Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing, sighting and pause? all seem a bit out :(

Hi Guys,
    Over the summer I have been playing a lot of pool and whilst it was nice to keep my cue arm going, now with the snooker season approaching I have gone back to the snooker table and things don't feel right at all and my game is really suffering.
    My sighting now seems all over the shop, cue ball, object ball, pocket, cue ball, object ball and i finish on cue ball. it feel odd. any suggestions?
    Also, and I don't know how, I have suddenly developed a pronounced pause on my back swing. Whilst some think this is good, it is really throwing out my shot weight and judgement, any tips on how to eliminate the pause?
    And, long shots, when I'm down on the shot, chin on the cue and looking at the object ball, I can't get my eyes up far enough, should I raise my head? I never used to have an issue? am I perhaps over reaching?
    Any help would be great

Thanks Matt

Originally Posted by mattdoombar View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Over the summer I have been playing a lot of pool and whilst it was nice to keep my cue arm going, now with the snooker season approaching I have gone back to the snooker table and things don't feel right at all and my game is really suffering.
    Pool tables are lower down. Some adjustment is required.

My sighting now seems all over the shop, cue ball, object ball, pocket, cue ball, object ball and i finish on cue ball. it feel odd. any suggestions?
    Once you've completed the sighting of the shot and determined the line of aim whilst in the standing up position, and walked into the line of aim and got down on your shot. You only have to look at cue ball and object ball. There is no point in looking at the pocket until after you've completed your shot.

Also, and I don't know how, I have suddenly developed a pronounced pause on my back swing. Whilst some think this is good, it is really throwing out my shot weight and judgement, any tips on how to eliminate the pause?
    It's now part of your natural game. Use it.

And, long shots, when I'm down on the shot, chin on the cue and looking at the object ball, I can't get my eyes up far enough, should I raise my head? I never used to have an issue? am I perhaps over reaching?
    I'm 6ft 5inches and wear glasses and I can get my chin on the cue and still see the object ball. Are you bending your back enough to get down on the shot.
    Post a video if you can.

Comment

When you deliver the cue, which ball do you sight last, cue or object?

I will try and get my action at the table filmed.

I never used to have the pause, not a huge fan, feel it messes my rythym up

Comment

It should be as cyber has said above. Select your line of aim when standing up behind the shot then lock your eyes on the object ball and drop your head STRAIGHT DOWN. Do your normal feathering and then do a front pause as a final check, running the eyes from end of cue to cueball to object ball BUT NOT THE POCKET (or in reverse, object ball to cueball and to the end of the cue).

Make sure your final backswing is SLOW and SMOOTH and keep your eyes locked on the spot on the cueball you want to hit until somewhere around the end of the backswing, during the rear pause or at the very start of the smooth delivery. Every player has his own eye rhythm. Older players should lock their eyes on the object ball at the front pause though).

Regarding the rear pause. I have never had one and I've tried and tried to get one that doesn't screw up my timing as I feel it's very beneficial and helps the player to accelerate through and beyond the cueball however I have never been successful. If you really want to get rid of it then lock your eyes on the object ball on the front pause and keep the backswing very slow and that should at least reduce it or else eliminate it altogether.

Terry
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Hi Guys,
          Any help would be great

Thanks Matt
          matt. ,,, I play pool (American pool) too. not often, very occasionally just for fun. I have same problem. each time cost me a couple of hours to find my normaal rhythm back on t snooker table !!!!maybe ( as cyber said) , because pool table is lower !!!! I have heard this problem from several other snooker players. strange really !!!! because some players (such as S Devis) , C playing both ( snooker and pool ) very well.

Comment

The reason you miss at snooker is because you are cueing badly, period. Remember that pool will not test your cueing to the same extent, not even near. Of course switching equipment like that will throw off your positional game too. But the same thing would happen if you were to switch from one snooker table to the other which has vastly different characteristics.
            One of the traits of the very best players is ability to adapt to different conditions very quickly.

Comment

I have same problem occasionally. For me it helps when I bend my left leg (I'm right handed) a bit more and that will twist my hips also a bit more. Then I have better view to OB.

Comment

Working...
              X