Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tip query... and progress update

Hello mates,

I have been playing pretty well lately. I have a snooker mate with whom I really enjoy and he always challenges me. In our head to head meeting I was leading him 2-1 (race to 5) and then he came back and I lost three sessions against him and all session were on deciders and went up to the last pink and black. Real encounters. Then I won one against him. So now we are on 4-3 and I trail by 1 match.

PROGRESS

My observations: I am back to making 20 odd breaks on almost every chance. I did a 30 odd and a 44 on one occasion. I just kept calm and concentrated on the BoB and the rest of everything went in to its correct place automatically. My grip went auto-lose enough magically I have learnt that once your technique is correct you need to forget about it and concentrate on BoB. I also noticed one more thing that when I was concentrating properly on Bob during front pause can you guys believe what I could see at front pause I could see tiny chalk dust flying off the cue tip hahahaha and those marks on the table and that tiny little fabric hanging out of the tip that I pinched off etc... It was all together a different experience. We played when no one was around and in last three frames other people came in silence changed in to noise and those chalk marks etc went away, I could not notice them anymore. This means that people are correct when they say that when you concentrate hard you see those tiny details ... Now I understand why does Ron always pinches those fabrics off his cue tip or cleans his ferrule etc... I am a happy kid right now.

THE NEW TIP QUERY

OK so I was using a pretty soft elm master tip (my first time ever to use a soft tip). I thought I would love it as I normally play delicate shots but to my surprise I was always getting short of pace just a tiny bit on my shots perhaps because I have always played with medium and hard tips. Anyway, when the club manager fitted the tip for me it was 10mm and he fitted it on my 9.5mm ferulle so some of the tip was hanging out like a mushroom (Ebdon style) but I disliked it I could not imagine seeing tip coming out of the ferrule looked wrong from an OCD perspective so I cutted it down trimmed it and did so many things that I started to lose shape. After even one hard shot it would have a bad shape and I was constantly shaping it. In the end it got real bad and I fitted a new tip last night. I selected it myself i.e. 9.5mm and fitted it myself and its a perfect perfect fit. Shaped it a bit and started instantly potting pretty nicely. Its a hard elk masters (mediums were not available) however I noticed last night that it is producing a strange sound. Not the sound of a tip even a hard tip but seems as if I am striking the ball without the tip.

Has anyone experienced this ever? Is it cuz the tip is too hard ot I applied too much glue or what? whenever I strike it produces a sound just as one is hitting without a tip. Strange woody kind of sound.... suggestions please??? I dont want to remove it but this sound is disturbing me...

And yes, one thing more, unlike my old soft tip when I felt short of pace just a tiny bit, noe with this new hard tip I experienced I am always and always more of pace on almost all shots just a tiny bit? Do I need to alter my pace or will my cueing get adjusted to the new tip over time automatically...? I am always a couple of inches or maybe 4 inches more on pace in terms of position. Previously i was a couple of inches short.

Cheers,
    Sidd.
    Last edited by Sidd; 29 May 2014, 05:26 AM. Reason: addition
    "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

That sound is the sound of a tip about to come off as it hasn't been glued on properly. Remove it carefully, clean and level the base of it with sandpaper and glue it back on.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
      That sound is the sound of a tip about to come off as it hasn't been glued on properly. Remove it carefully, clean and level the base of it with sandpaper and glue it back on.
      Sidd:

Also make very certain you remove all teh glue from the end of the cue itself and then using a flat file make sure the tenon (wood bit inside the ferrule) and the ferrule are level. It could be your tenon is sticking up a bit or the reverse with the ferrule up a bit higher than the wood.

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Sidd I have a 9.4 ferrule and fit 11mm tips and then trim them, I find that fitting a larger tip helps to get it central better. I use a gel glue which gives me 5-10 seconds of time before it sets this allows me to manoeuvre it a bit if its not correct.

what Terry says is good advice, make sure that the Ferrule is flat I have found in the past although I have cleaned it and made sure no glue is left on there sometimes the tip just looked wrong and I could see slight gaps between the tip and the ferrule.

so a good idea is to get a small file and light file the to of the cue and with a knife blade I lay the sharp edge across the top of the ferrule I check that it is level before sticking the new tip on.

the type of tip I am using are quite hard MW supertip. I find they hold their shape pretty well and play well, distance screw shots are not easy to achieve but overall excellent

Comment

I've experienced similar strange sound of play before. It's due to the tip getting a little bit lose from the cue.

Comment

Working...
          X