Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to start building your game? Is it worth hiring a coach for the basics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to start building your game? Is it worth hiring a coach for the basics?

I used to play a fair bit and was reasonably OK - could make regular 30 breaks which I was happy with.

After a long break last week I went to play again. I was really frustrated with how badly I played - I could barely pot anything other than very short range shots, tried some 1/4 ball safety shots and completely missed the red on several occasions, I had problems lining up the shot and keeping the cue straight when cueing, stance didn't feel comfortable and I couldn't seem to take my eyes off the cue ball when trying to pot something.

Basically it was all a bit nasty to be honest.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on where to start with (re)building a game? Should I look at cue action? Stance? Just practice potting?

Is it worthwhile (and affordable £) for a very amature player to hire a coach for a few sessions? I mean I'm never going to be ROS but it would be nice to be able to pot a few balls!

How often do you intend to play snooker?
    WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
    Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
      How often do you intend to play snooker?
      Probably 3 times a week, 2-3 hours a time.

Comment

Originally Posted by Cov86 View Post
        Just do that for a while. You'll get back to your old form quite rapidly.

Comment

Got told by Chris Small [ Ex pro and now a coach ] that the best thing to do to get back into the swing of things after a while way , is to set up 5 reds between the pink and black , put all the colours on the spot and try to clear the table . Then add more reds as you improve your game .
          Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
            Got told by Chris Small [ Ex pro and now a coach ] that the best thing to do to get back into the swing of things after a while way , is to set up 5 reds between the pink and black , put all the colours on the spot and try to clear the table . Then add more reds as you improve your game .
            this is a very good idea from niel cav86,
            but hold on you you said 6-9 hours a week (and that's quite a lot) you could play right? but is that social play with a mate, practice or a bit of both? i ask because it sounds like you want to be better than you once were and, i'm guessing you wanna start making 50s and 60s.. if i was you i wouldn't fcuk about, i'd got straight to the top coaching wise, lay me cards out and ask for help

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
              this is a very good idea from niel cav86,
              but hold on you you said 6-9 hours a week (and that's quite a lot) you could play right? but is that social play with a mate, practice or a bit of both? i ask because it sounds like you want to be better than you once were and, i'm guessing you wanna start making 50s and 60s.. if i was you i wouldn't fcuk about, i'd got straight to the top coaching wise, lay me cards out and ask for help
              I would go with that, if you want to improve above the standard you were at get coaching, IMO get it before you have any ingrained bad habits to fix, as where you are now you can be moulded correctly pretty quickly I would guess, but get some bad habits and they have to be knocked out first and it's all just wasting time.
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by Cov86 View Post
                That's not enough time for any match play. In 2 hours it is very unlikely that you can get more than 4 frames or so. Less if you play slow and methodical guys.
                For solo practise it is ok to just maintain your level if you're not just bashing the balls around. Maybe some small progress over long period of time is possible if those hours are of really high quality.

Having a 9 to 5 and rushing through traffic to snooker club after work...hard to get quality time that way. After a full day's work you are already mentally exhausted even if you don't realize it, and I see no way how you can commit yourself fully.

To get really good at snooker, you must make the snooker club your second home. And that of course isn't possible unless you're a school boy with very tolerant parents or a bum with no job.

Comment

i think it can be done because ive seen it done before. yes you can get to a decent standard but you do need to make sacrifices and be mentally and physically prepared for the work, with good time management to boot.. you could do sayx2 hrs fri/sat/sun and on one of those sessions with a coach for a few months.

Comment

in my opinion I would definitely go with a coach for a few sessions. if you are feeling uncomfortable while down on the shot and you are not sure how to correct it or where to begin. sounds like that could be time well spent and money. they will be able to give you a rock soild stance, something that you feel happy with, and a great number of good routines to practice. You need the basics in place to build your game around so I think its never a bad idea to look into a coach.

Comment

Working...
                    X