Is pool ruining my snooker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is pool ruining my snooker?

Hi. I'm not a great snooker player by any standard but I still enjoy to play. I have used the advice of forum members and have improved both my snooker and pool a lot. I still have a few problems. When I have been playing pool instead of snooker and go back I can't seem to pot anything. I know snooker is a lot harder but I'm missing short shots too when they are on an angle. Could it be because the cue ball is smaller in pool and its throwing me off? If not is there anything I can do to improve aiming? Thanks.

I rarely play snooker these days, but find that I can come off a snooker table and play pool quite well but still get caught out by the wider angles, but certainly can't do the reverse and play snooker after pool. The cue ball reacts with the object balls very differently in pool and snooker, largely because of the smaller cue ball in pool, and when you magnify the effect on a larger snooker table it seems like you're missing the balls by miles.

Comment

I don't want to upset the pool lads so I'll whisper this, I don't even count pool as a game, I think it's just for folk who can't be bothered to learn snooker.
      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

make your mind up. you wanna play pool or snooker?

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
          make your mind up. you wanna play pool or snooker?
          I know a number of really quite good snooker players who also enjoy playing pool to quite a high standard. They are not mutually exclusive.

Comment

Can I not play both? :S I would spend all my time learning snooker if I was still young but I'll never be good now so there is no point really

Comment

Originally Posted by SnkrRef View Post
              I know a number of really quite good snooker players who also enjoy playing pool to quite a high standard. They are not mutually exclusive.
              your right, and i didn't say so. i can play all including bar-biliards to a high standard. if your a really good snooker player then it will transfer into other cue sports. the thing is a good snooker player wouldn't even post such a thread..
              i simply wanna know what the author of this thread really wants

Comment

I want to know if I have to adjust my aim or use a difference aiming method when I go from pool to snooker as the cue ball sizes are different?

Comment

Is pool ruining my snooker?

They share some fundamentals but do each have their own application of technique.

I would compare it to 11-a-side and 5-a-side football. Both great games but where a forty yard pass is a great tool on the big pitch but does you no good down your local powerleague.

A good cue action will serve you well in both but keep your approach to each fornat seperate would be my advice.
                  On Cue Facebook Page
                  Stuart Graham Coaching Website - On a break until March 2015
                  Ton Praram Cues UK Price List

Comment

I once had a small chat with Tony Drago, asked him specifically how he adjusts from snooker to pool and vice versa...etc.
                    His response was very simple, he said exactly this:
                    "I don't adjust anything"

Comment

I play both English Pool and Snooker (as my user name would suggest!) and to a very high standard. My basic rule of thumb is DONT play pool before snooker... They're not mutually exclusive - far from it - and you can enjoy both if you keep them seperate.

If you do play both on one day, then make sure it's snooker first, then your pool game will be easy. The cueing, stance and follow through principles are the same. It's maybe the smaller white that's throwing you out.

If you play pool first, then snooker will seem even harder than normal.

Drago plays American pool with silly big pockets... being a pro snooker player, I'd expect him never to miss on those tables...

Comment

Ive been mulling this over myself,I usually play pool to a decent standard but lately ive been playing snooker a lot more (4 hours a day) and I find my pool suffering as a result.
                        "Practice Makes Perfect"
                        "He Who Endures Conquers"
                        "Fortune Favours The Brave"

1 piece Trevor White 8.5mm Tip,17 1/2oz,57"

Comment

Both games help each other. Pool (at least American pool) is a side and top spin game. Snooker is a screw and stun game. In pool you tend to use top and side to get into position because it's a smaller playing area, and more congestion. With snooker, you have more room to maneuver and so can use stun a lot. You can see heavy use of top spin and natural angles in Mark's snooker game.

For aiming and potting, the principles are the same but yes, good suggestion about doing snooker first.
                          Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                          My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

I always thought that all of the balls were of the same size. Although, if you were playing on a coin operated pool table, the cue ball could be of a different size (or magnetic) so that it is returned if pocketed (or on a table that has that feature).

It could be that the material of the snooker balls is different from pool balls, so they react differently.

The question is I guess, what aiming method are you using? Or do you rely on your brain to do it for you? Half-ball, quarter-ball, three quarter-ball, etc?
                            Last edited by Gnubblez; 8 May 2014, 11:06 PM.

Comment

I'd say the trick is when playing pool to keep your fundamentals as tight as you would be while playing snooker. I think there is a tendency to loosen up a bit while playing pool which creates bad habits that you take back to the snooker table.

Comment

Working...
                              X