Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right Handed Left Handed Player

Hi,

I have been playing snooker since an early age off and on! I first played at Butlins on holiday I guess I was around 7-9 years young. I have always done everything right handed....writing, eating drinking etc etc. But when it comes to snooker I play left handed, that is apart from rest shots then I revert back to my right hand.

Trying to play right handed is like trying to write left handed, almost impossible!

Am I one in a million (bring on Friday..lol) or is this quite common?

Regards Repy.

I have never seen it, maybe try and develop your right handed play as well?

Note PP I have not found the need to quote the OP

Ooooh that's going to get some comments!

Comment

Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
      I have never seen it, maybe try and develop your right handed play as well?

Note PP I have not found the need to quote the OP

Ooooh that's going to get some comments!
      You go your own way, tis all good. lol
      Crikey, I'm famous enough to be mentioned everywhere. Or is that infamous, or...........! Nice cat btw.
      Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

My 11 yr old son eats, writes, everything right-handed, but inexplicably he plays snooker/pool left-handed!?
        Not thought about it really until your post, hmmm...
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Reptile1 View Post
          Hi,

I have been playing snooker since an early age off and on! I first played at Butlins on holiday I guess I was around 7-9 years young. I have always done everything right handed....writing, eating drinking etc etc. But when it comes to snooker I play left handed, that is apart from rest shots then I revert back to my right hand.

Trying to play right handed is like trying to write left handed, almost impossible!

Am I one in a million (bring on Friday..lol) or is this quite common?

Regards Repy.
          Judd Trump is right handed except when playing snooker and he too uses his RH when playing rest shots.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            My 11 yr old son eats, writes, everything right-handed, but inexplicably he plays snooker/pool left-handed!?
            Not thought about it really until your post, hmmm...
            It's a really interesting topic (yes I do sound like Steve Davis today). Neurologists and psychologists have shown that the right hemisphere controls the left side of the body and vice-versa w.r.t. the left side of the brain. They believe that the right side of the brain is the creative part of our personality and that the left side controls rationality, logic, etc. This means that you OP and your son DH have chosen an interesting path; creative snooker. Think about left handed tennis players, snooker players; they're all flair players. Now do you OP and your son DH try and play a flair game, a creative game or a more clinical % game? Think Judd Trump of Jimmy White, compared to say Davis or Hendry (or McEnroe compared to Borg). ROS is a special case, so we'll ignore him. It could be that long ago, you chose to play the game a certain way, and picked up the cue and put it in the hand necessary to play that game with that part of your brain. Right, back to the Tevetron.
            Last edited by Particle Physics; 24 July 2012, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Gerry Armstrong View Post
              Judd Trump is right handed except when playing snooker and he too uses his RH when playing rest shots.
              He may be subconsciously using his right hand for a technical shot, using his rational, logical, left hand brain side. I don't remember him playing a flair shot with the rest. Jimmy on the other hand (pun intended) certainly does, it's a creative shot for Jimmy. See above post.
              Last edited by Particle Physics; 24 July 2012, 08:25 PM.

Comment

PP - interest (as you and SD say ), I was thinking along the same lines of the brain hemispheres, etc.
                I will have a closer look at my son's game from now on.
                ciao
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Particle Physics View Post
                  It's a really interesting topic (yes I do sound like Steve Davis today). Neurologists and psychologists have shown that the right hemisphere controls the left side of the body and vice-versa w.r.t. the left side of the brain. They believe that the right side of the brain is the creative part of our personality and that the left side controls rationality, logic, etc. This means that you OP and your son DH have chosen an interesting path; creative snooker. Think about left handed tennis players, snooker players; they're all flair players. Now do you OP and your son DH try and play a flair game, a creative game or a more clinical % game? Think Judd Trump of Jimmy White, compared to say Davis or Hendry (or McEnroe compared to Borg). ROS is a special case, so we'll ignore him. It could be that long ago, you chose to play the game a certain way, and picked up the cue and put it in the hand necessary to play that game with that part of your brain. Right, back to the Tevetron.
                  Add maradona to that
                  Goddess Of All Things Cue Sports And Winner Of The 2012 German Masters and World Open Fantasy Games and the overall 2011-12 Fantasy Game

Comment

im uncomfortable on my left side whatever i do just doesnt feel natural im only ambi when eating actually
                    Goddess Of All Things Cue Sports And Winner Of The 2012 German Masters and World Open Fantasy Games and the overall 2011-12 Fantasy Game

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                      PP - interest (as you and SD say ), I was thinking along the same lines of the brain hemispheres, etc.
                      I will have a closer look at my son's game from now on.
                      ciao
                      I knew you were thinking the same way.

Comment

Originally Posted by LittleMissAlexa View Post
                        Add maradona to that
                        And Messi.

Comment

Originally Posted by LittleMissAlexa View Post
                          im uncomfortable on my left side whatever i do just doesnt feel natural im only ambi when eating actually
                          You must be a Chemist! lol

Comment

I do everything left handed or left footed. Except I have dabbled at cricket and golf, and I bat/swing a club right handed.I have tried to play golf left handed,, but it just feels horrible and wrong

Comment

Originally Posted by snooks1000 View Post
                              I do everything left handed or left footed. Except I have dabbled at cricket and golf, and I bat/swing a club right handed.I have tried to play golf left handed,, but it just feels horrible and wrong
                              ]

It would do with a right handed golf club.........................sorry!

Comment

Working...
                              X