Practise sessions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practise sessions

Hi all, just wondering if any of you have a bit of a 'routine' you carry out.

Lately I have found myself doing a lineup at the start, knocking in a few 20s . Then ill 'scatter' the reds a bit and play from there. Next ill try and take all the colours from the spots. Dissapointed today when the black fell short, it was a tight cut.

Then ill rack them up, and 'play' a frame.

I don't have a routine as such but would say with practice sessions and it may sound daft is to just make sure that your practicing something.For example practice stunning the black in and playing for an imaginary red above black spot and once you pot 10 in a row with position then move onto something else like 5 reds between pink and black and once you clear them add more reds and colours etc..... I just feel with these small routines it helps me keep my eye in and you come away with a sense of achievement as its easy to just go up for practice sessions and come away with nothing.
    " and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green. "

Comment

Pot the black as many times as you can in ether black corner pockets, first goal is to 10 then 20,50,100. takes 20min to do 100. Enjoy

Comment

Cheers chaps.

Im relativly new to snooker, well more of a comeback, used to play a lot when I was about 12 . Played in a local comp, knocked out in first round. It was black ball game I was quite low of the black and had a job to cut the black into the botton, which I did, but the white droped straight in the middle

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
          Pot the black as many times as you can in ether black corner pockets, first goal is to 10 then 20,50,100. takes 20min to do 100. Enjoy
          Was doing that a while back playing billiards, can be a pain to keep it going.

Comment

I start with the line up. Then practice 'following in' the cue ball on a straight blue into middle pocket, then screwing the white into the opposite middle pocket. You can also do this using the corner pockets (but this is much harder). I also mix it up using a line up of some red and the pink and black on their spot, but the reds are in line with the pink across the table. Clearing the colours is also a good one to practice. Some billiards play is also good for white ball control. Also practice safety shots using just he black ball on its spot and the cue ball from the D (like a respotted black situation). Another good one is to see how many times you cn sink the pink or blue off its spot (as above: first goal is to 10 then 20,50,100). Enjoy your practice and you will get better.

: )
            My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
            I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

But yeah, for the serious snooker player its vital in a players development in around the black, understanding the (back cushion) all the angles half, three quarter ball and all the inbetweens. Also if limited with time this is for you..
              Put a greyhound in the meter and do half hour practice sessions, try and do a tone, a real grownups practice, love it!

Might play some billiards when I'm older but not quite there yet though, Iv just started playing with two point contact technique

Originally Posted by narl View Post
              Was doing that a while back playing billiards, can be a pain to keep it going.
              Last edited by j6uk; 17 March 2013, 09:18 AM. Reason: add

Comment

Can you explain the 2 contact point technique, please?

Comment

Stand up stance with just bridge hand and grip, no chest or chin, old school style.

Comment

I do quite a few practise routines but one that I've recently added to my repertoire is to place the pink on its spot and pot it in such a way that the white is in position to pot the pink again. Rinse and repeat.

I've managed to get around 7 pinks until I go totally out of position and have to restart. It's really helped my positional play.

Comment

Yes you can do it with any color and the pink is the best scoring ball on the table because it simply goes into four pockets.. I must stress that the best thing about doing repeat potting of the black, not only because its the highest scoring ball on the table and you get to know the most crucial cushion on the table but also, your only potting it into two pockets so your doing less mileage and your playing all the shots to stay in position.. If you can do 20 blacks with no miss your on your way and you'll notice immediate improvement Enjoy
                      Last edited by j6uk; 17 March 2013, 03:43 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Blacks off the spot is a great routine i used to do it regular . I would not recommend the line up as there are far too many options when you lose control of the white , its no good for pinpoint accuracy .

Comment

Well today, I had pink & black on spots with 4 reds between.

Best I could manage was 3 reds 3 colours.

Managed to clear all colours off the spots.

Then a little suprise, as I was messing around a chap approached me who was part of a tournament, they were a man short & could see I was keen.

I agreed to play, but warning the chap I not very good.

I had 2 frames in the comp I lost them both but the other guys are really good players. I made some nice pots, scoring a 16 red black red black. But I was well away from the capabilities of these fellas. But the experience was good.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                            I will try this tomorrow. I've got a 6 hours practise session planned

Originally Posted by Rabbithunter View Post
                            Well today, I had pink & black on spots with 4 reds between.

Best I could manage was 3 reds 3 colours.
                            Yes I do this a lot. It's a lot harder then it looks. I've managed to clear it a few times but you have to be very precise with positioning.
                            Last edited by cyberheater; 17 March 2013, 09:06 PM.

Comment

6 hours is a long time muck , perhaps a little too long , once you start losing your focus and concentration you become sloppy and can pick up bad habits .

Comment

Working...
                              X