do not adjust your line of aim!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do not adjust your line of aim!

ok, you can call me a slow learner ... I've been reading for ages (probably years) that coaches recommend that every player should determine the line of aim standing upright behind the shot, get their foot and nose on that line and then drop into the cueing position and not change that line of aim!

and I have been working on this, trying to get it all sorted whilst standing up but I've always been tempted to sometimes change the line of aim when down on the shot cos "it looks wrong" ...

only last week (I only play once a week) on a couple of occasions, I knew I'd changed the line and missed the pot slightly too thin or too thick ...

so this week, I said to myself "I will play that line even if it looks wrong" ... I thought I'd miss a lot of pots until my subconscious learns but I was quite amazed ... I was making pots even though they looked totally wrong - I didn't make everything by any means but I was close - the only two I was annoyed with was when I couldn't resist changing the line, and guess what, I missed on the changed side (for instance, deciding to play a bit thinner and I overcut the ball) ...

on a few occasions, I caught myself adjusting or really didn't like what I was seeing so stood up and started again ...

it's not a eureka moment or a holy grail ... as an occasional player, my high break is 31 and I didn't threaten that tonight ... best breaks were 27 clearance (colours but not on their spots) and a couple of others in the low to mid 20's ...

but nevertheless, good consistent play at my level and I enjoyed it ... no more worrying about the line of aim, just try to deliver the cue straight

so thank you to all the coaches on TSF ... your advice will hopefully sink in eventually even to dummies like me

If you've knocked in a 27 when your highest break is 31 then you're playing on or near to the best snooker you've ever played. Stick with it and soon you'll be flying past 31. As Terry always says - no micro adjustments!
    I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Well Done ! You just have to be Brave and let you Subconscious take over..... If your on the shot and you think ...not sure ..get up and start again.....

Comment

thanks for your support magicman and Ossie ...

to update the report, I was pleased with my play last week, quite a few 4 or 5 ball breaks although nothing amazing scoring wise ...

and I was even more pleased this week ... I lost count of the 4/5 and occasional 6 ball break ... best one of the night was 8 balls - blue/black/pink/pink (28 so far) with a difficult but gettable red with guaranteed position on the blue (for 34) ... I slightly overcut the red but I can't be disappointed, I'd done well (at my level) to get that far ...

I could have played the last pink better (into middle pocket) to leave a straight roll through on the red for black or pink rather than a half ball pot at distance, I was trying to but underhit and left the red much more missable ...

notes to DandyA ... (a) try to make the next pot as easy as possible even if you have to (slightly) risk the current pot... (b) don't worry about the points, worry about potting as many balls as you can ...

Comment

Well Done DandyA

Just keep enjoying it and have fun..... If it works Use it........ If it does not ,Lose it.......

Comment

Well Done DandyA

Just keep enjoying it and have fun..... If it works Use it........ If it does not ,Lose it.......

Comment

Working...
            X