Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My updated practice routine. Please critique.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My updated practice routine. Please critique.

So thanks to the good folks on this board. I have revised my practice routine because the last one that I did was really for someone who is a century maker. Not someone like me who hits 20's and 30's.

So I figure I would concentrate on 3 main features.

1 - Concentrates on good straight cueing.
    2 - Positional play.
    3 - Clearing the colours and break building.

I've also adopted an approach to reach targets to improve my concentration.

Cueing exercises.

Double kissing the blue

Hit the blue full in the face so the blue comes off the black cushion and hits the white. Complete this twice.

Long straight blues

Pocket the blue in all 4 pockets before moving on.

15 long reds

Try to pocket all 15 reds. I'm not allowed to move on from this exercise until I've potted at least 4. If I fail. Reset and try again. The first shot is free. The exercise doesn't start until the first ball is potted.

Positional play

15 red line up

Not allowed to move on from this exercise until I've potted all 15 reds. If any fails to pot. Reset.

Clearing the colours and break building

Clearing the colours

Not allowed to continue until you have successfully cleared the colours.

Break building

Try to score as much as possible from this position.

Don't know about other players but I've always found the first exercise, double kissing the blue from the top cushion to be VERY difficult. I have never double kissed the blue and got the cueball to come back anywhere near the brown spot although I can double kiss the blue with a little bit of consistency.

This exercise will absolutely confirm straight cueing if done at medium pace to get past any rolls in the table.

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
      Don't know about other players but I've always found the first exercise, double kissing the blue from the top cushion to be VERY difficult. I have never double kissed the blue and got the cueball to come back anywhere near the brown spot although I can double kiss the blue with a little bit of consistency.

This exercise will absolutely confirm straight cueing if done at medium pace to get past any rolls in the table.

Terry
      The best I've managed is a little better then a half ball contact on the white. It's very hard.

Comment

Terry
        Never tried it, but I will, and will let you know.
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Would the first exercise even be possible over the spots? Wouldn't the angle be affected by the cloth and cushions that weren't brushed or ironed as well? I'm thinking it could be done but not over the spots.
          Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
          My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Terry
            Let's make it even better.double kiss the blue and have the white return to your tip...LOL now that would be something.
            " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
            " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
            http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

15 red line up + clearing the colours good. Others still too tough. Blue double kiss routine is masochistic at best.

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
                15 red line up + clearing the colours good. Others still too tough. Blue double kiss routine is masochistic at best.
                Thanks ace man.

It took me about 5 attempts to clear the 15 red line up in one go. It was tough. I took me nearly a hour to clear the colours. Lot's of times I managed to clear to the black which rattled in the pocket.

The double kiss isn't too tough for me for some reason. I can get the double kiss without much problem. Not a full ball double kiss but maybe the odd quarter ball.

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
                  Thanks ace man.

It took me about 5 attempts to clear the 15 red line up in one go. It was tough. I took me nearly a hour to clear the colours. Lot's of times I managed to clear to the black which rattled in the pocket.

The double kiss isn't too tough for me for some reason. I can get the double kiss without much problem. Not a full ball double kiss but maybe the odd quarter ball.
                  I must be right around the same kind of player as yourself. Still working on running 15 reds. But had my pockets opened a day ago and I ran 68 in the lineup last night. The blue ball double kiss I think is a good one, you sure know how bad you are cueing or how bad your table is rolling.

Comment

Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
                    I must be right around the same kind of player as yourself. Still working on running 15 reds. But had my pockets opened a day ago and I ran 68 in the lineup last night.
                    We could be at the same level. I've never counted how much I've made in a proper line up before. 68 sounds quite good. Better probably then I've done. Keep going Les.

The 15 reds was a much better exercise then I thought it would be. And you don't have to stop to pick out the balls. It's quite easy at first but when you get down to 3 or 4 reds the positional side gets a lot harder.

Comment

How many times can you make a colour clearance without getting out of position and running out of steam ? God ! that routine can drive you potty ! Mind you getting out of position and ending up with a crazy long shot on the blue has improved my long potting and asking myself how the "Hell did I finish up there" !!!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
                        We could be at the same level. I've never counted how much I've made in a proper line up before. 68 sounds quite good. Better probably then I've done. Keep going Les.

The 15 reds was a much better exercise then I thought it would be. And you don't have to stop to pick out the balls. It's quite easy at first but when you get down to 3 or 4 reds the positional side gets a lot harder.
                        Yes I agree, I have been working on the 15 reds for the past two weeks. I have cleared them all numerous times but still have days when I make about 4 then miss. I think it is called concentration and keeping my eye on BOB which I know is my biggest fault. Kind of like golf keep you head down.

Comment

Originally Posted by denja View Post
                          How many times can you make a colour clearance without getting out of position and running out of steam ? God ! that routine can drive you potty ! Mind you getting out of position and ending up with a crazy long shot on the blue has improved my long potting and asking myself how the "Hell did I finish up there" !!!!!
                          I have never been able to clear it more then once. I have been working on Nic Barrows Snooker Gym and there is a part in one chapter where you have to clear it 3 times so before you pot the black you put the colours back up. Tough one and again all about position. Brown to Blue. Floyd Ziegler who practices with me which is the Canadian Champion practices potting all colours in the green pocket. Try and get position on blue from brown to make it in the green pocket....LOL

Comment

Originally Posted by denja View Post
                            LOL. I'm the same. Brown to blue is killer. It's key. I've managed to make a full colour clearance 4 or 5 times now. The first one is the toughest. But going forward I will have to complete it every time I go and practice.

Comment

Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
                              ...I have been working on Nic Barrows Snooker Gym and there is a part in one chapter where you have to clear it 3 times so before you pot the black you put the colours back up.
                              So you have to pot the pink in such a way as to leave yourself an angle on the black to get back up to the yellow. Sounds super tough but a great exercise if you are good enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X