Playing without fear ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing without fear ...

you've learned the stance, the grip, the bridge, the line of aim etc so you're not a bad cueist - I'm not saying great but not bad ...

but then comes the "fear" shot ... either in a match or for a high break in friendly play or even solo practice or simply because it's a difficult shot but you think you should get it ...

that fear can completely ruin you're normally smooth cueing action ... it can cause you to forget your pre-shot routine, it can cause you to grip too hard, it can cause your head to move, it can cause you to hit the white too hard or too soft ...

any advice? replies from coaches, good players and less good players are all welcome

I'm a very attacking player. Always have been and always will be. I "try" to forget the negatives and just focus on the positive outcomes of any particular shot. Of course, they don't always come off but when a tough shot does I feel there is no better feeling. If I miss. Ah well, there is always next time!!!! I will of course always judge a shot on its potential benefits but going in without fear is half the battle I think! I've ALWAYS been of the belief that our glorious game is maybe 80/90% ability and the rest is about what goes on in the mind!!!! A few Guinness and rum'n'coke always helps get rid of the fear factor!!!! In a nutshell....go for it without fear or regret!!
    You may defeat me but I will fight you to the very end!!!!

Comment

No idea! With me after 25 years of playing it gets worse, when you think with experience it wouldn't affect you so much.

Probably got something to do with being mentally beaten up over the years - bad run, missed easy pots for game, games won on a fluke etc, that stick with you and make it worse.

When you are younger that stuff hasn't happened much so you play without fear and pre match nerves actually help you. Now before a match I'm practically shi*ing myself! It takes half a frame to calm down and get into it.

Comment

Originally Posted by guernseygooner View Post
        No idea! With me after 25 years of playing it gets worse, when you think with experience it wouldn't affect you so much.

Probably got something to do with being mentally beaten up over the years - bad run, missed easy pots for game, games won on a fluke etc, that stick with you and make it worse.

When you are younger that stuff hasn't happened much so you play without fear and pre match nerves actually help you. Now before a match I'm practically shi*ing myself! It takes half a frame to calm down and get into it.
        I've gone the opposite way as I've got older!!! I no longer worry about my game. TBH I'm just glad I'm still playing good snooker. I'm waiting for the time when I go into a rapid decline but for now, I'm just loving the game....win or lose!
        You may defeat me but I will fight you to the very end!!!!

Comment

Hi,

My advice here would just be to always trust my technique.

If I know I've got a tough shot, to either continue a break, or maybe win a match, I always prepare while I'm standing up. I'll say to myself "right, get down, couple of feathers like normal, nice controlled backswing and push through like it means nothing". I'd rather miss knowing that I trusted my technique than miss because I just bottled it.

Never ever get down and rush a shot because you want it over because it's important.

Stand looking at the shot, pick one, get down, trust your technique, and more often than not you'll get it. After all, what's the worst than can happen? You miss right!?
          WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
          Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
          --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

It happens to everyone, even the pros, but with them its mostly pressure of the match and not the shot itself whereas with us its the pressure of a difficult shot.

The only way to go about it is that whenever faced with such a shot never hurry take your time prepare your mind and be CONFIDENT before going down and tell yourself you WILL pot it and then with such determination go down... you might miss it again and again but this DETERMINED CONfiDENT approach should never be changed to the point where you actually take it. Do it like this and you will start taking it easily and quickly.

Also whenever you miss a shot in a match that gives you the creeps before playing .. practice it in solo 10 time or even more until you get the confidence and then the chances of missing are decreased.

However, determined confident positive mental approach is what seems to be lacking here...

Remember before going down be confident that you will pot it even if you wont otherwise no use playing that shot go for a safety.
            "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

Keep to the same rhythm - focus on the shot -get down and pot it.

Don't over think it!!!!! If you do get back up - tell yourself you have done this before and re - focus on your pre shot routine if you have a solid technique it will click again and pull you though.

If not and you miss take a positive from the game, you have something new to work on in practice no big deal - everyone misses and you can prepare better next time the situation arises.

Remember - Don't prepare - prepare to fail. Your confidence comes within - if you have practised and still lost don't beat yourself up it will come but also if you have practised then at the back of your mind you can tell yourself that you have given yourself the best chance of succeeding and you can do no more than that.

As for the fear - this only comes on more when it means something so just try enjoying it and don't let it mean anything - I agree with an earlier poster fred who said he had mellowed with experience and learning to laugh off a bad miss or a bad game quickly even in what some might deem an important match is key to improving actually so find a way to think if you win you win if you loose so what - your going to win more and loose more - no big deal. Not like you are going to war or starting a new job or something - its just a simple game of potting balls at the end of the day.

- just remembered some people have little habits or tricks that help them with certain things here is mine - I always try to focus on keeping still, staying down and striking through the game ball positively in particular -if the shot allows, as there is nothing worse than rolling it or cueing across it with the yips. Three reasons for this are - it does not roll off - it does not look that bad if you miss and it often goes safe if you do bobble it. Also for me rather strangely I often feel somehow the sound of a ball hitting the leather back of the pocket with a THWAAAAK! seems to improve my confidence so during a break I strike through the ball to deliberately try to make that sound on certain shots.
              Last edited by Byrom; 6 September 2013, 08:00 AM.

Comment

I feel the same way. If you know your cueing straight, timing the ball nice, on-balance and over the shot, there are no obstacles, no fear, you just know that, your opponent will need to play well to stand any chance.
                Its a great feeling and the more you practice the more you feel like that

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                Hi,

My advice here would just be to always trust my technique.

Comment

Its only a theory but I think in some cases Fear is related to Vanity (eg you dont want to look a fool in front of your opponent and people watching ) think about it ! you have a easy shot on the black and that little thought goes through your mind "I will look a right prat if I miss this one" Ok if you are playing for a big cash prize at pro level things are a bit different, but at club level you have nothing to lose only your kudos and looking rubbish,Tut ! Tut Tut ! sounds and " How did he miss that" comments from spectators can get under your skin even as friendly banter, how many times have you seen someone when they are assured of winning the frame and the pressure is off pot the remaining balls like a Ronnie, My advice is get in the mind set of "Why should anyone bother to watch me" I am just a small fish, isolate yourself from whats going on around you and play for yourself, without the right mindset your are playing Two people your opponent and YOURSELF !

Comment

It's funny how a positive can strike fear into you, a shot for a high break , should be a great positive thing. This shot for the win, another positive thing(better than your opponent being at the table and having the shot) someone on here has the signature , don't let the fear of winning ruin your game, or something like that, and it's true, we doubt ourselves too much and I totally agree with the lads who posted, trust your technique, it's what all the practice is for.
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

thanks everyone for your suggestions, you've all made good points ...

I really only play pub league 8ball pool at the moment ... earlier this season I was P27 W24 L3 but I'm on a bit of a downhill spiral at the moment - I'm not totally sure but I'd guess P38 W29 L9 including currently 5 lost frames in a row ... I did fluff one easyish finish (which I'm still sore about) but the other four I played fine, I'm not really sure why I've lost so many in a row ...

and later tonight (Monday) we're in the semi-final of the Knockout Cup against the league leaders ... I don't think we stand a chance but we somehow managed to win the Cup last season and we don't want to give it back lol, it's big and nice and shiny ...

I think I'm going to try to think "killer instinct" either in safety, single ball potting or hitting finishes ... I enjoy playing this team, they are all very good players which tends to raise my game - my record is pretty good (about 50/50), but I think it will need to be 100/0 tonight if we are to stand a chance ...

Comment

Working...
                      X