Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good practise routines to take positional play to next level?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good practise routines to take positional play to next level?

I was wondering what good practise routines people know that really work on tightning up your positional play? I make regular big breaks and only practise routine i sometimes do is bog standard line up which i clear on average 1 in 3 attempts, but i know my positional play is weakest part of my game. Any tips would be good.

Thanks

Standard line up it appears is too easy for you. You need to give yourself a challenge to think about positional play.

I find trying to do the line up without using a cushion is a good one. Trying to get a max or setting up a cross of reds and only using the pink.

Also, playing frames against yourself is beneficial.

Comment

Black from every red could be a real challenge.

Or maybe try this one:

Last edited by mythman69; 27 January 2014, 02:27 PM.
      My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
      I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by mr_rules View Post
        I was wondering what good practise routines people know that really work on tightning up your positional play? I make regular big breaks and only practise routine i sometimes do is bog standard line up which i clear on average 1 in 3 attempts, but i know my positional play is weakest part of my game. Any tips would be good.

Thanks
        When you say you can clear the line up 1 in every 3 attempts , is this with colour or without?

If u can clear up with colours this makes u a very good player, and your break building should be of very decent standard.
        I think some have given u some good suggestions. What I would add is either do the line up but instead of just playing an area play for a particular red after the colour, another one could be the staggered line up where the red will only pot in one pocket, so u have to pot one red to release another.

Other than that just play frames and specify where u want the white to end up, if you didn't achieve it reset the shot and try again, through repetitive play you should start to get a feel for the length you need for certain shots.

Alabbadi
        Last edited by alabadi; 27 January 2014, 02:37 PM.

Comment

wow size of the kick on the first red

Comment

Yeah with colours, i think 6 140+ clearances on the bounce is my best. I think my main problem is poor touch. i seem to be able to pot my way out of trouble a fair bit however i struggle against the pro's and top boys a bit, for instance if i fall out of position once or twice and cant pot my way out of trouble they obviously punish me so i really need to tighten up the poor touch in the balls at times.

Thanks for the advise guys.

Comment

Yeah with colours, i think 6 140+ clearances on the bounce is my best. I think my main problem is poor touch. i seem to be able to pot my way out of trouble a fair bit however i struggle against the pro's and top boys a bit, for instance if i fall out of position once or twice and cant pot my way out of trouble they obviously punish me so i really need to tighten up the poor touch in the balls at times.

That's impressive m8, your obviously accomplished, more than I am at the minute so might be strange that I should give you advice. All I can say from experience and that is if you fall out of position in a game you have to way up your options, is it worth going for a difficult pot knowing the guy your playing if you miss will punish you.

It's not all about getting high breaks, even pros can't get a ton every break. We all like to make high breaks but sometimes the win is more important.

The rest is just try and tighten up during solo practice.

Comment

At your standard you will know all the routines will you not ?
                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

I was wondering what good practise routines people know that really work on tightning up your positional play?...
                  Have a look at this http://fergalobrien.ie/practice.html

Comment

sequential red lineups. start with one red near the cush behind the black, clear and come back down and so on. so you'll end up doing 15 lineups starting with one then 2,3 ect reds.

Comment

Better concentration on the simple stuff - keep to a constant rhythm of play around the table in practice and in a match - Try taking a break on the easy shots - get up have a walk and a look and a little relax as you consider options - giving more attention to more forward mapping of the table and give these easy shots more consideration in terms of position.

Comment

I have been working on the T routine. 2 reds to both sides of the pink and 4 between the black and pink. I think if I can keep this up my positional play should really improve. I was down to Toronto for some practice and coaching with Cliff on Friday. He is really pleased with my progress but I still need major work on positional play. The T seems like a great routine for me which includes a lot of different shots. My high break in a match is 43. Just started the T routine today and my high so far is 31.
                        " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
                        " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
                        http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

I seen this routine on twitter looks a decent practice routine although a bit difficult for me now

image.jpg

Comment

Originally Posted by dave121260 View Post
                            I seen this routine on twitter looks a decent practice routine although a bit difficult for me now

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15648[/ATTACH]
                            I agree that one looks very tough. I will stick to my T until I run my T including colours. With all blacks that would be 75 so if I take the first 4 reds with pinks I will be 71. I would take that.
                            " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
                            " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
                            http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
                              Black from every red could be a real challenge.

Or maybe try this one:

Tried the bottom one today, the pink cross one , harder than it looks, I thought I would do it within a couple of goes, I blame my new tip lol.
                              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Working...
                              X