Standing behind a shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standing behind a shot

Once you have decided what shot you are going to play and you know the point of contact on the ball , how do you stop your eyes wandering whilst you go down to the shot?

Sometimes I feel when I watch the ball as Im coming down to the shot my eyes get lost every now and again....
    Would you guys recommend just standing back up and restarting routine?

Thanks

The trick is to 'lock' your eyes on the object ball as you drop into the shot. This can be easily achieved by keeping the nose pointed to the object ball and then ensuring you drop the head STRAIGHT DOWN. If you do that you will always be on your chosen line of aim.

If you get down on the shot and for any reason you feel you're not on the correct line of aim, then the good books say you should ALWAYS stand up and start again, but in reality we are all a bit lazy and we make minor adjustments when down on the shot (usually by shifting the hips slightly right or left) and even though this almost always leads to missing the pot, I still do it and I'm sure a lot of players do it.

I have even noticed the pros doing it and it's usually when playing into a blind pocket, like a cut-back black and when they do that they almost always over-cut the ball and miss. I know it's really stupid but I still do it and I've noticed a lot of players doing it. The only player I can remember who was faithful in standing up and re-setting himself was Steve Davis in his prime, although I'm sure there are others (like maybe Rory McLeod?)

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
      I try and stand up if it doesnt feel right and yeh you are right people get lazy :P

Comment

Working...
      X