Holding the cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holding the cue

I was playing (well, picking balls out of the pocket) with an ex-pro today and he told me that I'm holding my cue too far back so I'm not getting the required piston movement and therefore my timing is off. This was new to me as I've never see a video of myself playing (apart from when I won the world championship but that was years ago and I don't like to talk about it). He suggested shortening my grip on the cue. It feels a bit stubby at the moment doing that, but do you reckon I should persevere? I'm a little bloke - don't know if that makes a difference.

Well, he's seen you in the flesh and these guys tend to know their stuff so I'd take the advice.

Comment

Originally Posted by jb134 View Post
      Well, he's seen you in the flesh and these guys tend to know their stuff so I'd take the advice.
      What he just said.

Can you post a vid of you cueing so we can take a look.

Comment

sounds to me that your arm is not hanging in the vertical position at address...at a 4 oclock position rather than 6 oclock...if that makes sense.
        Last edited by lennon11; 30 January 2014, 05:56 AM.
        H.b.142

Comment

stick a vid up to show us where your at champ

Comment

Originally Posted by lennon11 View Post
            sounds to me that your arm is not hanging in the vertical position at address...at a 4 oclock position rather than 6 oclock...if that makes sense.
            Is that four o'clock with the cut tip at 9 o'clock or four o'clock with the cue tip at 3 o'clock, which would be 8 oclock?

Comment

Originally Posted by jb134 View Post
              Is that four o'clock with the cut tip at 9 o'clock or four o'clock with the cue tip at 3 o'clock, which would be 8 oclock?
              haha ....yeah all that too....dont forget the time diff in scotland too.
              H.b.142

Comment

Yes mate its 1983 up here. Just waiting on Jimmy winning the Worlds.....

Comment

Well the pro would have noticed that your cueing arm is not in vertical position or say said above at 6 o'clock when in the address position and so he suggested you to shorten the hold position on the butt in order to bring it to vertical position at address. I think you must consider two things:

1. You mentioned that you are of a short height (little bloke) and if you play with a normal length cue then there is always a chance that you might have been behind vertical at address and therefore shortening the hold would put you on vertical... this ensures proper follow through after completion of the shot with the grip hitting the chest.

2. Ask someone to notice your cueing arm in address and then adjust until it is in vertical position. You will notice that you will have to shorten your hold to get vertical.

I am rather tall and I was having a hold where I was short of vertical and then Vmaxforsteve corrected that by asking me to hold from nearly the end of the butt. Now I hold my cue from the butt with just an inch behind it.

hope this helps.
                  "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

Good advice

Originally Posted by Sidd View Post
                    Well the pro would have noticed that your cueing arm is not in vertical position or say said above at 6 o'clock when in the address position and so he suggested you to shorten the hold position on the butt in order to bring it to vertical position at address. I think you must consider two things:

1. You mentioned that you are of a short height (little bloke) and if you play with a normal length cue then there is always a chance that you might have been behind vertical at address and therefore shortening the hold would put you on vertical... this ensures proper follow through after completion of the shot with the grip hitting the chest.

2. Ask someone to notice your cueing arm in address and then adjust until it is in vertical position. You will notice that you will have to shorten your hold to get vertical.

I am rather tall and I was having a hold where I was short of vertical and then Vmaxforsteve corrected that by asking me to hold from nearly the end of the butt. Now I hold my cue from the butt with just an inch behind it.

hope this helps.
                    That all makes sense, Sidd. Thanks. I'm already beginning to get used to the shorter grip. Won 6 out of 7 frames yesterday so something must be right at least for the moment.
                    Last edited by misspentoldage; 1 February 2014, 09:55 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally Posted by misspentoldage View Post
                      That all makes sense, Sidd. Thanks. I'm already beginning to get used to the shorter grip. Won 6 out of 7 frames yesterday so something must be right at least for the moment.
                      There you go Champ...

Observe the hold of John Higgins as an example; he holds it at least 4 inches above the butt end.
                      "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

Originally Posted by misspentoldage View Post
                        How well I know that feeling " at least for the moment".
                        " Cues are like girlfriends,once they become an EX I don't want them hanging around ".

Comment

Does clenching your hand as u strike cue ball generate more power

Comment

Less power Brian, and could pull the tip offline, nice and relaxed all the way through. Less power, better timing, more reaction, easier said than done, I have read quotes that say you should hold the cue as if you were holding a little bird in your hand ,just enough to stop it flying away, I like that as an explanation.
                            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

kind of. i wouldn't call it a clench. for me its closing the back of the hand, and that with a flick of the wrist you can generate lots of movement of the white.
                              Originally Posted by Brianwalter View Post
                              Does clenching your hand as u strike cue ball generate more power

Comment

Working...
                              X