Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
    What do you mean by 'slide' Terry
    A really slick new cloth can be a problem when using side as the cue ball will throw more initially (what I called 'slide') and it catches you unawares but because the cloth is so slick you can move the cueball with no effort anyway. Where it got to me was the break-off shot where I use about 2 o'clock about 1 tip width off centre-ball and I hit the second red up instead of the last red as I normally do.

On a really slow table I go a little further from centre-ball on the break-off as otherwise I'll hit the blue.

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
      i'll have to look at ray's work a bit more and look out for this sharp impact striking thing. for me whatever shot i play i always want it to be timed well, with side, drag or deceleration. again though less is more, i go half a tip out of the center and manage to create as much as i need. and if your on a proper table then is more that enough
      Me as well. Only in some rare cases when navigating off the black will I use extreme side - but then only with slow pace - and only to get into a specific red or position on the table to continue the break. If I'm going to use extreme side, it's almost always with run not check. In fact, thinking about it, I most often use side off the black and less often off all other colors.
      Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
      My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

stun and center ball is how to really advance in this game..

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
          A really slick new cloth can be a problem when using side as the cue ball will throw more initially (what I called 'slide')

Terry
          What I call deflection then. All these different terms for the same thing, no wonder we're all confused.

I find that a new cloth will mean the cue ball will deflect a little less off the tip of the cue but arc more across the nap than with a worn cloth, but that can easily be worked out and adjusted for with just a few practise strokes.

I have never played on a new slick cloth like the pros use so have no base to work from there, but it can't be all that more difficult to find out how the cue ball reacts and play shots with side accordingly.

Every time I play a match on a table I don't know I play a few practise strokes with side off the yellow and green just to guage the reaction of the cloth and away I go.

Comment

stun and center ball is how to really advance in this game..
            We all know that keeping things simple is the way to go, but playing side in snooker is just unavoidable. Just look at Ronnie's latest 147. He uses reverse side a couple of times in that break because he has no choice.

Yes, don't play side when you don't need to, but if you are actually not capable of playing side, it will hold you back massively.
            WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
            Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
            --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

if you can play with it and find it works thats great. but if you find yourself breaking down a lot 20,30, the white keeps drifting to the side cush and your unsure positionally. try playing the same shots that you would usually use side on and look to playing it center of the white, just above or just below. these are the sweet spots.
              we all like side when we start playing and there nothing wrong with it. thats how we get good at using it. but as you improve your tip gets closer and closer to the center of the white. so thats the next level.
              Last edited by j6uk; 25 July 2014, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                What I call deflection then. All these different terms for the same thing, no wonder we're all confused.
                ive only know this slid as 'pushes out'

Comment

if you can play with it and find it works thats great. but if you find yourself breaking down a lot 20,30, the white keeps drifting to the side cush and your unsure positionally. try playing the same shots that you would usually use side on and look to playing it center of the white, just above or just below. these are the sweet spots.
                  we all like side when we start playing and there nothing wrong with it. thats how we get good at using it. but as you improve your tip gets closer and closer to the center of the white. so thats the next level.
                  I like the way you've explained that. Cheers.
                  WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                  Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I think stun run through deserves a mention here. Must have shot for advanced positioning. Far more difficult to control than those little flick side shots.

Comment

ive only know this slid as 'pushes out'
                      since year dot its been refered to as" throw"

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                        what throws, cloth or the cue?

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                          what throws, cloth or the cue?
                          I would say thats cues affect throw on the cue ball. Different cues, play same shot on a table from the same positions and you may see different amount of throw.
                          But saying that I am sure that different cloths will affect the throw differently, ie a thicker nap club cloth may affect the throw with more deflection than a fine cut tournament cloth. Be interested in others thoughts or tests
                          Last edited by DeanH; 25 July 2014, 08:55 PM.
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Well cloth does affect throw heavy nap throws less as the side bites more

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                              i don't disagree to use side when its absolutely necessary, but as i said every single shot is not necessary.

we all know that using side really is guesswork to some extent even if you have played it reasonably well before, just a change in table conditions, i.e quality of cloth different balls even room temperature can change how the shot is played and sometimes playing a shot that you have played with side before with some success might not work and you are left scratching your head to why.

i just think sometimes there are alternatives without using side which is less of a risk and easier to judge, some have been using side so much they don't see the alternatives or it may be a case they have never tried them.

so the bottom line is it should be use in moderation when the alternatives will not gain the desired position needed.
                              Nice comment!!!
                              There are many players who use side or helping side. (At least that's what they think they are doing!! Because useing side is not so easy.). What they really do is mess with their cue action.
                              May I make a suggestion? (I hope you do'nt mind)
                              Next time you're at the snooker table to practice, try this one : (( What you need for this practice is only two balls: CB and blackball. Get everything off the table except CB and black ball).
                              Put only the black ball on his spot.
                              Put the CB with an angle of 30/35 grde, near to tha blackball.
                              Just try to pot the blackball.
                              BUT: you have to hold position on the black ball spot. Because the black comes back to his spot. and you have to pot him again !!!!!
                              Usually if you are able to pot the Black 32 times on this way ( without missing ) en each time able to keep the good position with the CB !!! , Then you're a player who can probably make a 147. (When you get the chance for it During a game.
                              Most of pros, has done these practices for over 1000 times already.
                              When you're done, let me know, how many times did you have to use the side to keep position on black???
                              I'm just curious!! Of course, if you have time for this.!!! thanks.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                                Nice comment!!!
                                There are many players who use side or helping side. (At least that's what they think they are doing!! Because useing side is not so easy.). What they really do is mess with their cue action.
                                May I make a suggestion? (I hope you do'nt mind)
                                Next time you're at the snooker table to practice, try this one : (( What you need for this practice is only two balls: CB and blackball. Get everything off the table except CB and black ball).
                                Put only the black ball on his spot.
                                Put the CB with an angle of 30/35 grde, near to tha blackball.
                                Just try to pot the blackball.
                                BUT: you have to hold position on the black ball spot. Because the black comes back to his spot. and you have to pot him again !!!!!
                                Usually if you are able to pot the Black 32 times on this way ( without missing ) en each time able to keep the good position with the CB !!! , Then you're a player who can probably make a 147. (When you get the chance for it During a game.
                                Most of pros, has done these practices for over 1000 times already.
                                When you're done, let me know, how many times did you have to use the side to keep position on black???
                                I'm just curious!! Of course, if you have time for this.!!! thanks.
                                well Ramon i do on occasions practice blacks only but haven't done for some time so maybe i can give it another visit. my best was 19 when i last tried it so ill have another go soon and see if i can beat that

Comment

Working...
                                X