can catch some of these 'errors' on tape and see what's different in your technique or set-up).

If everything is good, then I'm afraid your answer is 'more practice'. I too consistently run 30s to 80s breaks but in the line-up (doing only 10 attempts) I usually get 4 or 5 centuries with 2 or 3 total clearances (at least when I'm playing well) so don't give up, with practice it will come and if your technique is good it will come quick

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

How to get rid of "unforced errors"?

Unforced errors usually come down to concentration (normally an easy ball missed), I only do line up as a cueing exercise (to get the arm going). Then work on potting and positional exercises. Building it up from 3-4 reds up to 10-12 incorporating a pack situation. Trying to concentrate on every ball/position. Hope this helps a bit, it does for me.

Comment

What about the pressure factor when you get near those 30 to 40, specially as you are getting frustrated. Also, I agree with the post from Ant, concentration is so important.
        JP Majestic
        3/4
        57"
        17oz
        9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
          What about the pressure factor when you get near those 30 to 40, specially as you are getting frustrated. Also, I agree with the post from Ant, concentration is so important.
          What would you say is the best way to increase your pressure barrier from say 30-40 to 50-60? Lots of practice so you are in that zone often and it no longer becomes a big thing?

Comment

Get to say 25-30 points and then pretend that the next red is your 1st red.

Easy to say but hard to do .......i should know . Being trying it lately and it just shows how poor my concentration is .
            Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by DannyC View Post
              What would you say is the best way to increase your pressure barrier from say 30-40 to 50-60? Lots of practice so you are in that zone often and it no longer becomes a big thing?
              Of course it's practise and practise, if you can get up to 40 consistently ( not including a colour clearance ) then your technique is pretty good. I just think when some players approach a personal best there natural game goes a bit due to trying too hard.

Snooker really is a mind game, eg, yesterday I was out of position on a spotted pink, black was tied up which left me with the spotted blue, the cue ball was in between the pink and black on the right side as we look baulk wise. At first I refused the blue in to the yellow pocket but thought NO you must take it on with screw to come back to the reds. Yes , I hit it so sweet with the screw coming in to effect to be on the next red. So sometimes you just got to grab the ball by the horns. Confidence is key in any sport but with Snooker it's paramount...
              JP Majestic
              3/4
              57"
              17oz
              9.5mm Elk

Comment

Working...
              X