My first ever practice video clips... FINALLY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by ace man View Post

Much better than I thought. You move less on a shot than me. I don't think you have any reason to feel frustrated technique wise. You're not a pro, are you?
    What worries me is your nonchalant approach to the shot, and it is obvious that you don't pay enough attention to destination of the cueball. Now I know you weren't 100% concentrated because of camera etc, but look at how often you ended up by the cushion?
    I do think you have very nice natural rythm, and have potential to score big breaks, but from videos posted one could only see how you basically shoot and stand. It is impossible to tell how good you are with: one cushion position, two cushions, maintaining right angle on the black, being on the right side of the blue, in and out of baulk position, spins, the rest, long pots, shots to nothing, shot selection...etc.
    Perhaps it would be a good idea to try a video with a drill which requires more demanding position and thinking. Also some long pots where you avoid a pack of reds and colours and send the cueball to the baulk using the angles.
    Thanks a lot for the kind words and feedback. I shall soon upload another video keeping in view your suggestions once I practice on the adjustments that I am trying to improve. Once I get that in to my technique a bit, I shall upload another video.
    "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

Originally Posted by LeeP
      Lol lol lol yeh nice pipe indeed!!!
      Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
      This thread has been great and I really liked your introduction, very open and kind. You make me think I can speak my mind

So, sincerely I feel to take the game you have now to - the 100 break maker who dishes if you leave him in.. Is a pipe dream.
      Its not about tweaking a few things here and there, eat less, gym, on tsf, change me grip. No imo,
      It would be a life changer because, that player you wanna be, is a bread apart.

I can tell you as a player who took that road of improvement, the changes it made in all areas of my life, were immense.
      I gave the table my time, focus, dedication, respect and it rewarded me in not only playing well and scoring heavy but, I started to see possibilities on and off the table. Developing a strong mind and positive outlook..

Okay enough for now:snooker:
      I totally understand and agree to your point of view. It is indeed what it would take no wonder. However, I am not a professional player yet absolutely fanatically in love with it and believe that passion can defy the odds... lets see. I can not leave my job or other responsibilities and I know the respect, time, effort the table demands... Am trying to do the best that I can and its not easy for me that I would do a few things and become what I want to become in this game. I am already 36 you see and do not know for sure how many years do I have left in this game for me; but whatever time I have, till whatever time I can play; I will make it the best for me and for that I am trying hard with all the limitations that I have, I really am trying hard.

Comment

Originally Posted by Sidd View Post
        I totally understand and agree to your point of view. It is indeed what it would take no wonder. However, I am not a professional player yet absolutely fanatically in love with it and believe that passion can defy the odds...
        .. and ultimately, if this is something you want to do, what other people think is irrelevant. Your time is your own to do with what you please, and everyone needs dreams and goals. Just make sure to set yourself modest short term goals as well as long term goals - like making a century.
        "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
        - Linus Pauling

Comment

Originally Posted by nrage View Post
          .. and ultimately, if this is something you want to do, what other people think is irrelevant. Your time is your own to do with what you please, and everyone needs dreams and goals. Just make sure to set yourself modest short term goals as well as long term goals - like making a century.
          Family comes first nrage, to bring children into this world you must give them the best of yourself, show them they are loved. Absence does not make the heart grow fonder. I think Sidd needs to prioritise his family over his snooker and play only when his mind is at it's most content. His concentration will be better because he will be in a better place emotionally.
          Taking the hassles of the the working day straight to the snooker table is not conducive to playing well, and then playing badly only makes it worse, it's simply a fact of nature.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
            Family comes first nrage, to bring children into this world you must give them the best of yourself, show them they are loved. Absence does not make the heart grow fonder. I think Sidd needs to prioritise his family over his snooker and play only when his mind is at it's most content. His concentration will be better because he will be in a better place emotionally.
            Taking the hassles of the the working day straight to the snooker table is not conducive to playing well, and then playing badly only makes it worse, it's simply a fact of nature.
            Did I say family didn't come first? I think you're reading too much into my reply. The reason *I* don't get to play much at all is family. So, I agree family comes first. However, your opinion, my opinion or j6uk's opinion are completely irrelevant when it comes to Sidd's life - which was my point.
            "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
            - Linus Pauling

