long straight shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long straight shots

hi everyone, could someone pls advice what is the most crucial point to maintain when taking long shots . For instant shots where the que ball and the object ball is 5 to 6 feet apart.

Very interesting Q, I miss (long) straight pots a lot myself.
    I saw that going differently in my mind

Comment

It might help if you told us what usually goes wrong with your long potting.
      "I'll be back next year." --Jimmy White

Comment

Originally Posted by elvaago
        It might help if you told us what usually goes wrong with your long potting.
        It s the long straight potting that is the problem. The same long potting with an angle gives a much higher potting ratio than the straight ones. And the margin of error can be very high, I mean i can miss the pocket by a lot. I can't hit the red ball correctly so that is goes straight to the pocket. Could it be that straight potting needs another body position at the table ?

Comment

Straight pots are the easiest pots to make!
          People who have trouble with these shots always seem to say "I always miss the straight ones" just before they play them, it's probably in your head!
          The other answer could be some sort of cueing problem were you do something different for the straight shots!
          I also don't think that 5/6ft is that long a pot, so I'd get someone to watch you play normal and straight shots to see if they can spot something you can't!

Comment

My guess is that you're not hitting the white ball straight in the middle on a trajectory to hit the red ball straight in the middle. Try straight short pots and making them longer and longer and longer.
            "I'll be back next year." --Jimmy White

Comment

You need to make sure you are cuing perfectly true and straight, hitting the white with no side.

If you are doing this correctly and following through the white should go straight through into the pocket after the pot- try practicing that.
              "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Indeed, it could probably be that I unconsciously hit the white with some side - starting to practise with short straight pots and let the white go through is a good indication how correct the shot is played - Thank you all your comments !

Comment

Just a question about the opening shot: I use to play it with right side on the top of the ball, though I noticed some players play that same shot with side on the middle or even the bottom of the ball -any particular advantage to play this opening shot in one of those ways ?

Comment

Opening shot??? You mean the break off?

If thats the shot, right side on it helps the cue ball to come back to the baulk line......thats it!
                    Who needs 'The Rocket' , When RaNeN is here!

Comment

Originally Posted by Wim
                      Just a question about the opening shot: I use to play it with right side on the top of the ball, though I noticed some players play that same shot with side on the middle or even the bottom of the ball -any particular advantage to play this opening shot in one of those ways ?
                      top is unreliable and undpredictable on long shots off cushions as it can spin in all sorts of ways, and too much bottom with side could swerve it, so its best to use just centre right, or maybe just slightly below centre right..

This can bring the white back upinside the blue as the pros do.
                      "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Thanks again my English snooker brothers I know what to pratice in the club the coming weeks !

Comment

TQvm, will practise what was adviced and hopefully this difficulties are of the past.

Comment

Haven't read the whole thread, but the most crucial aspect to cueing straight, whether it is a long pot, mid range or short range, is to keep your body rigid on the shot. Kepp your head down and straight. The part of your body that should move is your right arm from the elbow down (or the left if your left handed )
                            Cheers
                            Steve

Comment

Well with my limited snooker talents it will be hard working to improve those shots !

Comment

Working...
                              X