Micro-adjusting - your thoughts ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Drac View Post
    "pro's all do it".......................... are they not putting side on ? ie finding the middle of the white and then micro adjusting (moving the tip) to the side they are going to put on? I know I know you shouldn't cue across but many do.
    'The many' you speak of are not the few who make it to be professional snooker players.

I get coaching by a well known scottish ex pro who doesn't even play the game anymore other than coaching commitments and when he picks up the cue and pots a ball it's a different class the way he strikes it you've got to see it on the table to appreciate it. I've watched Anthony Mcgill in pro-ams years ago and he's the same, I got murdered off of Rhys Clark when he was winning the mens, under 21s and juniors all in the same season so you've got to see them do it at the table to understand there is no such thing as 'micro-adjusting' for these guys they know what line they want before their down on the shot the rest is just them getting the cue through straight and they all do it impeccable and to be honest picking the line of aim is pretty **** easy compared to having a professional cue action.

Comment

Really........... keep spending your money.
      Easy on the garlic....

Comment

Originally Posted by Drac View Post
        Really........... keep spending your money.
        I would assume by the tone of the reply your saying that professional coaching for what is generally accepted as one of the most technically demanding sports is pointless and i'm wasting my time and money and he's ripping me off.

If that's the case I'll bow to the superior knowledge of some guy on an internet forum and discount everything I ever saw a professional or good amateur player do and explain to me what they are doing. The general consensus from most coaches even one's on this forum is that they don't 'micro-adjust' if you and other's want to believe different then it's potentially a reason why your game may be held back over the years but it's not my problem I know if I was good enough to be playing for the kind of money they play for i wouldn't want to rely on second guessing myself with a deceptive trajectory of balls on a horizontal plain vs a better view i had vertically as i was approaching and walking into the shot.

But each to your own mate.

Comment

I ain't your mate and I ain't gonna get into some nonsense with you. Champion of champions 3rd frame Trump's break off against Brucell.... have a look and grow up
          Easy on the garlic....

Comment

Micro-adjusting - your thoughts ...

hahahaha, period much

Comment

Originally Posted by Derek P View Post
              I would assume by the tone of the reply your saying that professional coaching for what is generally accepted as one of the most technically demanding sports is pointless and i'm wasting my time and money and he's ripping me off.

If that's the case I'll bow to the superior knowledge of some guy on an internet forum and discount everything I ever saw a professional or good amateur player do and explain to me what they are doing. The general consensus from most coaches even one's on this forum is that they don't 'micro-adjust' if you and other's want to believe different then it's potentially a reason why your game may be held back over the years but it's not my problem I know if I was good enough to be playing for the kind of money they play for i wouldn't want to rely on second guessing myself with a deceptive trajectory of balls on a horizontal plain vs a better view i had vertically as i was approaching and walking into the shot.

But each to your own mate.
              Welcome to the forum Derek. Enjoyed reading your posts, sounds like you have good knowledge and interest in the game. Be looking forward to more of your posts. What's your current standard of play if you don't mind me asking? Saw you said in earlier post you used to play in tournaments.

Comment

Originally Posted by markz View Post
                Welcome to the forum Derek. Enjoyed reading your posts, sounds like you have good knowledge and interest in the game. Be looking forward to more of your posts. What's your current standard of play if you don't mind me asking? Saw you said in earlier post you used to play in tournaments.
                Thanks mate I’m not saying I’m an authority on anything or even that great a player there’s many way better than me but if some of my opinions helps a few people improve their game then they had a purpose.

As for my current standard, in solo practice i’ll pot 7 reds out of 10 on the 1st or second attempt of long blues this is how I like to judge my cueing and what I was shown to do to make sure the basics of my game are correct, the 2 or 3 balls I’ll miss on the long straight shot are on the jaws.

I have a few practice routines that I do the zig zag 7 reds line up & clearing the colours and the last red 3 or 4 times in a row without missing and then setting a mini pack of 3-4 reds behind the pink take a red for position then split them and clear that are some of my favourites.

I play in a local league since I came back my highest break has been 64, I’ll make at least a 30 break in every frame given half a look at a decent table I’ll be annoyed when I just overrun position or mistime something cos in the old days I was regularly putting in a 40 or 50 break every few frames probably if I was on my day and I had a highest break of 95, multiple 70s, 80s

I’ll be playing in Scottish Snooker’s Main tour 3 event in Glasgow to see how I get on against the best amateurs we have up here probably get a sharp lesson in needing to improve my scoring but it’s that pressure I need to make me grit my teeth and concentrate harder.

If your struggling with anything in particular on your game feel free to ask I might be able to help the other guy on here I know knows his stuff is Terry from Australia we used to talk a bit as I believe he was friends with my coach Jim Donnelly in the old reardon days here in Glasgow that’s where John Higgins and a few others first appeared on the scene before my time but so I’m told.

Comment

Thanks mate I’m not saying I’m an authority on anything or even that great a player there’s many way better than me but if some of my opinions helps a few people improve their game then they had a purpose.

As for my current standard, in solo practice i’ll pot 7 reds out of 10 on the 1st or second attempt of long blues this is how I like to judge my cueing and what I was shown to do to make sure the basics of my game are correct, the 2 or 3 balls I’ll miss on the long straight shot are on the jaws.

