Just wondering why...? but seriously

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
    They were in there mate but I deleted them. Didn't want to revisit that grave of a thread
    Just know that we are right about this pottr and bollocks to the detractors.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
      1. Small upper body movement during either the backswing or delivery. AS HAS BEEN SAID ABOVE 'a lot of players THINK they stay still and when I show them using Kinovea and frame-by-frame analysis they can easily see the head rising up and to the left (for a right-handed player) and for you up and to the left a bit which WILL move the tip on the cueball too by 1mm or so but enough to miss a pot, especially with power.
      2. Timing is off. Use a front pause, a slow backswing, a rear pause if you naturally have one and then start the delivery slow and without increasing the pressure of the grip on the cue.
      3. Drive through the cueball by imagining you will be striking the object ball with your tip.

If you do these 3 things every time you play the inconsistency should be minimized and I mean greatly minimized.

Terry
      It's gold. Thank you Terry.

Comment

Well as long as you dont say any cue will do Pottr i dont mind

Comment

ive been having alot of coaching with someone from my club and when i began my highest break was a measley 8 and he changed everything from how i should stand, how i should bridge to how i should grip and he always said you WILL get worse before you get better and that was true i was struggleing on simple 3/4 reds into the corner bag then after a week i was getting 20/25 breaks so dont rush it and i wouldnt judge what nic barrow says cause he's probably the best coach around you will improve if you get in at least 8 hours a week practice, and just make sure your wrist is always lively

Comment

I think your putting yourself under unnecessary pressure here. Start from scratch by watching Jack Karnehms clips on YouTube. Don't put pressure on yourself just enjoy the beautiful game!
            Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
            Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

Throtts: Well yes you are right too. I go to play after a long day of work in the evening. I can see that that may have an effect but then at times it also happens during weekends. But thanks for the thoughts; will take notice of that factor as well. My love for snooker is undying and that is why I just keep sailing through rough winds all the time

Sberry: Yes I think sometimes body movement could occur but I always remain calm and solid but yes it must be kept in mind for all shots.

Terry: Very well said indeed. i reverted back to my old grip and felt comfortable right away. I think you are very right the thumb curling must have been causing the tightening of the grip sooner than required. I got good results after reverting back. I will take note of the 3 points you mentioned and hope to get my consistency as much as possible.. Lets see.

Pottr: Indeed what you quoted from Vmax is of GOLD. That was being my problem for quite some time but now I have understood; or seem to have Thanks for highlighting the fundamentals... Will keep them in mind.

Rocketroy: Thanks for the mention. I have Jack's videos downloaded and watch them at times... that helps in getting back to the basics and having them corrected; but i am getting the basics corrected and recorrected for the last 12 years hahaha so no more of that for the time being.

OK Guys after responding to almost all of you now I will reveal what happened last night when i went in. I hadn't much in mind and your comments weren't there but the last one was Vmax's comment so I promised myself to keep that in mind and relax. Vmax's comment did the trick trust me guys... The same comment re quoted by myself and Pottr above. So I did one thing- I let my thumb hang down straight like i normally used to. Played a couple of sloppy frames and then my mates (we were 7 people there) wanted to play a game called CENTURY. I am not sure if that is played there but the rule is that there are no reds and only colours and you keep potting until you score the preset target. So we decided for 500 and same colour could be potted thrice and then another colour and so on...

I started the game playing just about ok but kept Vmax's advice in mind and calmed and relaxed myself and let the thumb hang down and did not think over technique even a single bit. I felt I was getting in flow as I made a break of 25.. Then after a couple of missed chances what happened.....

Woooooooooooo i couldnt believe it my mates could not believe it that it was me playing so bad for the last ten days and I came up with a break of 100 only potting pinks and blacks... That was something big time and I noticed during that break that my rythym timing everything went in to place.. I just kept my nerves and kept going... I made 500 when the score of the mates was not above 350... I needed 9 after another break of 55 to end my target so I potted a pink and placed a quarter ball black.. Then I stunned it with check side (due to stun the side reverses and becomes a running side) and the cue ball went to top cushion then side cushion then due to running side went to hit the side cushion towards the baulk side of the blue pocket and went smoothly and ended at a full ball yellow someone made a comment 'just like ronnie' hahahhaa I will never even be close to that but that comment made my day and I felt that moment sweetly.... Accomplished, overjoyed, excited, content and satisfied.

While going home and shaking hands with them all everyone who used to say hard luck sidd, better luck next time, its your timing relax etc were like hey man good game, well played, carry on etc.

All thanks to Vmax's comment really... I agree with pottr it must be pinned to the forum thread list. All thanks to Terry's advice and comments that enabled me to play better. And now i fear loosing that form again cuz I loose that quite so quickly but I will keep in mind Terry's 3 points for that... Lets see!!!

