Nic Barrow's latest gadget.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
    les if your middle pockets are anything to go by, there's nothing wrong with the size..
    its all a bit inpatient and impulsive with you fella
    Got to agree with that, it's the first thing I thought of, they look similar to our club pockets.
    Les going too far the other way can be as bad, it will fool you into thinking you are playing well, but if you are potting in the middle of the pocket and getting that nice clean sound the size won't matter that much, I think too big could make you lazy.
    One thing I have been meaning to ask is how does your son play on the table, is he getting colours with reds or knocking in the odd four or five ball break?
    Last edited by itsnoteasy; 28 December 2013, 12:53 PM.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

les if your middle pockets are anything to go by, there's nothing wrong with the size..
      its all a bit inpatient and impulsive with you fella
      You can call it what you want but trying to run balls on a table with 3-1/4" corner pockets is not the way to learn the game. All it does is frustrate you. Now my corners and side pockets are a 1/16" larger then my copy of Terry's IBSF Templates. Maybe this will put it into perspective if you are a golfer just starting out are you going to go to St, Andrews and play and you are told you can only play from the Championship Tees. You would probably give the game up if you had to play from those tee blocks if that's all you where allowed to play from. On my table you put so much concentration into potting a ball you do not even think about position.
      " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
      " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
      http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
        Got to agree with that, it's the first thing I thought of, they look similar to our club pockets.
        Les going too far the other way can be as bad, it will fool you into thinking you are playing well, but if you are potting in the middle of the pocket and getting that nice clean sound the size won't matter that much, I think too big could make you lazy.
        One thing I have been meaning to ask is how does your son play on the table, is he getting colours with reds or knocking in the odd four or five ball break?
        No he might make the odd 3 ball break but not that often. His high break would probably be mid 20's. I spot both of my son's 25 which keeps me going to beat either one of them. My younger son is 21 and has a 4-1/2 x 9 pool table at home and is really starting to understand the game. Going to a good player. Terry played three games at my place after a coaching session and his high break was 18. I have been up to his place where I have seen him run 60's and 70's. I really believe its all about confidence and my pockets would totally ruin anyones confidence in a few games. It is still very tight compared to most tables but at least now it is fair.

Comment

Didn't you already have your table opened up once Les?
          WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
          Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
          --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
            Didn't you already have your table opened up once Les?
            They tried to do it when they put new Northern Rubbers on. But when they where all finished they could not move the steel blocks enough because then the middle irons would not fit so I was stuck with very small pockets. They where suppose to come back in January to fix them but I could not wait any longer....LOL Thats the impatient part of me. As for the side pockets now they are exactly 3-3/8" i was just down practicing for an hour potting one ball to make position for another ball and I already feel more confident. Nic and myself have been emailing back and fourth over the holidays and he suggested even opening up the sides. This game is all about confidence if you believe you can pot it you will but if you get down over a shot and think this is not going in then what position will you have if it does. Thats me 7 reds in a game with the odd colour. Going up to visit Terry on Monday for a few games and try Nic's new teaching gadget.

Comment

Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
              No he might make the odd 3 ball break but not that often. His high break would probably be mid 20's. I spot both of my son's 25 which keeps me going to beat either one of them. My younger son is 21 and has a 4-1/2 x 9 pool table at home and is really starting to understand the game. Going to a good player. Terry played three games at my place after a coaching session and his high break was 18. I have been up to his place where I have seen him run 60's and 70's. I really believe its all about confidence and my pockets would totally ruin anyones confidence in a few games. It is still very tight compared to most tables but at least now it is fair.
              Fair enough, I could only go by what I could see,and the middle. Bag looked ok, what you have done doesn't sound excessive anyway, so good luck at Terry's and let us know what you think of the cueing gadget, I think it will really help you.
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

open the pockets by all means, but im concerned really about your overall approach.. i have never setup a practice routine checking if im cueing straight, and set it up so that im cueing over the middle pocket, on the blue yes and follow the white in! but on the pink?! and your even moving the white with your cue while your down. i see why terry gives it you in the neck.
                you said you were a self taught golf pro, im really intrigued. can you stick up a few of your best moments on the green les?

Comment

open the pockets by all means, but im concerned really about your overall approach.. i have never setup a practice routine checking if im cueing straight, and set it up so that im cueing over the middle pocket, on the blue yes and follow the white in! but on the pink?! and your even moving the white with your cue while your down. i see why terry gives it you in the neck.
                  you said you were a self taught golf pro, im really intrigued. can you stick up a few of your best moments on the green les?
                  I will look and see if I have any photos. There were no cell phones back then so photos where not a big item. If I can locate some you will wonder how I was ever able to play. I am right handed and with my right arm having limited movement my right shoulder is all hunched over and look way out of balance but like I said I self taught myself, any pro my parents took me to said he will never be any good with an arm like that. I look the same on the pool table but I will master this game like I did golf.