I have a few practice routines that I do the zig zag 7 reds line up & clearing the colours and the last red 3 or 4 times in a row without missing and then setting a mini pack of 3-4 reds behind the pink take a red for position then split them and clear that are some of my favourites.

I play in a local league since I came back my highest break has been 64, I’ll make at least a 30 break in every frame given half a look at a decent table I’ll be annoyed when I just overrun position or mistime something cos in the old days I was regularly putting in a 40 or 50 break every few frames probably if I was on my day and I had a highest break of 95, multiple 70s, 80s

I’ll be playing in Scottish Snooker’s Main tour 3 event in Glasgow to see how I get on against the best amateurs we have up here probably get a sharp lesson in needing to improve my scoring but it’s that pressure I need to make me grit my teeth and concentrate harder.

If your struggling with anything in particular on your game feel free to ask I might be able to help the other guy on here I know knows his stuff is Terry from Australia we used to talk a bit as I believe he was friends with my coach Jim Donnelly in the old reardon days here in Glasgow that’s where John Higgins and a few others first appeared on the scene before my time but so I’m told.
                  Cheers Derek, I'd say I'd be about your level. I managed to break through and get a century but haven't kicked on due to back problem. That's all settled down now luckily but I struggle to get motivated and really struggle with concentration. Not done solo in months and usually play one or two nights a week against my mate that plays league, can usually get couple 40s and a 50 with the odd time a bit higher. I'm happy to hold that form for the amount I'm playing.

Comment

Cheers Derek, I'd say I'd be about your level. I managed to break through and get a century but haven't kicked on due to back problem. That's all settled down now luckily but I struggle to get motivated and really struggle with concentration. Not done solo in months and usually play one or two nights a week against my mate that plays league, can usually get couple 40s and a 50 with the odd time a bit higher. I'm happy to hold that form for the amount I'm playing.
                    As you say it’s a good standard for not practicing anymore mate, I’m sure the bug will bite you again I’ve always loved my Snooker but stopped playing for 4 years due to the Gym & Bodybuilding taking over my life I still loved to watch the game but put off hitting a ball for fear of being garbage and now I am really garbage 😂 no it’s slowly but surely coming back my point is I stayed away for a while and came back to fall in love with it again maybe you’ll do the same over time for now still making half centuries was 100% more than I did for my lay off I never hit a shot lol

Comment

As you say it’s a good standard for not practicing anymore mate, I’m sure the bug will bite you again I’ve always loved my Snooker but stopped playing for 4 years due to the Gym & Bodybuilding taking over my life I still loved to watch the game but put off hitting a ball for fear of being garbage and now I am really garbage �� no it’s slowly but surely coming back my point is I stayed away for a while and came back to fall in love with it again maybe you’ll do the same over time for now still making half centuries was 100% more than I did for my lay off I never hit a shot lol
                      Good luck on the quest to improve. I'm sure there will be a ton in you. I didn't pick a cue up for 20 years and made my highest break 3 years later aged 41 so it's never too late.

Comment

Good luck on the quest to improve. I'm sure there will be a ton in you. I didn't pick a cue up for 20 years and made my highest break 3 years later aged 41 so it's never too late.
                        Cheers mate thanks for the words of encouragement am enjoying the game more than ever so it’s jusy a matter of time I hope anyway.

My main strategy for improvement is throwing myself in at the deep end and playing against Scotland’s best amateurs cos I know I’ll get a good few thrashing’s before I need to learn to make the consistent frame winning breaks that these guys can do.

Comment

To get back to the original question on this thread and the quote "pros all do it" I think it's when they are playing with side many of them will fish about. The world number one is the biggest micro adjuster of the lot or has he got parkinsons ? Before anyone starts having a go and even worse name dropping or assuming they are the only ones to get close to pros to see their smooth cue actions PLEASE your having a laugh. For future reference if someone poses a question be sure you know who posed it before you jump the gun because you might upset someone on here who might know something about the game. As for me I say good luck to you all. By the way I think it's all about concentration and you can't by that. But then what do I Jimmy Robertson, Mark Davis, Leo Ferndanad, Jimmy White, Tony Drago or David Grey know? Oh **** did I just name drop.....tut tut hopefully someone just learnt a lesson courtesy of TSF free of charge.
                          Easy on the garlic....

Comment

As with every debate on this forum, members debate but their interpretation of micro adjusting may be different to one other.

We found that out on the biggest ever debated subject debated here on TSF, the one on this string re - SIT & CIT..Members were clearly not on the same page when they were hair pulling..
                            JP Majestic
                            3/4
                            57"
                            17oz
                            9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                              As with every debate on this forum, members debate but their interpretation of micro adjusting may be different to one other.

We found that out on the biggest ever debated subject debated here on TSF, the one on this string re - SIT & CIT..Members were clearly not on the same page when they were hair pulling..
                              Good shout Throtts. It’s difficult for all to actually know they are comparing “apples with apples”
                              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Agreed point taken.... crap day buttons pushed poor reaction apologies
                                Easy on the garlic....

Comment

Working...
                                X