No consistency in my play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would also recommend that you change from an 8mm ferrule to something around 9.5mm.
    For many years I only had one cue which mostly I played UK pool which had a 8.2mm ferrule. When I got a snooker cue with a 9.5mm ferrule my snooker game improved greatly.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
      I would also recommend that you change from an 8mm ferrule to something around 9.5mm.
      For many years I only had one cue which mostly I played UK pool which had a 8.2mm ferrule. When I got a snooker cue with a 9.5mm ferrule my snooker game improved greatly.
      Hi DeanH

I had a great master cue tip size 9.3mm to 9.5mm at start i played ok with it suppose feel of new cue but then game went rubbish couldnt pot 3 ball in a row i felt tip was 2 big. I went back 2 old cue i had 8mm an my game came back gettin 30s an 40s. But now my game totally gone totally. I want to get my game to be more consistent but dont know how 2 do it. So im wondering is it my tip of confidence thats lettin me down or both.

Comment

what I should have also said was as soon as I started to play with the 9.5mm cue it felt great to me. As you may have read elsewhere on TSF sometimes a cue just doesn't feel right even after weeks of trying, maybe that happened to you ?
        Not surprised that you played well with your old cue when you went back to it, happens often.

Comment

also I went from an old 2pc to a 1pc and the feel was very different but after a week or so it became since comfortable

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            also I went from an old 2pc to a 1pc and the feel was very different but after a week or so it became since comfortable
            Before i ordered a proper cue i used to play with a 1pc house cue 10mm tip an i never really liked the feel of it. Iv always been more confortable with smaller tips as i seem to get more reaction out of them. 10mm tips i cant get any screw back side or any sort of reaction.

Comment

Definitely increase tip size I played with my old pool cue a tony wilshaw cue with 8mm tip, since Then I got a new cue a 3* woods with a 9.6mm tip and i find it a lot easier and cue through the ball much better and confidently
              Hope it helps, good luck in future

Comment

If you change equipment, your consistency may go down further. There's no guarantee that you'll play better with a 9.5mm tip. If you are used to a smaller tip, keep using it. Part of the tip that will actually contact the cueball is very small, 1mm to 2mm at most. Depends on curvature too, yes...but this contact point is really small. Even if you used a massive tip like 13mm, your contact point would not increase much, if at all.

The reason why most players prefer certain size like 9.5mm is purely psychological. It just "feels"right, and yes, lots of players are using it...some big names too. Make no mistake, most of us came to this 9.5mm size because we read and heard a lot about how pro players generally use 9.3mm to 9.7mm. I did not spend 2 years playing with 8.5mm, nor did I spend 2 additional years trying a 10.5mm tip. So I cannot make fair comparison between sizes.
                Never ever underestimate psychological effect. If you prefer certain tip size, stick with it.

For inconsistency I always blame cue action, lack of dedicated practise, lack of tough match play...etc. Never the equipment.

Comment

Working...
                X