the 4 contact points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the 4 contact points

Here is a guy in thailand showing how important the 4 contact points are (bridge, chin, chest and grip)

In other vids he has some students doing mainly long potting straight also saying that if you don't pot 90-100% long straights then you will not be able to go on.

Temporary I am also missing straights only from pink spot. Still a long way.
    Is there more I can do to make cueing straight. I am a loner. Practise by my self.

Originally Posted by Cmbrstefan View Post
    Here is a guy in thailand showing how important the 4 contact points are (bridge, chin, chest and grip)

In other vids he has some students doing mainly long potting straight also saying that if you don't pot 90-100% long straights then you will not be able to go on.

Temporary I am also missing straights only from pink spot. Still a long way.
    Is there more I can do to make cueing straight. I am a loner. Practise by my self.
    When he looked away I thought he was just talking to the camera and then he potted the ball without even looking at it. Amazing.

Comment

That was good

Think I'm going to start a new thread called " where should I look when potting ..cueball , object ball ........or cameraman ?"

Comment

Hi would you mind to translate the audio from this video? I get what he is doing, but would like to hear it in his own words.
        Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
        My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

If I'm being a pendant. It actually shows you how unimportant the chin is. He does't use his chin at all to pot the red.

Comment

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
            Hi would you mind to translate the audio from this video? I get what he is doing, but would like to hear it in his own words.

As Requested the Translation.
            ["next i will show you the way of marking the cue with what they call the 4 contact points. 4 means 1) Bridge 2) Chin 3) Nipple 4) Grip. Marking the points and delivering straight." (While aiming he says to line up straight) bring down your body to align and mark with the nipple then the chin. As giving away the cue he mentions to hold your body still with no movements, returning the cue and mentioning to line up the shot with the nipple and deliver slowly"]

it should explain that Bridge , Nipple (Chest) and grip are the main factors for you to feel right that you are delivering in a straight line. As many do is bridge chin and grip, that would result in moving chin and moving grip. but the biggest body part does not move that easy (if you keep the touch on the chest to one spot.

I realised in the WSC ronnie and selby have a lot of body movements, but one is in common to both as the cue never leaves the chest.

Comment

Originally Posted by Cmbrstefan View Post
              As Requested the Translation.
              ["next i will show you the way of marking the cue with what they call the 4 contact points. 4 means 1) Bridge 2) Chin 3) Nipple 4) Grip. Marking the points and delivering straight." (While aiming he says to line up straight) bring down your body to align and mark with the nipple then the chin. As giving away the cue he mentions to hold your body still with no movements, returning the cue and mentioning to line up the shot with the nipple and deliver slowly"]

it should explain that Bridge , Nipple (Chest) and grip are the main factors for you to feel right that you are delivering in a straight line. As many do is bridge chin and grip, that would result in moving chin and moving grip. but the biggest body part does not move that easy (if you keep the touch on the chest to one spot.

I realised in the WSC ronnie and selby have a lot of body movements, but one is in common to both as the cue never leaves the chest.
              Thank you. That's very interesting. Is he trying to say that generally the chest doesn't move so that should be our anchoring point?

Thanks

Comment

Can you also translate this?

Comment

That is very good cueing, interesting how he lines up the cue leave the tip at the cueball and then drops down onto it.

there was one thing I noticed is that he is addressing the cueball low as if he is playing a screw back shot, but as he delivers the cue he hits higher and therefore getting the stun run through effect.

it didn't effect is cueing which was impressively straight.

in my opinion I think all beginners should start this way, once you can cue like this straight you know for sure that you have no issues with cueing and then can focus on other aspects of the game , like position and potting at different angles.

I wish I could go back to the beginning and start over. this is what I would be doing. unfortunately I tried to run before I could walk and now I find progression is slower than I thought it would.

I have in a way started to practice specific routines now which the main emphasis is on cueing straight. so I guess I have a long way to go yet.

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                    I wish I could go back to the beginning and start over. this is what I would be doing. unfortunately I tried to run before I could walk and now I find progression is slower than I thought it would.

