A revelation. Chin off cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A revelation. Chin off cue?

In my continued quest to try out different things on the snooker table whilst having a practise session. I tried just lifting my chin off the cue and allowing my chest to guide the cue straight and sort of treat the cue as a gun and sight down it. Actually that last bit is a bit wrong. It's more that I'm looking at the object ball contact point knowing that my chin is centrally above my cue and that I'm going to cue straight to the object ball.

Wow. I've never potted so many balls. For the first time. I had total confidence that I would bring the cue in straight. The only thing I then had to worry about was ensure I was on the line of aim and how hard I should hit the cue ball.

I know Terry Griffiths used to cue this way. Does any other professional do it.

The late John Spencer was the same. The only reason for having the chin on the cue IMO is so that it's noticeable if you move your head on the shot as you can feel your chin come off the cue. It's not essential for sighting, so as long as you can keep your head still there is no reason not to carry on cueing this way.
    Just be certain that it was this that gave you your improvement, it could have been some other basic that you were subconsciously adhering to.

I myself play with my chin about four inches off the cue as I used to play pool in ordinary spectacles and couldn't see the object ball if I got down any lower. This style stuck with me even when I switched to contact lenses and now proper snooker glasses. It's just the way I play.

Comment

Working...
    X