Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The feeling of defeating yourself....... ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The feeling of defeating yourself....... ???

Bit of a question and guidance required if anything.........

My technique and potting and come along way, but I am finding I am still losing games!!! I've finding I'm giving myself chances and then messing up, or playing safe and people are potting the long pot, or I am finding the white is going in. It is not just happening 1 frame, I played a total of 20 frames this week, and in 12 of them I was leading my time we got to the last few reds and I am still managing to lose. What also hurts is the amount of times I am potting a good long ball, getting into the flow, and once I get towards the 5/6 ball break mark I then do something really silly........... and that is the only way I can describe these errors, it is as if I am fighting a side of me that is making me do silly things?

Is there any way to cut of these silly mistakes?? I know most people will say slow down and think about the shot, especially playing safety to an area rather than just to baulk etc, but I find the more I try thinking about what I should be doing, the worse I play!!! Is it a case of working on concentration or is there something else to it??

The only way I can describe it as I said, is like an internal struggle, there is the good side of me constantly fighting to stop the silly side of my game come out, and thus after 2 frames I am mentally tired, but what is worse, is that people are not beating me, I am beating myself!!!

Concentration through relaxation Belloz.

Fear is the mind killer.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
      Concentration through relaxation Belloz.

Fear is the mind killer.
      I think that is a lot of the problem, either fear of missing or embarrassing myself!!! And thus I still miss because I can't convince myself I will pot the ball !! But if I try to play quicker so I don't have enough time to think about missing, I then get sloppy with my technique - it is as if I have to play slow to get my technique correct, but slow does not work for my mind as I start to over think !!

Comment

see I don't even think its bad pre shot routine - it is a fear of missing and embarrassing myself, thus I get anxious - and we all know bein anxious makes u tense etc which is not good!!! I was wondering if anyone has tried any thinking techniques on the shot to distract the mind from the fear of missing ?

Comment

Originally Posted by Belloz22 View Post
          see I don't even think its bad pre shot routine - it is a fear of missing and embarrassing myself, thus I get anxious - and we all know bein anxious makes u tense etc which is not good!!! I was wondering if anyone has tried any thinking techniques on the shot to distract the mind from the fear of missing ?
          Oh and - if my mind wanders or I hear other people chatting or feel nervous I have a habit of thinking of my favourite a tune to myself while I play.

Comment

fork out some money and hire a coach instead of asking people on an internet forum for free advice

Comment

Originally Posted by arbitrage View Post
              fork out some money and hire a coach instead of asking people on an internet forum for free advice
              Now that is not very nice is it

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                Now that is not very nice is it
                it is practical advice. if you could resolve the technical issues in your game by asking people over an internet forum, then there would be no need for coaches would there? p.s. particularly if he is asking people like you

Comment

it is practical advice. if you could resolve the technical issues in your game by asking people over an internet forum, then there would be no need for coaches would there? p.s. particularly if he is asking people like you
                  People like me?

Come on let it out if it makes you feel better.

Comment

something brewing

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                    People like me?

Come on let it out if it makes you feel better.

Comment

Try and get some serious match practice against a good and serious player .

Comment

if it is any help, between us we have the ultimate game, i lose because i am too confident and don't treat opponents with any respect and when i miss people with no previous talent suddenly can clear the table!
                        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                          if it is any help, between us we have the ultimate game, i lose because i am too confident and don't treat opponents with any respect and when i miss people with no previous talent suddenly can clear the table!
                          That is my M.O. - I often play like an absolute donkey but I'm a dab hand at clearing up with 4-6 reds left.

Comment

duplicate post
                            Last edited by Belloz22; 11 November 2013, 03:09 PM. Reason: duplicate post

Comment

Well your a barrel of laughs pal...... its a forum, no different to asking friends for advice. Plus psychological issues don't get fixed because your technique is perfect!!! But thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X