Hello again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello again.

Hi. Not so long ago I made a thread on pulling the cue back in a straight line. I've tried all the tips I was given but the problem is that my waist seems to get in the way so the cue has to move around it. Can you please help? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong as I've watch countless video's on stance, cue action e.t.c. Thanks

Book half a dozen lessons with a good coach.
    Should be quite a few in your area.

Comment

Originally Posted by Canny Tim View Post
      Hi. Not so long ago I made a thread on pulling the cue back in a straight line. I've tried all the tips I was given but the problem is that my waist seems to get in the way so the cue has to move around it. Can you please help? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong as I've watch countless video's on stance, cue action e.t.c. Thanks
      assuming you're in a reasonable stance Tim, your waist shouldn't come into play unless you are very, very overweight ... assuming you're right handed, right foot under the cue on the line of aim, left foot wherever is is comfortable about a shoulder width from your right ...

then rotate your hips clockwise until your grip hand is nicely clear to the right of your trouser pocket (say 1.5 or 2") ... if you use a chest contact point, it will now probably be a bit low and right of your right nipple ...

you should now be able to deliver the cue perfectly straight ... hope this helps

Comment

canny:

A coach would tell you 'move your hips out of the way'.

If right-handed, when you bend your left leg you should be sliding your hips to the left about 3" or so to equalize the weight on the 2 feet. In the address position there should be about 2" to 3" between the back of the grip hand thumb and your trouser pocket. This will allow free movement of the cue in the backswing and then delivery.

Terry
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

So rotate clockwise? I'm really slim so I'm just not rotating. I place my right foot on the shot line, straighten my leg and bend the left. I then awkwardly bend down to the shot.

Comment

Originally Posted by Canny Tim View Post
            So rotate clockwise? I'm really slim so I'm just not rotating. I place my right foot on the shot line, straighten my leg and bend the left. I then awkwardly bend down to the shot.
            it shouldn't feel awkward Tim ... the key thing is getting your grip hand nicely clear (say 2 inches right) of your trouser pocket ... Terry said slide hips left, I said rotate clockwise ...

are you getting that clearance without rotating/sliding your hips? also, how tall are you? just wondering in case that helps us advise you
            Last edited by DandyA; 19 August 2013, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Maybe get a friend to take a photo of your stance.

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
              I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
                it shouldn't feel awkward Tim ... the key thing is getting your grip hand nicely clear (say 2 inches right) of your trouser pocket ... Terry said slide hips left, I said rotate clockwise ...

are you getting that clearance without rotating/sliding your hips? also, how tall are you? just wondering in case that helps us advise you
                The rotation isn't awkward there just isn't one. The bending down is. I feel I'm leaning back in a sitting motion. I'm 6ft2.

Comment

Keep your back leg straight and make sure you are bending your knee forwards and not to the side or inwards.

This should rotate your hips unless one leg is much longer than the other.

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                  I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
                    Keep your back leg straight and make sure you are bending your knee forwards and not to the side or inwards.

This should rotate your hips unless one leg is much longer than the other.

I lock my right leg and bend the left. I do this without a twisting motion. I can apply a rotation though. Should I be leaning (applying more weight) on my left leg?

Comment

the weight should be nearly equal on both legs - but remember - always be comfortable in your stance
                      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Here's the great Jack Karnehm explaining it in video format; might make it easier to see.
                        When he talks about 'sticking your bottom to the left' and 'winding up the spring'. that's the twist of the hips that gets your waist out of the way of the shot, and stabilises you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP4RvZJMPd8

Comment

Originally Posted by cantpotforshíte View Post
                          Here's the great Jack Karnehm explaining it in video format; might make it easier to see.
                          When he talks about 'sticking your bottom to the left' and 'winding up the spring'. that's the twist of the hips that gets your waist out of the way of the shot, and stabilises you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP4RvZJMPd8
                          excellent, yep I do the slight hip twist to the left to get the right hip/waist out of the way of my right hand when delivering the cue
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                          X