Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    particle:

It depends on what you feel most comfortable with. I try and lengthen the backswing for power shots to provide myself with a smoother rate of acceleration and also the longer backswing does help to drive through the cueball.

Try using a longer backswing and try stopping the cue at the cueball and you'll see what I mean...it's virtually impossible NOT to drive through.

So to answer your question...I change my backswing length in order to keep the rate of acceleration almost the same on all shots. That's not to say on a 10ft deep screw shot that I won't really drive that cue, faster than I normally would but the longer backswing gives me a smoother shot

Terry
    Cheers T, I will play around with a longer backswing. JH is the classic example I guess, using deceleration to delicately play a ball off a long swing.
    Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Originally Posted by sydneygeorge View Post
      Great thread you have started here Wayync.
      Are there any pro s using jab like deliveries ?
      Yes a lot. I wouldn't say jab like but short backswings include a. Higgins. Robertson. Allen. Ding.
      The person with the smoothest most buttery long backswing at the moment has to be luca brecel for me.

Comment

Originally Posted by sydneygeorge View Post
        Great thread you have started here Wayync.
        Are there any pro s using jab like deliveries ?
        Yes a lot. I wouldn't say jab like but short backswings include a. Higgins. Robertson. Allen. Ding.
        The person with the smoothest most buttery long backswing at the moment has to be luca brecel for me.

Comment

I have always been partial to the medium to longer back swing purely for smoothness and acceleration through the cue ball.

Maximum efficiency, minimum effort.......just watch Ronnie. The very word "jab" makes my snooker mind cringe. The amount of hard work it takes manoeuvre the cue ball (especially straight shots) with a short back swing is insane and will often result in unnecessary body movement and a less than desired result (especially for the club player). Yes, Dave Harold managed it but I would say that the most notable and successful player that did this was Cliff Thorburn.

However, as a percentage of all of the top professionals in the last 40 years, I think it would be fair to say that success and preference favours the longer back swing maybe for the reasons above.

MattB

Comment

Working...
          X