Strange mental block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange mental block

I have recently come a little susceptible to missing easyish shots, with a bizarre mental feeling beforehand that I am about to miss it!

I have in the past had a weakness for not giving easy shots their due attention, resulting in easy misses – I guess that's something we've all been a little guilty of. But this is not the same. I have learnt pretty well recently, I think, to respect the easy shots and iron out some of the silly misses.

But lately, I have had this feeling, getting down on, say, a straight black off the spot, that it is not going to go in, without having any reason to suspect that I'm going to miss it, only to be proved right.

It is difficult to put into words how this feeling is different from a general lack of confidence, but it is just different.

There doesn't seem to be any link with thoughts of a big break, i.e. it doesn't come particularly when the remaining balls are well placed or whatever, but it is niggling me slightly.

Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by The Statman
    I have recently come a little susceptible to missing easyish shots, with a bizarre mental feeling beforehand that I am about to miss it!

I have in the past had a weakness for not giving easy shots their due attention, resulting in easy misses – I guess that's something we've all been a little guilty of. But this is not the same. I have learnt pretty well recently, I think, to respect the easy shots and iron out some of the silly misses.

But lately, I have had this feeling, getting down on, say, a straight black off the spot, that it is not going to go in, without having any reason to suspect that I'm going to miss it, only to be proved right.

It is difficult to put into words how this feeling is different from a general lack of confidence, but it is just different.

There doesn't seem to be any link with thoughts of a big break, i.e. it doesn't come particularly when the remaining balls are well placed or whatever, but it is niggling me slightly.

Any thoughts?
    I find that if I ever play a 50:50 shot,usually mid range and making half to three quarter ball contact, and expect to miss then I will always miss it.

I think the thing to do is just get down on the shot and not even contemplate missing it before you play the shot.

Comment

Any thoughts?
      PMA !

Much easier said than done i know. But try to dismiss/ignore/counteract any negative thoughts. IF necessary get up from the shot and then prepare for it again.
      "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

what DD said is correct. PMA

easier said than done, but

when youre down on the shot and have that thought, get back off the shot, picture the shot going correctly in your mind as you do your approach to the shot again.

best of luck..

Comment

I have no idea what PMA stands for – the only thing I can think of is pre-menstrual something and I'm pretty sure that's not the reason.

Yes I think I'm fairly well disciplined in getting back up off the shot if there's a distraction – say, someone walking past or possible change of mind as to what ball to play position for. Maybe I don't apply the same discipline when I think I'm going to miss.

Comment

'Positive mental attitude'

Comment

Originally Posted by Robert602
              'Positive mental attitude'
              Ah yes, that would be it. I can cancel that doctor's appointment then.

Comment

Yes I think I'm fairly well disciplined in getting back up off the shot if there's a distraction – say, someone walking past or possible change of mind as to what ball to play position for. Maybe I don't apply the same discipline when I think I'm going to miss.
                try it a few times (if you wish) and see if you think it makes a difference. works for me. helps to focus on the shot again, as your thought has been distracted by something negative....

best of luck.

Comment

I have found recently when playing well that you can picture the object ball going in.

Must be confidence and PMA.

Comment

Originally Posted by dantuck_7
                    I have found recently when playing well that you can picture the object ball going in.

Must be confidence and PMA.
                    Or sheer chance on my behalf!

Comment

There's some truth about this picturing dantuck mentioned. I believe that's more a part of technique than PMA. Confidence, of course, should always be there.

Comment

Well, I am picturing the object ball going in before each pot I am going to take - my coach suggested me to do that when I am aiming, so I can see the point of contact of cue ball and object ball
                        ZIPPIE FOR CHAIRMAN

Comment

I don't have a problem picturing it going in before the shot – the problem is picturing that it has gone in after the shot!

Comment

Then you need to work harder on your mental power, Statman

Comment

Working...
                            X