perfect snooker stance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• perfect snooker stance

I know the generally accepted stance is by keeping one leg straight, however doing this for me is quite painful, perhaps because im 6 foot 5. Should I persevere or bend both knees? Will this affect my accuracy??

I think in snooker there's "perfect" and then there's what's comfortable. Personally I think for a new player starting out you should try to get as close to perfect as you can. Interestingly enough I was watching the Walden V Wilson match last night and noticed they both had legs bent. John Parrott was another bent legs player and he did ok. Best to discuss with a coach.

Comment

When you decide on which coach you are going to visit , they will sort that out . It was the first thing that was looked at on my coaching session .
      If you have already decided to go seek coaching then I wouldn't worry about it too much till then .

Comment

Originally Posted by ayrshire_top View Post
        I know the generally accepted stance is by keeping one leg straight, however doing this for me is quite painful, perhaps because im 6 foot 5. Should I persevere or bend both knees? Will this affect my accuracy??
        I'm 6ft 4inches. Getting down far enough on the shot is a struggle. Especially as I get older.

Comment

Ive always thought John Higgins has the perfect stance.

Comment

There's quite a few pro's who play with both legs bent, Mark King, Peter Ebdon are a few others that i can think off... It's been mentioned before that as a whole we're getting taller by the generation, it's maybe time to get the tables higher for the taller players out there, make it fairer on the lanky people myself included!
            Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

the perfect stance is solid

Comment

Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
                There's quite a few pro's who play with both legs bent, Mark King, Peter Ebdon are a few others that i can think off... It's been mentioned before that as a whole we're getting taller by the generation, it's maybe time to get the tables higher for the taller players out there, make it fairer on the lanky people myself included!
                Oh yes please, bring them up a couple of inches, it won't make any difference to the short arses as they have to use the rest all the time anyway lol.
                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Go with what's most comfortable for you even if you do have the 'ideal' straight leg bent a bit...as long as it's stable

Terry
                  Terry Davidson
                  IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

No such thing as the perfect stance; a stance has to enable you to put the cue on the line of aim as seen by your own personal eyesight in regards to where the cue needs to be placed between the eyes. If this is done, then where the feet are placed is correct no matter where they are but getting down low over the cue is another matter.
                    Taller players can experiment with taking a wider than usual stance (like I do) or playing with both knees bent but the general accepted stance of one straight leg with foot directly under the grip hand can be very uncomfortable for those of six foot plus.

I know of many quite short players who play with both legs straight as all they need to do to get down over the cue is bend a little bit from the waist.

Comment

I read somewhere that Joe Davis was the perfect height for snooker, think he was around 5' 8".

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
                        I read somewhere that Joe Davis was the perfect height for snooker, think he was around 5' 8".
                        probably by himself in his own book
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                          Oh yes please, bring them up a couple of inches, it won't make any difference to the short arses as they have to use the rest all the time anyway lol.
                          Let's get a petition started... we'll send it straight to Mr. O'Hearn! lol I really believe I couple of inches would make a big difference(in a good way) for many players...
                          Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

lol I really believe I couple of inches would make a big difference(in a good way) for many players...
                            I know it would certainly help me

Terry
                            Terry Davidson
                            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I really believe I couple of inches would make a big difference(in a good way) for many players...
                              There are a couple of tables in our league that are about two inches too low and that is very noticeable for me, I play terribly on them.
                              9 Ball tables are lower than snooker tables, maybe that's a reason so many pool players have a more upright stance.

Comment

Working...
                              X