Rotating cue ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotating cue ?

Recently my potting has vastly improved and I'm very happy with progress I am making

I've read a lot of useful advice on this forum and it has been great for my game

One question I do have , is should I rotate the cue between shots so that I'm using a different part of the tip ? Right now I'm really not using and side on the cue ball and just using stun , screw , and top . I always hold my cue with the flat part of the butt and name badge facing the floor .

I'm guessing that for a comfort thing most players would hold the cue exactly the same every shot ?

I would suggest not - normally for consistency and sighting , players tend to grip the cue in the same place ie with my cues I always hold the cue with the flat of the butt pointing directly upwards. This allows me to feel comfortable and consistent in my grip - also when using an ash cue it means I am always sighting along the same grain pattern. Additionally the tip beds in and plays more consistently if the cue is used in this way.

Comment

I was told the flat is put on inline with the chevrons of the cue and that you should either hold the cue with the flat facing straight up or down.

This is because if the cue bends or warps slightly, it will usually bend within that grain, making it less noticeable and therefore having less of an effect on your game.

Many players don't though... It doesn't seem to do Judd Trump any harm coz he holds it on the side.

Comment

Yes , but he holds it the same way all the time ...which is what the original question was about.

Must admit I never thought about grain and structural integrity / resistance to warp...would only imagine warping being a factor if cue is not looked after ie left leaning at an angle or subjected to extremes of humidity / temperature. Can't imagine just striking snooker balls with a cue would cause warping.

Interesting point nontheless.
        Originally Posted by pottr View Post
        I was told the flat is put on inline with the chevrons of the cue and that you should either hold the cue with the flat facing straight up or down.

This is because if the cue bends or warps slightly, it will usually bend within that grain, making it less noticeable and therefore having less of an effect on your game.

Many players don't though... It doesn't seem to do Judd Trump any harm coz he holds it on the side.

Comment

I did not know that . Very interesting

Comment

Cues move over time... Not all, but some will

It's wood after all.

Comment

Which is one reason why a straight grained ash shaft is preferable, the other being that the flex in the shaft is uniform in feel rather than changing with the waves in the grain.

Comment

Working...
              X