Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I too tall for my cue? suggestions please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I too tall for my cue? suggestions please...

OK here it is then.

I have been practicing and playing for quite some time now. Excluding my break of the past 5-6 months I have started again off and on and will try to be on the table at least 2 days a week. I have noticed that I have lost my touch and hence am not playing well. I cannot pot 4 balls in a row now. I understand it would require some time to get back in action but then there are people around me who have had no coaching and they play 3-4 days a week and yet make 40-60 breaks on and off but well that is not the point here.

I was on another thread here and saw a clip by Neil Maxman uploaded by Steve (Vmax) which was about cue length against a player's height and that made me think in a new direction. I knew it before but never gave it any considerable thought. I went to the club and measured my cue against myself and it is much shorter than my shoulder height. It reaches up to my chest say nipple height. This got me thinking and here is what I think.

I am a tall person i.e. 6 feet 1 inch or maybe 2 I do not remember, well not that tall by your Western average but quite tall by Pakistani Pakistani average anyway since my cue finishes at my chest and not shoulder so I personally think and checked it yesterday as well that that is the reason I have been doing the following:

1. Bending the bridge arm to leave some cue after the bridge to the CB. I have changed my set up after uploading my video and seeking guidance and straightened it but I personally think that now I perhaps have hardly 7-8 inches of cue after the v of the bridge to the tip. In order to increase wood here I will have to again bend my bridge arm and that might lead me in to problems I have been having in the past.

2. Since the cue is small and I am rather tall, with my old set-up I was not bending enough on the table as highlighted by my older video and hence to bend more I had to move from straight to boxers as that also helped me straightening my bridge arm. But that is not really an issue I think.

3. Due to the small cue when I held it where I felt comfortable Vmax and Terry pointed out that my cueing arm was not vertical when at address position and then I observed that too so in order to get my cueing arm in vertical while at address I had to grip my cue from the edge of the butt and now I grip it from the butt where I have no butt behind my grip hand and my last finger is at the last edge of the butt. But well that is kind of ok.

4. Last but not the least, I believe the real problem might be here... with the current cue (smaller than shoulder height) I need to cue straight for snooker but this cue being smaller than required forces me to drop my elbow, a consideration that never came to my mind before, and hence I do not cue straight. You see when my grip hits the chest since the cue is smaller then that can only be achieved by dropping the elbow. That is probably the reason why I was not being able to control my elbow drop as it was only natural for it to drop with a smaller cue in hands.

Now then if this is correct, then I immediately need to change my cue. Please provide your suggestions and if I conclude that I need to change it then I will ask you to guide me as to which cue would be good. I cannot buy cues from here, there arent any good ones around, only Master Cue which is good enough but I can order to UK something of my choice... I will however order this time with proper specifications to suit me.

Cheers,
    Sidd.
    "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Just an idea Sidd . . . have you got a mini-butt that you could put on and see if the extra length helps? You might only need an inch or two or more? Or maybe your cue is the right length now.

Maybe just see how it goes and report.
    My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
    I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
      Just an idea Sidd . . . have you got a mini-butt that you could put on and see if the extra length helps? You might only need an inch or two or more? Or maybe your cue is the right length now.

Maybe just see how it goes and report.
      Yes but unfortunately my cue is Peradon Sandringham 3/4 but without a screw on the butt, its a pure two piece so I cant attach a mini butt. But perhaps I can get a longer cue in the club and try that out and see if that makes any difference? But I am pretty much sure I might have to get a longer cue for reasons above...

Comment

Am I too tall for my cue.- yes
        Suggestions- get a longer one.
        There that's that sorted lol.
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
          Am I too tall for my cue.- yes
          Suggestions- get a longer one.
          There that's that sorted lol.
          Bang! thanks!
          search for a new cue begins... that is it and final !!!

Comment

You should be looking for a 58" cue

Comment

I may have missed it there amongst your essay but how long is your current cue ??

Comment

Originally Posted by Sidd View Post
                Bang! thanks!
                search for a new cue begins... that is it and final !!!
                It worked for me but If you go down this route Sidd you will have no excuses left but your technique and your frame of mind.

pm sent

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                  It worked for me but If you go down this route Sidd you will have no excuses left but your technique and your frame of mind.

pm sent
                  PM replied to.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                    I may have missed it there amongst your essay but how long is your current cue ??
                    I do not know for sure. Will measure it tonight and post.

Comment

There is one shameful admission that I have to make. I have scored a break of 55 with my current cue. But I think its about consistency rather than once in a blue moon strike of fortune right ???

Comment

Sidd

second one from the left, maple shaft, ebony butt, 61 & 1/2 inches long, 10mm tip, 20 oz's.

Comment

Sidd

second one from the left, maple shaft, ebony butt, 61 & 1/2 inches long, 10mm tip, 20 oz's.
                          Thanks for sharing... This is great... By the way which one is the first one on the left... It looks so nice... just intrigued.

Comment

these are your cues vmax? any for sale? i like the look of the one second from the right

Sidd

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15653[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15654[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15655[/ATTACH]

Comment

This is mine Steve...
                              click to enlarge.

1370 (1).JPG

Comment

Working...
                              X