X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Particle Physics View Post
    Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
    ???? Is it?
    Well, maybe I'm wrong. I hit the middle of the ball, go through the ball, and somehow, the CB comes off the object ball at a near perpendicular angle and it really travels. This is different to the stun shot IME, hitting just below centre and the reaction path being perpendicular. Maybe I'm not doing the SRT properly then?
    The stun run through is like the shot in the video you posted. You're making the white travel a relatively small amount whilst still being able to hit the ball hard.

You can't send the white all around the table with a stun shot, otherwise, it's not a stun shot is it? Because it hasn't stunned.
    WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
    Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
      The stun run through is like the shot in the video you posted. You're making the white travel a relatively small amount whilst still being able to hit the ball hard.

You can't send the white all around the table with a stun shot, otherwise, it's not a stun shot is it? Because it hasn't stunned.
      I guess what i'm doing then, when I make the CB come off the object ball at near 90 degrees is not a quite stun shot (as I'm aiming centre) and not quite a stun-run-through shot, somewhere in between? The video shows a different grip, sighting and stance though, so it's pretty irrelevant now that I'm using the Ronnie grip, bent arm bridge and getting through the CB so much more. Maybe that's the difference?
      Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Have a look at Ronnie's 141 total clearance against Ali Carter from this year at the WC.

There's a red to the middle when Ronnie is on 39. It's an excellent example of a stun-run-through played very hard to widen the angle of the cue ball.

I don't know what shot you're playing that can send the white all around the table that's a SRT?
        WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
        Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
        --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I guess what i'm doing then, when I make the CB come off the object ball at near 90 degrees is not a quite stun shot (as I'm aiming centre) and not quite a stun-run-through shot, somewhere in between? The video shows a different grip, sighting and stance though, so it's pretty irrelevant now that I'm using the Ronnie grip, bent arm bridge and getting through the CB so much more. Maybe that's the difference?
          More than likely you're raising the cue on the shot for a follow through.

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
            More than likely you're raising the cue on the shot for a follow through.
            Ok, so aiming for centre, then inadvertently producing a big stun shot with movement due to a raised butt?

Comment

The stun shot : Explained

What you're describing doesn't sound at all like a stun shot, sounds more like a run through.

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                What you're describing doesn't sound at all like a stun shot, sounds more like a run through.
                It's coming off the object ball at near perpendicular though, so it can't just be a run-through. Maybe I wasn't getting through the ball as much as I thought I was, and actually played a partial stun shot by hitting the white in the middle, not a wee bit below the middle. Would this explain the slightly different reaction angle and extra movement?

Comment

This is what I have found. It's a nice shot to avoid an in off when the stun shot would result in exactly this. The stun-run-through makes the cue ball miss the pocket, but still travel nicely, almost perpendicular. The other good thing about the stun-run-through is the amount of travel one can put into the CB, far more than the stun shot per se. It's a great shot for sending the cue ball round the table.
                  Cool I will try that the next time I play man....
                  My blog on snooker and other cue ball games -

www.cue-ball-control.blogspot.in

:snooker:

Comment

It's coming off the object ball at near perpendicular though, so it can't just be a run-through. Maybe I wasn't getting through the ball as much as I thought I was, and actually played a partial stun shot by hitting the white in the middle, not a wee bit below the middle. Would this explain the slightly different reaction angle and extra movement?
                    Yes, it does. First of all, hit just a little bit below and at high speed. Next shot, hit a little more below, but decrease the speed. Try this for all subsequent shots.
                    The perfect stun shot would be to pot the blue in the center and just miss the pink, and maybe hit the red just behind pink.

Comment

Yes, it does. First of all, hit just a little bit below and at high speed. Next shot, hit a little more below, but decrease the speed. Try this for all subsequent shots.
                      The perfect stun shot would be to pot the blue in the center and just miss the pink, and maybe hit the red just behind pink.

Comment

Hmm, im reading a lot about stun shots being played very hard,and around the middle of the white, to me a stun shot is not about the speed its played(well not totally)or what point on the white you strike, its how its played, to me its played as a controlled punch shot, stun can be used to to play very delicate positional position its not about leathering the white , for example when just low on the black a nice stun shot screw can get you back on reds on the same side, or a stun run can get you on reds on the other side, neither of these shot are played hard, but both change the angle of the white and can be a big help
                        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                          Hmm, im reading a lot about stun shots being played very hard,and around the middle of the white, to me a stun shot is not about the speed its played(well not totally)or what point on the white you strike, its how its played, to me its played as a controlled punch shot, stun can be used to to play very delicate positional position its not about leathering the white , for example when just low on the black a nice stun shot screw can get you back on reds on the same side, or a stun run can get you on reds on the other side, neither of these shot are played hard, but both change the angle of the white and can be a big help
                          What a stun shot "is" is very simple, it's the white sliding (with no forward or backward roll) into the object ball. Playing one is much more complicated. The simplest way to ensure you have stun is to strike the dead center of the white as hard as you can, if you hit center and hard enough, then you will always get stun over any distance.

But, as you say, delicate stun shots are an essential part of cue ball control when in the balls, and very useful. But, they're a bit harder to master because they require you adjust the height you strike for the power you're going to use. The longer the distance, the more power or the lower you need to go to get a perfect stun.

It's interesting to watch just how quickly a sliding white goes from sliding to rolling normally, it happens over an inch or two of travel, so if you get your power or height wrong by as little as an inch, you don't get stun. Likewise, if you over screw the ball, you don't get stun either. So, in some situations achieving perfect stun can be quite tricky.

For example, line up some perfectly straight pots over various distances 1ft, 2ft, 3ft, .. 11ft. Now, try to pot the ball and have the white stop perfectly still after impact. If you bash the ball hard, dead center, and you're cueing is nice and straight this is a relatively easy exercise (the longer distances are harder). But, if you try the exercise again, and this time you try to stun the white but using the smallest amount of power possible, so potting the object ball as slowly as possible, it becomes a very hard exercise. The 11ft shot will require very low striking and depending on your cue power medium to high power.
                          "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                          - Linus Pauling

Comment

Working...
                          X