Thanks a million guys; you all are the best.

i might have married snooker had i not had a wife Cheers
              "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

Well done Sidd, pleased for you.

I think a lot of the fundamentals are skipped over too much.

Well as long as you dont say any cue will do Pottr i dont mind
                Personally, I can't pot a sausage without being used to a cue. Well that's perhaps untrue but I certainly can't score with the consistency I do wth my own. But I have known lads who can pick up a cue and play great stuff with little thought.

When I was 13/14, I played a frame after our match with a lad named Paul Dunthorne - who has tragically passed since -
                He couldn't be bothered to use his own cue so he played with mine. He potted a long red following my break off and said to me "how do you pot balls with this thing".
                Ten minutes later he was clearing up the colours for a 142 (which remains the highest score against me) when after the green he started laughing, looked at my bat and said "It's not that bad a cue is it?"

Fond memory, RIP Mr Dunthorne.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                  Well done Sidd, pleased for you.

I think a lot of the fundamentals are skipped over too much.

Personally, I can't pot a sausage without being used to a cue. Well that's perhaps untrue but I certainly can't score with the consistency I do wth my own. But I have known lads who can pick up a cue and play great stuff with little thought.

When I was 13/14, I played a frame after our match with a lad named Paul Dunthorne - who has tragically passed since -
                  He couldn't be bothered to use his own cue so he played with mine. He potted a long red following my break off and said to me "how do you pot balls with this thing".
                  Ten minutes later he was clearing up the colours for a 142 (which remains the highest score against me) when after the green he started laughing, looked at my bat and said "It's not that bad a cue is it?"

Fond memory, RIP Mr Dunthorne.
                  Thanks for that having spent £450 on a new cue you are not making me feel better

Comment

I wouldn't worry about parting with a decent amount of cash for a decent cue. Quality costs, have you read my cue contest thread?

The cue that Mr Dunthorne picked up wasn't actually a cheap cue. But I was merely stating the story as evidence that there are players out there who can pick up a cue and adapt to it fairly quickly.

Personally, I can't pot a ball to a decent standard with a new cue until I've had a fair few hours practice. Even then it must be close to my familiar spec or I will never get it. Doesn't matter if it's a JPU or a JJB!

I can't play with a cue to any decent standard with a tip bigger than 9.5, a thick taper or that's too light. I can tell when it's off too.

But there are those out there who can adapt to cues quicker than others regardless of ability. The old pros can pick up anything is a load of tosh. I'm sure some can and it wouldn't worry them too much. But I know there'd be more who wouldn't want to chance it.
                    Last edited by pottr; 20 December 2012, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Sidd, I personally think there is no Universally accepted correct technique which works for every single plaeyer in the world, for example the grip which Works for Ronnie might be different from the one coached by Nic Barrow, they both may be effective for them, but that might not work for you, so what is the right technique? the correct grip ? the perfect cue action ? The answer is i think, they are all different for different players.

My personal opinion is whichever technique and fundamentals you use to pot 10 out 10 straight blues (with no side, just play follow, stun and screw back), that is the perfect technique and fundamental suitable for you, and you should always play with the same stance, same grip and same cue action etc all the time and make these your second nature.
                      If you pot 10 out of 10 blues with your feet i recommend you should always play with your feet.

Remember whatever you do to pot 10 out of 10 straight blues, is the right technique for you. (well thats what i think)

Comment

I agree, Sam.

When I am playing well I know one thing,,,, down in the stance position I feel so comfortable, so that's tells me that my style suits me and my bones..
                        JP Majestic
                        3/4
                        57"
                        17oz
                        9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by Sam-Romford View Post
                          Sidd, I personally think there is no Universally accepted correct technique which works for every single plaeyer in the world, for example the grip which Works for Ronnie might be different from the one coached by Nic Barrow, they both may be effective for them, but that might not work for you, so what is the right technique? the correct grip ? the perfect cue action ? The answer is i think, they are all different for different players.

My personal opinion is whichever technique and fundamentals you use to pot 10 out 10 straight blues (with no side, just play follow, stun and screw back), that is the perfect technique and fundamental suitable for you, and you should always play with the same stance, same grip and same cue action etc all the time and make these your second nature.
                          If you pot 10 out of 10 blues with your feet i recommend you should always play with your feet.

Remember whatever you do to pot 10 out of 10 straight blues, is the right technique for you. (well thats what i think)
                          Right said Sam.. Very true. I will do that (10 blues) with this concept in mind and get over with this technique question once and for all... hopefully cheers
                          "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

Working...
                          X