Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The importance of setting yourself realistic goals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
    Oh the suffering of missing the last one! But that's the way to learn.
    On the contrary, i think you will get frustrated and give up, surely much better to set back up the ball you missed !!!

Comment

Where are the 5 reds? Post a video and we might be able to help.
      The 5 reds are 2 between the black and pink while 3 reds between blue and pink. But this is the first time I decided to do line up for training. I find it very good. It test all kinds of shots.

Comment

I will try to post a video. But guys please dont be bored looking at a newbie. Haha. I will try my best to sink all 5 reds in. So far its been only 4. To be honest quite happy with the results and I feel enjoyable although its not perfect.

Comment

Originally Posted by tofushop193 View Post
          I will try to post a video. But guys please dont be bored looking at a newbie. Haha. I will try my best to sink all 5 reds in. So far its been only 4. To be honest quite happy with the results and I feel enjoyable although its not perfect.
          Thats great that you find it challenging. Try putting 3 between pink and black. That might actually be a little easier as you won't be dealing with side pocket angles as much. Playing corners with reds/pink/black is more beneficial as you can always use two cushions (top and side) more easily for position if you need to. With the reds between blue and pink, you are more likely to play stuns with no cushions or one cushion to get position, and then end up off position on the red/color.
          Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
          My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Oh the suffering of missing the last one! But that's the way to learn.
            Yes. Experience is a cruel mistress.

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
            On the contrary, i think you will get frustrated and give up, surely much better to set back up the ball you missed !!!
            It works better for me to reset and start from scratch. It really focuses my mind. Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

I tend to get lazy with practice over time so to keep me focused I took a note out of the Steve Davis practice regime and used to set myself little challenges just like he used to do to keep himself focused -

For example if I did the line up I would have to make a century before I had a cup of tea or something to eat - and before I left must clear the colours 5 times.

Can do it now ok - and but in the early days I days I lost a lot of weight

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
                I know. I'm stupid.

For the last year or so when I've been practising I would just set the balls up in practise positions and try and pot. If I missed it didn't matter because I would replace the missed ball and have another go. And so it went on. Realistically. I wasn't going to complete the line up etc... not at my level so I didn't mind missing etc...

More recently I have decided complete paired back my practice routines. As others have mentions. I now start off with 15 red line up with one below the black and one above the blue spot in a straight line. And I do not progress to any other routines until I have completely potted all 15 reds without flukes. Ideally I attempt to not use any cushions either.

I've been off the snooker table for 5 weeks due to a broken ankle and was a bit rusty on Monday and it took me two hours to complete all 15 reds. Many times I would be break down on the last 1 or 2 reds. Today I did it on my third attempt. My positional skills is much improved.
                I also completed the colours on my second attempt.

I've realised for me that it's the only way to improve. To set myself realistic targets and don't move onto the next exercise until I've completed them. Tough love.

******“The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.”

*Michelangelo quote
                2013/2014 Season Event Predictor Winner!

Comment

Someone mentioned practice vs game performance.

Make sure you are doing everything you are doing on the practice table during a game. It can be very hard because your attention is on a thousand things not present on the practice table. I dissected my sighting practice vs game, and there was one difference. Once I found that difference, my game performance came up to practice performance. That was my problem to start with. Then it was just a matter of developing good cue timing. As Eddie Charlton said in a book, have the pace and feel of your shot in your head as you take the shot. As you are taking the shot, you are trying to match that feeling with what the cue does. You don't concentrate on it forever, but, until its natural, for me it was the main reason i would miss most of my shots early on.

Whether it be the practice table or practice fairway, there are a million perfect hitters on those. It only counts in a match. (as we know)
                  Last edited by SonicWave; 6 July 2014, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by SonicWave View Post
                    Someone mentioned practice vs game performance.

Make sure you are doing everything you are doing on the practice table during a game. It can be very hard because your attention is on a thousand things not present on the practice table. I dissected my sighting practice vs game, and there was one difference. Once I found that difference, my game performance came up to practice performance. That was my problem to start with. Then it was just a matter of developing good cue timing. As Eddie Charlton said in a book, have the pace and feel of your shot in your head as you take the shot. As you are taking the shot, you are trying to match that feeling with what the cue does. You don't concentrate on it forever, but, until its natural, for me it was the main reason i would miss most of my shots early on.

Whether it be the practice table or practice fairway, there are a million perfect hitters on those. It only counts in a match. (as we know)
                    Yes. A very good point. I have yet to match my ability on the practice table when I play someone else. One day it will come. It's getting closer though

Comment

I manage to get a 84 in a normal line up this morning. Only 4 reds left of the table. I'm delighted.

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
                        I manage to get a 84 in a normal line up this morning. Only 4 reds left of the table. I'm delighted.
                        Was that using the cushions?

Comment

thats what there for aint it?

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                            Was that using the cushions?
                            Yes. Where needed.

Comment

Very well done Cyber, you are definitely making steady progress, the normal line up will soon be like the straight red line up to you, in the fact that it's just the last few reds that can be the problem.
                              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                                Very well done Cyber, you are definitely making steady progress, the normal line up will soon be like the straight red line up to you, in the fact that it's just the last few reds that can be the problem.
                                Thanks mate. I ended up too straight on a blue which scuppered my chance of clearing the last 4 reds. I was getting quite nervous at that point. LOL.

Comment

Working...
                                X