Comment

36 is still fairly young for someone who's still improving. I understand when you say your family and business is the main focus, totally. I am also with someone who wants to improve at this beautiful game which, for me, is about trying to master something to the best of my own ability.
              Its all about the positives, that's this game. You know?! If your 55 behind and you need to dish-up to the black to win by a few points, then you must be positive.
              I see you getting your head down to do real practice 6-9 hrs a week. If your up for it 'because you said you get bored after 30min' anyway, it could be good not only for you, your goals but, the people watching you progress.. If you did proper focused practice for 2-3hrs 3 times a week, that would resonate to all around you, friends family and importantly, in and around your club and town. A youngster watching you practice could inspire them to do the same.
              Who would call you crazy then

I totally understand and agree to your point of view. It is indeed what it would take no wonder. However, I am not a professional player yet absolutely fanatically in love with it and believe that passion can defy the odds... lets see. I can not leave my job or other responsibilities and I know the respect, time, effort the table demands... Am trying to do the best that I can and its not easy for me that I would do a few things and become what I want to become in this game. I am already 36 you see and do not know for sure how many years do I have left in this game for me; but whatever time I have, till whatever time I can play; I will make it the best for me and for that I am trying hard with all the limitations that I have, I really am trying hard.
              Last edited by j6uk; 24 June 2013, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Nrage, Vmax and J6uk,

You are all correct guys. It takes patience and dedication. However, we just cant always become what we want to become. but then dreams are important one needs to have ambitions and dreams yet priorities are to be respected under all costs.

I do try to give my kid the best of me whenever we are together. Sundays are totally off work and off snooker and I take him to the zoo or the park that he loves. On weekdays we watch cartoons together and play games on his tablet together. sometimes i take him to the park on weekdays every now and then and do not go to the club. Such are the priorities that I cant help not going to the club after work. i know its bad and it ruins your focus but then that is how I am managing for the moment. I truly understand that for me 1st thing is to raise my kid(s) as a good passionate father 2nd is to make my company on of the top most in the country and 3rd to be a decent serious better sound progressive snooker player. I could have been one of those players who come to the club enjoy a few frames with friends de-stress unwind and go home happily. i thought snooker was like that for me... But I don't know what happened down the line and snooker became oxygen. You dont know if oxygen is there or not you cant see it or feel it but you know its there cuz you are breathing and are alive

Quite honestly, I do not have any ambitions in the direction of becoming a professional player yet I love this game to the point that not playing it well hurts. I might enter city tournament like last time and may even play provincial if I qualify but then that is it for me. However, making a century or two and regular 50-60-70-80 and clearing the table every now and then is what I really aspire for.

As for the progress, its coming along. I went in yesterday and there was this coach playing who offered me to play with him. We played 5 frames and I won 2. During the frames we chatted a bit about technique 'his favourite topic' and in the end he said to me that I am a pretty good player and that my knowledge about the game is fantastic. He added that he would like to play with me whenever he is around because finding serious players is not easy here. I was really glad to have heard so. he is running a coaching academy along two other coaches including one trained by Terry Davidson and wanted me to participate in learning and coaching as well- and I excused because that I could not do I have limited time to play only. Do you really think it was easy for a person like me to say no to such an offer? It was absolutely hard but I had to respect my priorities in life. Having such worthy comments from a pro coach is more than enough for me to keep going yeah

PROGRESS: well well now. I am back to regular 40 odds again and feel so happy. I cant make 80s yet but hey making a 41 and then 35 means a frame in two visits right Yeah I still play sloppy at times but I dont get frustrated over technique anymore and that is a big improvement. I should have done this video years ago. But anyway, now I know I have to work on two-three things and the rest is fine. What is needed extra is FOCUS and determination and practice. Switching back to boxers has helped me a lot and having this outward wrist cock is fantastic as my long pots have considerably improved all of a sudden really. Still have the elbow drop and am working on that.

