Screw back exercise to improve accuracy & speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screw back exercise to improve accuracy & speed

Here is an exercise I use to sharpen my screw back game.

This is not an easy exercise & will test anyone.

You need 11 balls (10 reds & a colour) + cue ball (CB)

Directions:
    a) place a red ball 10cm from the middle of a corner pocket, a red ball is always placed back in the same spot
    b) place the coloured ball, which I will call the target ball (TB), 50 cm from the same pocket parallel to the black spot
    c) place the CB parallel to the TB on either the right or left hand side
    d) to score you must pot the red ball & screw back to cannon into the TB
    e) if you cannon into the TB leave it where it stops as this is where you place the CB for the next shot
    f) if you miss the cannon then place the CB in the same starting position as the previous shot

Points to note:

* it is pretty hard to get 10 cannons in a row
    * you have to make very soft cannons on the TB
    * moving the TB very close to a rail will end your run
    * you really have to concentrate on the strength & point of contact, both CB & target ball
    * the further you hit the TB from the red ball the harder your next shot will be

I found this exercise very good in honing your touch & feel which will improve your positional play with screw back shots.

Let us know how you go & what part of the exercise troubled you most.

Originally Posted by Blackcatano View Post
    Here is an exercise I use to sharpen my screw back game.

This is not an easy exercise & will test anyone.

You need 11 balls (10 reds & a colour) + cue ball (CB)

Directions:
    a) place a red ball 10cm from the middle of a corner pocket, a red ball is always placed back in the same spot
    b) place the coloured ball, which I will call the target ball (TB), 50 cm from the same pocket parallel to the black spot
    c) place the CB parallel to the TB on either the right or left hand side
    d) to score you must pot the red ball & screw back to cannon into the TB
    e) if you cannon into the TB leave it where it stops as this is where you place the CB for the next shot
    f) if you miss the cannon then place the CB in the same starting position as the previous shot

Points to note:

* it is pretty hard to get 10 cannons in a row
    * you have to make very soft cannons on the TB
    * moving the TB very close to a rail will end your run
    * you really have to concentrate on the strength & point of contact, both CB & target ball
    * the further you hit the TB from the red ball the harder your next shot will be

I found this exercise very good in honing your touch & feel which will improve your positional play with screw back shots.

Let us know how you go & what part of the exercise troubled you most.
    Sounds good, I do a similar routine but around the black spot, how many consecutive blacks and cannons.
    Makes break building so much easier

Comment

im not sure i get this, is this what you mean

srew.jpg

Comment

In your diagram place the CB close to the TB (blue) on the left hand side.
        The CB has to be next to the TB, either left or right hand side, for the start of every shot.

Place the TB 50cm away from the same pocket to start, on an angle facing the opposite middle pocket.
        Ignore "parallel to the black spot" instruction.

Comment

Working...
        X