back problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back problem

Watching a video of myself playing I noticed in most of my shot I don't have a straight back like it should be...
    I tried to fix this flaw, consciounsly bending from the hips, but it's very hard for me to bend from the hips and not from the waist, it feels totally unnatural to me. Some advice in this regard?

not entirely sure what you are describing but one thing you must remember with snooker and your stance, is that you must be COMFORTABLE; when you are comfortable you can be still on the shot and have nothing to distract your focus on the shot
    I would not say that what you are commenting on is a "flaw" just the way you stand, if it works for you it is ok
    maybe you can link the video so the TSF-coaches can have a look and come back with helpful comments.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

compare ronnie's back in this pic and notice how flat his back is, with mine back in this pic.
      http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multim...et_291257c.jpg
      http://imgur.com/xZEoc22

Comment

Originally Posted by Slh View Post
        compare ronnie's back in this pic and notice how flat his back is, with mine back in this pic.
        http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multim...et_291257c.jpg
        http://imgur.com/xZEoc22
        Just move your feet wider (there should be at least one shoulder width between the heels) and bend the left leg more. Both of these should encourage you to flatten the back more without introducing discomfort. When you bend the left leg make sure the bend is parallel to the shot and doesn't sag in and point to your right.

Terry
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I also thought that your bridge arm was "too" straight, try to have a gentle bend at the elbow to give a more comfortable lean onto the table
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

thank you, i'm gonna try out your advices this afternoon

Comment

sorry slh, but i don't see an issue here. your a pool/ carom ball player right?

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                sorry slh, but i don't see an issue here. your a pool/ carom ball player right?
                yes, carom player

Comment

It makes sense to import snooker principles even if you only play pool, and not snooker. Many pool guys (rather badly) copy stuff from snooker. But carom is a completely different animal compared to pocket games, are you sure you would want to be so low over the cue? Do you get the looks and comments from other players?

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
                    It makes sense to import snooker principles even if you only play pool, and not snooker. Many pool guys (rather badly) copy stuff from snooker. But carom is a completely different animal compared to pocket games, are you sure you would want to be so low over the cue? Do you get the looks and comments from other players?
                    i switched to a higher stance just recently and i still times to time, uncounsciounly get lower on the shot. I'm trying to change this habit and be higher on the shot. I also dropped the back pause, because I felt I lost a bit of power with it.

Comment

Originally Posted by Slh View Post
                      yes, carom player
                      well carom is another world fella! iv played carom with some of the best in europe, yous lot don't need a stance, not really imo! from your pic i can see a typical pool player. some of the best pool players i know approach the table the same way as you.
                      the stance we take 'in many ways is' according to the game. you may want to try and drop the hip on your front leg to free up your opposite cueing arm and have a wee bit more weight going forwards to try and create more pace on the white, because this is an advantage in carom
                      Last edited by j6uk; 1 April 2014, 05:34 PM.

Comment

back problem

I am a tall player and I have always bent over from the waist. recently I have started getting back problems because of this so I have started to try and bend from the hips. I find it easier if you bends from the hips and get down to the shot while your legs are bent. Then straighten your right leg once down. IF you are going to use a low stance them I would recommend bending at the hips.
                        coaching is not just for the pros
                        www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

looks to me lke you have kyphosis (curvature of the spine). i have this and it is impossible to play with a flat back. when you stand are you shoulders down with a flat back or are your shoulders rounded and a rounded back. it may not be possible for you to achieve the stance you are after.

cheers Ricky

Comment

Working...
                          X