An Afternoon with Cliff Thorburn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Afternoon with Cliff Thorburn

I received a call from Cliff earlier this week inviting me to Toronto to practice with him. He has a tournament coming up in a couple weeks and he figured he could get some practice in and he could see how I am making out in a game situation. I had explained to him in the past that I can pot balls practicing but everything disappears when it comes to matches so I spent about 5 hours this afternoon with him. Cliff was potting everything he attempted which I also found very educational just watching him move the cue ball around the table as he calls it just connecting the dots. Sounds simple...LOL it turned out to be a very good coaching afternoon as he watched over my shot selection, positional play and safety play. He would correct me where I went wrong and show me the right shot and them make me shoot it again until I made it a few times then we would carry on. Just great afternoon with the "Grinder"
    " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
    " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
    http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Sounds like fun! Did he enlighten you on the source of your inconsistencies between practice and play? I wouldn't mind booking a session with him as I do encounter the same issue.

Comment

Hi Les, if you see Cliff again soon say Hi from Kevin for me and give him a reminder that he has not been on the forum since December 2011

Comment

Originally Posted by ferret View Post
        Hi Les, if you see Cliff again soon say Hi from Kevin for me and give him a reminder that he has not been on the forum since December 2011
        Hi Kevin I certainly will. 2011 that's a long time to not have nothing to say....I couldn't do it....LOL

Comment

Wow that's fantastic Les, you are so right about the education you get watching someone who can play(and you get to watch Big Cliff !!!) life can't get better than that.
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by Csmith View Post
            Sounds like fun! Did he enlighten you on the source of your inconsistencies between practice and play? I wouldn't mind booking a session with him as I do encounter the same issue.
            Yes it was a great learning experience. I really played quite well but of course I made a few shots that he corrected me on which he would make me shoot again also I have been having problems with my break off hitting between the second and third ball and going in off for the simple reason I was putting right hand side on the CB so I was aiming thick figuring it was going to curve mean while the CB squirts left at impact which was sending it into the middle of the pack. Now I am aiming to almost miss the last ball and putting bottom right instead of top right. For me I think a playing lesson works much better then just straight coaching.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
              Wow that's fantastic Les, you are so right about the education you get watching someone who can play(and you get to watch Big Cliff !!!) life can't get better than that.
              Yes it was a great day.

Comment

Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
                Yes it was a great learning experience. I really played quite well but of course I made a few shots that he corrected me on which he would make me shoot again also I have been having problems with my break off hitting between the second and third ball and going in off for the simple reason I was putting right hand side on the CB so I was aiming thick figuring it was going to curve mean while the CB squirts left at impact which was sending it into the middle of the pack. Now I am aiming to almost miss the last ball and putting bottom right instead of top right. For me I think a playing lesson works much better then just straight coaching.
                Sounds great I could use some of that coaching myself. I understand that Cliff does that whole sight right coaching thing, which I think I could benefit from as I don't think my alignment is always consistent.

I think you're right about playing lessons, especially as it applies to learning shot selection, and cliff's is some of the best. Tough match player. I thought my selection wasn't bad, but I've come to realize it needs a lot of work. Need to be more patient.

Comment

Originally Posted by Csmith View Post
                  Sounds great I could use some of that coaching myself. I understand that Cliff does that whole sight right coaching thing, which I think I could benefit from as I don't think my alignment is always consistent.

I think you're right about playing lessons, especially as it applies to learning shot selection, and cliff's is some of the best. Tough match player. I thought my selection wasn't bad, but I've come to realize it needs a lot of work. Need to be more patient.
                  Tell me about it. This whole game boiled down to shot selection and positional play. Oh and yes learn to sight properly.

Comment

Working...
                  X