No announcement yet.

Another sighting/dominant eye question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• because the thread has turned into a joke. Im just saying I was centre chin with a left eye dominance but used both my eyes for aiming and sighting the shot. End of

Chris
    www.ChrisSmallSnookerCoaching.co.uk

Comment

• Originally Posted by chrissmall147 View Post
      because the thread has turned into a joke.
      welcome to TSF

I find that most people are explaining exactly the same thing but because they use slightly different description/words that others jump up and down and throw their toys out the Ethernet-pram

love it
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

because the thread has turned into a joke. Im just saying I was centre chin with a left eye dominance but used both my eyes for aiming and sighting the shot. End of

Chris
        Another refusal, that's your perogative I suppose, but to be honest I expected better.

So folks you can cue centre chin and still use your dominant eye, but as to why, well the experts won't tell us so we'll have to work it out for ourselves.
        I know what I think and I'll stick to it until proven otherwise.

Comment

• I stated much the same a few day back, Christopher..

Its all Steve's thought so I now declare him "a scally wag",,,
          JP Majestic
          3/4
          57"
          17oz
          9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Notice how the player in the picture below cues centre chin but has his head turned to the right in order to sight with his dominant left eye.
            It's clear his head is turned to the right because his head is absolutely square on to the camera whereas the line of the shot and therefore the cue is going across the picture.

Centre chin cueing but left eye dominant due to head or body position turned to his submissive side in order to get the cue nearer to his dominant left eye.

Comment

• I see what your saying in this pic. Good pic, top player.. Look at the determination in his face, can't teach that

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
              Centre chin cueing but left eye dominant due to head or body position turned to his submissive side in order to get the cue nearer to his dominant left eye.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14303[/ATTACH]

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]14303[/ATTACH]
                Haha, your a closet comic, Steve...
                JP Majestic
                3/4
                57"
                17oz
                9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Hi vmax

Wondered when you where going to bring something like this up. Boy your obsessed. This turn in my head there is due to my medical condition. If I was to have a picture taken standing up with camera square on my head would tilt this way aswell. This has nothing to do with me preferring my left eye so sorry to disappoint you. If you can find a pic of me mid 90s or slightly later when my neck was fine you will find that I did not have this tilt in my head.

Cheers Chris small
                  www.ChrisSmallSnookerCoaching.co.uk

Comment

• Chris:

You don't think vmax is going to let you get away with that do you? I tried to tell him the same thing, that is was to relieve the strain on my lower neck but he still insists it's because I'm left eye preferred. I agree about the 'obsessed' part.

Terry
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Also, Steve will say Chris had no tilt in the mid 90s because his eyes were younger thus having no dominant eye.

Steve will not give up and I am not saying he should. I have a son similar to him and when they latch on to something / a subject, then it will be investigated in great clinical detail.
                      JP Majestic
                      3/4
                      57"
                      17oz
                      9.5mm Elk

Comment

• The thing is even if you do cue with your head turned slightly, If it is a natural position you can't include it in your argument , as your point is to take yourself out of your natural position and deliberately change head or feet position. Think about what you are saying,my brain is wrong it can't pick a line I have to turn to give it help, just doesn't sound right to me, but if it picks a line you drop down and you naturally are just one side or the other great, it's natural, you haven't forced anything, and surely that's better?.
                        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• I would love to find a laser device which I could fix to the edge of the leather on a top pocket. This would be used for students who say they can't sight the cue correctly.

What I would do is set the laser up with the cueball on the green or yellow spot so the laser is exactly over the edge of the leather and exactly cuts the cueball in half. Then I would ask the student to get down into his address position with the cue pointed EXACTLY at the edge of the leather and then I would ask the student to stay still, remove the cueball (turn off the lights if necessary) and turn the laser on.

If the laser bisects the tip of the cue and runs straight along the centre of the cue then I would say this student has no problem in his sighting but rather some other problem which causes him to deliver the cue crooked.

