Firmer grip for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firmer grip for

Long shots. I am sure my loose grip was not pushing the cue through straight. Been experimenting the last few days and find the firmer grip on long pots are giving much better and higher results.

Might be because its giving me a much better feel as far as the contact point on my grip hand or as I say the cue going through straighter. May as well be because the long pots need that bit of extra power hence why the cue may slightly be going off line using my looser grip..

Also i mean "firmer", not strangling the butt very tight.

Anyone else adjust the grip for different shots..
    JP Majestic
    3/4
    57"
    17oz
    9.5mm Elk

No... just keep in mind that you should always be in solid contact with the cue with the area between thumb and index. During your backswing when opening your hand, your palm and fingers (especially middle finger to pinky) should maintain contact with the cue, too. If you don't keep them in contact, the cue is free to float around. This can cause off-straight cueing.

Comment

Hi throtts,
      i have found the same thing. I think that because i put more thought and effort into what looks and is a more difficult shot, i think about the grip and think about how i must not grip too tight. I think this leads me to just go too far the other way and ultimately end up missing the pot because the hand hasn't re-closed at the point of contact. I would suggest you don't think about anything other than the shot on long pots. Save the technical thoughts for the practice table and short to medium shots. The extra draw-back needed for most long shots will open the hand naturally anyway. good luck.

Comment

It's not how firm or loose the grip is but that it shouldn't tighten at all until the end of the delivery. For higher power shots too many players will tighten the grip during the delivery and usually before the strike of the cueball in order to get the higher acceleration.

If you can avoid doing this you will cue straighter

Terry
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Working...
        X