Comment

les, you could start another thread with pictures and video footage of your golf career and you just might find what your looking for, by looking back.. maybe the way into kick starting your snooker venture is to go over your golf and how you really turned pro.

I will look and see if I have any photos. There were no cell phones back then so photos where not a big item. If I can locate some you will wonder how I was ever able to play. I am right handed and with my right arm having limited movement my right shoulder is all hunched over and look way out of balance but like I said I self taught myself, any pro my parents took me to said he will never be any good with an arm like that. I look the same on the pool table but I will master this game like I did golf.

Comment

les, you could start another thread with pictures and video footage of your golf career and you just might find what your looking for, by looking back.. maybe the way into kick starting your snooker venture is to go over your golf and how you really turned pro.
                      Well that is a good theory and I know the answer as Terry has told me time n time again. There is no silver bullet to the answer other than lots of practice. I started golf when I was 11 and by the time I was 13 I had a job at the course cleaning members clubs and at 15 I was working in the pro shop. Now the secret was I would play 18 holes every day at least then go to work and then by 6:00 at night things where pretty slow so I would spend my time with other juniors having chipping and putting contests. Mean while you did not even realize you where actually honing your short game and by the time I turned 16 I had a fantastic short game to go with the rest of my game. Now at 50 I am trying to make it happen over night...LOL I did realize something tonight and that is playing matches against myself as Terry told me to do seems to put me in the position as I am with matches. Played two games against my son tonight and beat him easily both games and then I continued to practice my match game against myself. It is amazing after 4 games against myself how you get in a goove and start to see the table much better. Looking forward to going to Terry's on Monday to check out Nic's training aid.

Comment

How old are you, Les ( sorry for being intrusive )..

I am 48 and been playing properly for 21 months, did have a 3 month break though. Trust me you will improve but the simple secret is PRACTICE , lots of it and you say that yourself..Can't see looking back on your start off point in golf would be any use because you was a young lad then..
                        JP Majestic
                        3/4
                        57"
                        17oz
                        9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post

I am 48 and been playing properly for 21 months, did have a 3 month break though. Trust me you will improve but the simple secret is PRACTICE , lots of it and you say that yourself..Can't see looking back on your start off point in golf would be any use because you was a young lad then..
                          Hi Throtts I just turned 50 Dec 17th. Started playing seriously Sept 2012 I built a new home and put an old 4-1/1 x 9 pool table in then 2 months later I sold it and put in an old Brunswick 5 x 10 Snookee Table about 2 months ago I sold it and put in an old Burroughs n Watts 6 x12. I have coaching with Terry Davidson and one session with Cliff Thorburn and then for Christmas my family gave me a four hour session with Cliff at my house. Going to see Terry tomorrow. I am determined to learn this game.

Comment

that's a lot of chopping and changing of tables in such a short time period, must of been a real head scrambler. but i don't get it, why did you not stick with the pool table if that was your first desire? or did you master pool already?

Hi Throtts I just turned 50 Dec 17th. Started playing seriously Sept 2012 I built a new home and put an old 4-1/1 x 9 pool table in then 2 months later I sold it and put in an old Brunswick 5 x 10 Snookee Table about 2 months ago I sold it and put in an old Burroughs n Watts 6 x12. I have coaching with Terry Davidson and one session with Cliff Thorburn and then for Christmas my family gave me a four hour session with Cliff at my house. Going to see Terry tomorrow. I am determined to learn this game.

Comment

that's a lot of chopping and changing of tables in such a short time period, must of been a real head scrambler. but i don't get it, why did you not stick with the pool table if that was your first desire? or did you master pool already?
                              You might want to say it was a project. 1906 Brunswick Pool Table which I paid $250.00 for completely refinished it and then played on it for 3 months then sold it for $2,100 because I really prefer Snooker. The next table was a real gem. 1898 Brunswick Snooker Table in like new condition which I paid $2,000 for. But then when Terry talked me into playing in some of the Provincial Qualifiers then I started looking for a 6 x 12 the real thing... I sold that table for $10,000 and bought my present table for $2,300 my wife told me when my Burroughs n Watts table came in thats it no more tables....LOL But she told me that when the 1898 table came in too.

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post

What is your high break? Mine is 43 which I ran months ago and have not even come close since. I cannot wait to get up and see Terry tomorrow morning. Between his video devices and Nic's new gadget I really hope he can find what is going on besides lack of confidence lack of patience lack of talent and frustration that set in long ago. I probably played 30 games over Christmas with a high break of 18 and winning only 5 games. What frustrates me is the fact these guys never play. Tried the line up tonight and out of 25 attempts my best was 15. Thats why I hate the line up.....LOL I could of made my pockets twice as wide and I would still have the fear of missing every shot. Slight cut on pink and does not even touch the jaws there has to be something wrong. I will let everyone know the out come tomorrow night on Nic's gadget.

Comment

Working...
                                X