feather, or not?.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feather, or not?.

I was practicing tonight and for the last 40 minute I thought I would up my tempo. This in itself prompted myself not to feather. I just did my normal prepping, standing before going down on line, drew back the cue, pause then hit. Holy cow, everything was going in, well 90% was.

I found with the no feathers I quickly checked all my points then did the rear pause and hit. The follow through was great too, in fact some shots were hit too good. Position was also fantastic, plus I was rock steady on the shots.

Anyone else toyed with this no feather business ?, we know FU does it. I think it might be vmax on here who has no feathers too, not 100% sure though..
    JP Majestic
    3/4
    57"
    17oz
    9.5mm Elk

I think one positive of not feathering is that it forces you to line up the shot and stops you adjusting while you do the feathers. I remember steve davis writing an article questioning whether feathers were needed. In my mind I think it does help under pressure to loosen the grip and arm by doing a few feathers. Apart from that I wouldnt worry about it.
    coaching is not just for the pros
    www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

Throtts: well yes the only one we all would know in this regard is Fu.. But as Vmax once advised me, you must not think that by getting the results only once a new adjustment would work excellent and it the real secret for success forever. Try not feathering for a few more times in different days and see if your consistency is still there; if yes you can stick to it, if not better reverting back.

Like Coach Gavin says the good thing with it is that you only move the cue once so irregular movement chances minimized but at the same time you need to have nerves of steel in roder to carry on with it every time and for every shot including those where the cue ball is tight in the cushion and long straight stuns and screw from the baulk.

feathering sort of gives what is called the rythym and hence is natural to go that way... Rest what works best for you is your thing!
      "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

Gavin, is right about the aim, I have tried going down on the shot without moving the cue until I was right down over the shot with my chest to the cue, this made me/forced me to aim the shot more from the standing position and found it was more consistant

So if you want the best of both try this, and once your down on the shot and set, start a few feathers.
        Watch John Higgins he does it best,
        When your playing good keep a wee note pad and jot down you insights and when your form dips check back to this and see how it compares.

Comment

I used to play with no feathers, for about 6 months to a year. At first it was great, but then I'd start to get lazy about it and I'd end up just getting down and hitting things rather then taking my time and thinking about things a bit more and going through the usual steps. I now play like Selby as advised by my coach; two feathers (eyes on cue ball), front pause, eyes switch to object ball during pause, pull cue back at a fairly slow pace and deliver. Slows my game down, allows consistently timed shots and therefore allows optimum concentration on all shots. All the best, Will :snooker:
          "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

ive always played with no feathers,i do ok but tried with feathers but some times feels like it mucks my timing up.
            H.b.142

Comment

I think I don't feather at all, I point my cue at the cue ball, maybe (not sure) have a tiny little feather when putting the tip up close to the cue ball, pause it there, look at the contact point on the object ball and shoot. The front pause is the most important thing in this technique, hold it for a couple of seconds (more when playing distance shots) while locking the eyes onto the contact point of the object ball and then just shoot.
              The sighting is done before getting down into the stance, the spin on the cue ball and the pace of the shot I am about to play is already in my mind before I get down into the stance so all I try to think about when down in the stance is focussing on the contact point of the object ball

Comment

If a person plays better with no feathering then one of two things were happening with their previous feathering mode.

The first is they were unconsciously making micro-adjustments during the feathering and also the feathering was allowing time for their upper body to move and unless you use a video camera and frame-by-frame analysis you will never know you're doing it.

The second is, what a person decides to not feather they will rely much more on a front pause to ensure everything is lined up correctly when they are in the address position. I am an advocate of a good front pause for all players as I believe it does help the rhythm and timing.

So...why not have the best of both worlds? You can do a MAXIMUM of 2-3 feathers and then use a good front pause and during this front pause lock your eyes on the object ball (unless you are under 35 and can do it at the rear pause) and then a slow backswing and smooth delivery, driving the hand to the chest (imagine hitting the object ball with the tip).

I've found in my own experience and with a lot of students the good front pause really helps the rhythm and smooths them out.

Terry
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments and help.

Yes, I did the best of both today and it works well. I never will be a MEGA Murphy feather, way too much mechanical movement there for me.

I have really been getting down low so I can really feel the chest contact point and my chin on the stick, this is working a treat too.

Have a good evening, guys..
                  JP Majestic
                  3/4
                  57"
                  17oz
                  9.5mm Elk

Comment

We all can count on Terry, as always

Comment

Sidd:

I'm working with a guy from Islamabad who is starting a website called 'snooker.pk' and plans to launch Jan 1st I believe. You may want to get in touch with his as he is looking for supporters in Pakistan especially. I will be one of the referenced international coaches on his site I believe.

Terry
                      Terry Davidson
                      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

WoW! This is interesting Terry. I am already in touch with Mr Cheema. In fact he has asked me to wrtie articles on snooker or blogs for snoooker.pk It is indeed great to know that you would be referenced there as an international coach... Its a small world we live in this is indeed great news!

Comment

Frazz is one of the best players on the forum. He has little to no feathers with his cue action if memory serves.

Comment

dont think about it just do it
                            tha what!

Comment

Working...
                            X