Critique, please... (2nd try)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critique, please... (2nd try)

OK folks, please excuse the fact I've managed to wear the same T-shirt in the video as the last one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ86...e_gdata_player

I TRIED to shorten the bridge, honestly . Rear pause was something I also worked on, so hopefully this will come out in the video. I made a 66 and missed an easy blue but continued as if i'd potted it.

I honestly don't think I can shorten the distance between bridge and CB without it being very 'uncomfortable'.

Constructive comments appreciated.

Could cue a bit closer to the cue ball, little more snap in your follow-through, maybe up the tempo a tad and be smarter and more ambitious in setting up your practice routines
    You look good.

Originally Posted by humperdingle View Post
    OK folks, please excuse the fact I've managed to wear the same T-shirt in the video as the last one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ86...e_gdata_player

I TRIED to shorten the bridge, honestly . Rear pause was something I also worked on, so hopefully this will come out in the video. I made a 66 and missed an easy blue but continued as if i'd potted it.

I honestly don't think I can shorten the distance between bridge and CB without it being very 'uncomfortable'.

Constructive comments appreciated.

Comment

Bridge length - looks better but not consistently so
      when I shortened mine it felt terrible for quite a while (months) but know it is unconscious engrained
      Rear pause - it is there, perceptibly just but it is there
      I will leave the microscopic analysis to the TSF-coaches ... and j6uk
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I'm just that snooker club fella who knows when to stick a tenna in the fruti and win 250

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
        I will leave the microscopic analysis to the TSF-coaches ... and j6uk

Comment

Thanks... It's so difficult seeing the back pause, but when down on the shot, it feels like a really long pause! Maybe I need to do the count thing.

I also tried a 'walk-in', instead of the little 'step-in', but it felt really alien to me, and I wasn't seeing the angle correctly.

Think I need to study some pros playing to have a look at bridge to ball distance etc.

Comment

Your pauses look good especially the front one. On the next vid just get closer to the white and up the tempo.. See you tomorrow same time same place

Originally Posted by humperdingle View Post
            Thanks... It's so difficult seeing the back pause, but when down on the shot, it feels like a really long pause! Maybe I need to do the count thing.

I also tried a 'walk-in', instead of the little 'step-in', but it felt really alien to me, and I wasn't seeing the angle correctly.

Think I need to study some pros playing to have a look at bridge to ball distance etc.

Comment

Hi humperdingle. You have improved on your pauses especially the back pause but still a little inconsistent but a bit of practice will sort that out. What you must change is distance from cue ball to bridge hand though and as I said before this will sort out other problems right away. Move the hand closer in to roughly a hands length away. Then get the tip to the cue ball at the address position for better timing of the shot and better strike of the cue ball and this will also give you a better follow through also. You also have to cut down the length of your feathers aswell as they are needlessly too long. But moving the hand closer in will cut the feathers down straight away. You are too much out of control at the moment and doing what I said above will make you more compact and you will get the feeling of being more in control of the shot. For example the second shot of the video black of the spot and you ran out of position as your too long. You will manage this through perseverance and hard work on the practice table until you get used to the Important changes. All the best mate

Cheers Chris small
              www.ChrisSmallSnookerCoaching.co.uk

Comment

Yep, way too much pace on that 1st black!

The 3rd shot just about dribbled-in too

I honestly think the camera makes the distance between bridge and CB look longer than it is, but i'll try even closer next time.

Might even put a different T-shirt on

Comment

You definitely hit the ball well.

I'd definitely shorten the bridge length as others have said. And also get the tip closer to the white if you can. You're feathering up quite a long way from the cue ball.
                  WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                  Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Nothing really to add to the above comments, but to reiterate:

1. You are cueing up a good 2" from the cueball and that should be no more than 1/4'. That extra 1-3/4" comes right off the possible follow through you can get.

2. The distance from the 'V' of your bridge to the back of the cueball (not the tip of your cue) should be roughly the diameter of the 'D' or around 12" or so. Try placing the cueball on the brown spot and get down into the address position and check and see where your 'V' is in relation to the circle of the 'D'. Now slowly bring your cue forward (not your body though, shuffle the cue forward with your grip hand so you keep the forearm vertical). Barely touch the tip to the cueball and bring it back a bit and then ensure your grip forearm is vertical and try and remember this position. You can do the Terry Griffiths thing and place a light pencil mark on your cue between 11"-12" and then a piece of electrical tape where the front of your grip hand is and actually play like that for a bit and it will eventually become natural.

(All the books and coaches normally say 9" to 12" for the 'V' but I find for most players today 11' to 12" seems to work best and isn't too cramped.)

Terry
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Getting there Humpy, it's very close now, it's only minor(but important)things now, looks like you cue lovely and straight and stay still after the shot better now, everything has been said by better players than me, the only thing I would add is have the full shot worked out before you play it(one of my faults )this will help with not over or under hitting the white.
                      expect to see a clearance very soon, keep it up.
                      What is your average break on the line up ,are we just seeing the good ones, or is this typical,?
                      As has been said before change that line up set up ,it looks really weird lol.
                      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Thanks again, folks.

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                        Getting there Humpy, it's very close now, it's only minor(but important)things now, looks like you cue lovely and straight and stay still after the shot better now, everything has been said by better players than me, the only thing I would add is have the full shot worked out before you play it(one of my faults )this will help with not over or under hitting the white.
                        expect to see a clearance very soon, keep it up.
                        What is your average break on the line up ,are we just seeing the good ones, or is this typical,?
                        As has been said before change that line up set up ,it looks really weird lol.
                        Regarding average, I'm currently getting maybe 4 or 5 breaks of 50+ in a 2 hour practice. Not sure what an actual average would be as I frequently stop a break if I feel i've done something daft, just to replay a shot etc.
                        Lets just say i'm disappointed if I can't string at least 10 balls together without getting out of position.

What's weird about the line up? Too many reds past the blue and none past black?

Comment

Aye, far to many past the blue, you might even get a higher break, as when the reds are closer together between black and pink, and pink and blue and you have just under or over hit the white the next red up or down Is usually ok. Even one red below the black I think is a must, this shot back onto the black is quite common, so it's very good to practice it.(I would say there is far to big a gap between reds as the white went straight through them when you over hit it) I could be wrong maybe someone good could tell you. I guess an average is high 30s ,40 then, with a few high ones thrown in, what is the main reasons you break down? Figuring this out could help greatly, as you will then know what to do(I don't mean actual technique I can't help with that, )but say it was missing daft shots, that could point to concentration, or running out of position could be pre shot routine, that type of thing.
                          We are about the same level, maybe my average is 50s with a few 80s90s in a typical session , and sometimes I will run two or three centuries in,that's why I can't advise on technique not good enough, but I think we generally all make the same mistakes. I don't really do the line up any more, just five reds with black, that's where the actions at lol.
                          Last edited by itsnoteasy; 3 September 2013, 02:24 PM.

Comment

I did try the tighter red line up in the last 15 minutes or so of this session, so not really much time. I'll try both that and maybe the 'star' or 'cross' formation next visit.

I think breaks mostly break down after poor positional play - maybe landing too close to the cushion etc.

Comment

Could be shot routine then, I was told to know the power ,and where I hit the cue ball, and to visualise the shot, (as well as the aiming etc). Before I get down on the shot, having this clear in your mind leaves you only to concentrate on hitting the bob, it's not easy but it's well worth getting this drummed in.(says me who's still trying to do it).

Comment

Working...
                              X