Comment

I'm guessing now that your gonna start getting real serious and take a different approach to your game. So I'll look out for your next video.
                  I'd like to see you get past me on the next video and clear 15 reds from black to blue

Nrage, Vmax and J6uk,
                  Quite honestly, I do not have any ambitions in the direction of becoming a professional player yet I love this game to the point that not playing it well hurts. I might enter city tournament like last time and may even play provincial if I qualify but then that is it for me. However, making a century or two and regular 50-60-70-80 and clearing the table every now and then is what I really aspire for.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                    I'm guessing now that your gonna start getting real serious and take a different approach to your game. So I'll look out for your next video.
                    I'd like to see you get past me on the next video and clear 15 reds from black to blue
                    Now you are talkin

It's amazing to note how you guessed I am a person who would not take positive motivation but go after anything with negative motivation, which is what you just did right Oh yes sir I shall be posting that video (clearing all reds with black/pink/blue) pretty soon indeed inshAllah. Thanks for challenging me like that; I can feel the adrenaline right now... Oh I am on it !!!

Comment

Keep practicing Sidd and you will improve !!

I am working on my game too and I know that I am slowly getting better with all the practice. Go Sidd!!
                      My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                      I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Yes, good luck, Sidd.

The secret is to play this game correctly but still keeping it feeling natural. It it don't feel right I do not do it. I think we all go on about this and that ( bob, aiming, sighting, cue straight, stance, grip ) but this and that have all got to come together at the same time, THAT guys is what the top guys do 90% of the time.

Good luck to all us snookerholics..
                        JP Majestic
                        3/4
                        57"
                        17oz
                        9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
                          Keep practicing Sidd and you will improve !!

I am working on my game too and I know that I am slowly getting better with all the practice. Go Sidd!!
                          thanks... and best of luck to you as well.

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                            Yes, good luck, Sidd.

The secret is to play this game correctly but still keeping it feeling natural. It it don't feel right I do not do it. I think we all go on about this and that ( bob, aiming, sighting, cue straight, stance, grip ) but this and that have all got to come together at the same time, THAT guys is what the top guys do 90% of the time.

Good luck to all us snookerholics..
                            Absolutely... nothing else could have explained it better.
                            Get the things right ... all of em... then practice on em like crazy so those become second nature... then play and once everything falls in to place and comes together... wallah! there you are. I would rate the pros doing this at 95% whereas us mortals have to struggle even for 50%

Well to me, I get motivated by that an not frustrated, because you have to respect the difference in a god and a mortal

Comment

HI SIDD,
                              You need to work on your line of aim ,you are doing a common fault.you need to find the line of aim from your standing positition,point the cue along it ,then move forward onto the shot with no head movement if possible. Have a look at your video one ,long blues, your cue is point to the wall as you get down on the shot,so this means your are trying to find the line of aim while on the shot,witch is very in -consistant.
                              A good cue Mantra to develop this further is .
                              1. find the line of aim
                              2. drop down on the SAME line of aim.
                              3. deliver the cue along the Same line of aim.

Next time you miss a pot ,it is because of one of the point above.

In Summary ,you need to visit a Coach ,you also have other technical faults that needs work, (grip,level cueing,body movement and positition,cue action,)

Happy Playing

Comment

Originally Posted by topcoach147max View Post
                                HI SIDD,
                                You need to work on your line of aim ,you are doing a common fault.you need to find the line of aim from your standing positition,point the cue along it ,then move forward onto the shot with no head movement if possible. Have a look at your video one ,long blues, your cue is point to the wall as you get down on the shot,so this means your are trying to find the line of aim while on the shot,witch is very in -consistant.
                                A good cue Mantra to develop this further is .
                                1. find the line of aim
                                2. drop down on the SAME line of aim.
                                3. deliver the cue along the Same line of aim.

Next time you miss a pot ,it is because of one of the point above.

In Summary ,you need to visit a Coach ,you also have other technical faults that needs work, (grip,level cueing,body movement and positition,cue action,)

Happy Playing
                                Welcome to the fun factory....
                                JP Majestic
                                3/4
                                57"
                                17oz
                                9.5mm Elk

Comment

Working...
                                X