I have in a way started to practice specific routines now which the main emphasis is on cueing straight. so I guess I have a long way to go yet.
                    Same here.

I now have complete section of my practice routine dedicated to straight cueing. It's already starting to pay off.

Comment

Initially when I started coaching I used Nic Barrow's set-up which dictated having the cue off the chest or just lightly touching the chest. After a little bit of experience plus experimenting on my own I now believe the cue should be quite firmly on the chest for straighter cueing.

Originally Nic thought placing the cue firmly on the chest would lead to the player 'steering' the cue around the chest however I've found this to be not true as long as you have the nice loose grip and accelerate through the cueball driving the hand to the chest.

I agree cue on chest leads to much more consistent long potting especially.

Terry
                      Terry Davidson
                      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                        Initially when I started coaching I used Nic Barrow's set-up which dictated having the cue off the chest or just lightly touching the chest. After a little bit of experience plus experimenting on my own I now believe the cue should be quite firmly on the chest for straighter cueing.

Originally Nic thought placing the cue firmly on the chest would lead to the player 'steering' the cue around the chest however I've found this to be not true as long as you have the nice loose grip and accelerate through the cueball driving the hand to the chest.

I agree cue on chest leads to much more consistent long potting especially.

Terry
                        Having followed your advice previously and changed my grip so that the cue is only making a contact point between the upper inner pad of the thumb and first finger and adopting the chest contact point around the nipple. My long potting and accuracy has improved a lot. I've never cued better.
                        Strangely. I cue better when I don't have my chin on the cue but just above it.

Comment

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
                          Can you also translate this?

making a full translation on this video would be to boring as he is always saying the same thing over.
                          mainly he says to the video "this practise is to make the cueing action and delivery better and straight.
                          It is up to you how you set up the balls, just to make sure you put them on a straight line. Always to remember the 4 point (nipple chin bridge grip).

But before moving to this stage straight plain ball pocket shots should be done if you are a total beginner, this will give you the basic muscle feeling that you need to have whilst making shots.
                          Mentioning also the basic line up, step in and then lock the cue moving with the chin and chest to the cue (not pulling the cue towards you), to ensure a straight delivery.

He says that only practise will work loads of it, it is a time consuming thing and also very boring, but if you do not cue straight then all other angled shot are usles as you either hit it to thin or to thick (eventually missing the pot).

He also mentions Niche cues (www.nichecue.com) 1 of thailand handmade cuemakers (as thai he promotes what he uses thailand made)

So practise makes perfect (Can't cue straight can't improve potting)

Sorry am late, had a whole day of work to do

Comment

Basically Dell Hill coaching isn't it? Tip to cue ball , chest to cue, etc etc.
                            to me the first video not only showed the importance of the contact points but the major importance of getting online and staying there.
                            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
                              Having followed your advice previously and changed my grip so that the cue is only making a contact point between the upper inner pad of the thumb and first finger and adopting the chest contact point around the nipple. My long potting and accuracy has improved a lot. I've never cued better.
                              Strangely. I cue better when I don't have my chin on the cue but just above it.
                              I have found it's much better for me to not do the Graeme Dott thing (he used to have to put a plaster on his chin) and although I have the cue touching the chin it's not hard against it but firm against the chest (and bridge) and that seems to work well for me. I have started flexing the cue against chin and chest when I assume the address position and then relaxing it a bit so it's against the chin but not really tight but keeping it quite firm on the chest.

This seems to provide the channel I need but one other thought I'm working on is to keep the cue firm against the chest during the backswing as I have a tendency to drop the butt a bit during a longer backswing and I think a lot of players do that and it's the result of dropping the elbow too much at the end of a longer backswing. Then I'm also trying to keep the cue against the chest right through to the end of the delivery and also trying not to drop the elbow at all although I have noticed I do drop it a bit on power shots.

I've also noticed when I do drop the elbow on a power shot and miss it the cause has been me dropping the elbow early and accelerating using my shoulder muscle which for me (and a lot of players) is a definite no-no. Normally this has been the end result of too short a backswing for the power I wanted. Jeez, this game is tough!!!

Terry
                              Terry Davidson
                              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Working...
                              X