What I need is a laser that you can easily see and I'm going to do some research on it. Another way would be to find a laser which can be attached to the cue without interfering with the address position and have the student aim at the edge of the leather and while keeping him still turn on the laser and see exactly where it's pointed. That might be the better way but you couldn't turn the laser device on until after he sights the cue as if it was off the edge of the leather he would adjust it.

Now, let's say I do this and I find a student who is not able to aim at the edge of the leather. For this student I would get out my SightRite device and have him cue up to it and I believe he would see a broken line and I would get him to turn his head left and right until he was able to see a perfectly straight line. I would then snap a picture to show him where the cue is in relation to his eyes and also ask him to remember this set-up and then take a look at his whole action to see if any other corrections are needed in order for him to deliver consistently straight.

I think this process would resolve any issues a student has with his sighting but I also think the majority of players will be able to sight the cue very accurately at the edge of the leather. I'm going to try this myself without using a laser but doing a video and using Kinovia to draw a straight line from edge of leather to the cue, but I have to get the camera exactly right so the line will be vertical. Might have to set up the camera using a string from edge of leather to edge of leather on the yellow or green pocket.

Any comments? Anyone have any ideas on a suitable laser device? Someone has suggested a laser which attaches to golf clubs so I'll check that out.

Terry
                          Terry Davidson

Comment

Hi vmax

Wondered when you where going to bring something like this up. Boy your obsessed. This turn in my head there is due to my medical condition. If I was to have a picture taken standing up with camera square on my head would tilt this way aswell. This has nothing to do with me preferring my left eye so sorry to disappoint you. If you can find a pic of me mid 90s or slightly later when my neck was fine you will find that I did not have this tilt in my head.

Cheers Chris small
                            I could only find two pics Chris, and one of those was copryighted so I couldn't download it. It shows a similar stance and has you wearing an alice band like Paul hunter used to. I have no idea what year it was taken so maybe you could enlighten me or maybe even post a picture that you have of yourself when you cued differently.

As you can tell I need proof, not because I think you're lying, but because I think you're mistaken about putting the cue on the line of aim using both eyes, as I believe Terry is also mistaken.

You have read through these posts so you know my argument is that I believe that the dominant eye puts the cue on the line of aim, because the brain needs a single cue for this, and the information it gets from two eyes is two cues about two and a half inches apart coming in to a point from two directions, it can't put two cues on one line so therefore it chooses one over the other and naturally positions the head or body for this purpose.

This is how we know whether we are right or left eye dominant. You say you are left eye dominant but sighted with both.

If that's the case how do you know you are left eye dominant ? Surely if you sighted evenly with both eyes your brain would be putting both the cues it sees on two lines of aim that it also sees, and yet I don't believe the brain does this because the line of aim is actually only visualised and not really seen as it isn't a physical prescence.

This is the question that needs to be answered to put doubt into my belief, and rather than treating it as a joke, as a coach you should actually be taking it seriously enough to consider that it could very well be helpful to you when coaching someone in the future who has a sighting issue regarding their dominant eye.

Comment

• So there Chris, take that! You are wrong about what and why you align the cue and so am I, along with a lot of other good players and coaches.

You won't change his mind and I doubt whether he will change yours or mine. 'Nuff said.

Terry
                              Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                                So there Chris, take that! You are wrong about what and why you align the cue and so am I, along with a lot of other good players and coaches.

Terry
                                Where are they Terry ?
                                So far just you and Chris who both extoll the Nic Barrow method and are acting like my mother did when she caught me smoking when I was twelve, Do what I say, not what I do

You have a dominant eye, so has Chris, and have admitted to it, yet both claim to sight the shot using both eyes but neither have said that what they see when down in their stance is what nrage sees, ie: the cue coming from outside the line of aim to the centre of the cue ball with both eyes.

Again I ask for any top players who sight like nrage does to come forward and post on this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X