No announcement yet.

How often can you clear the colours ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to echo Aceman here, Terry. Best let it go. My mum always used to say - A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still. Or alternatively - never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
    I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Aceman, maybe you could refine your question a bit to take in the abilities of the player? I'm guessing a bit but I think a pro would be able to clear the colours 10/10. A top amateur maybe the same? What you're asking for is a target that you as an individual could aim for?
      I'm guessing again but for players who struggle to get a red and a black then I would think they would get 0/10.
      I would think that for an average club player who can make a 50 break then 5/10 would be the target?
      The thing to remember tho is that if you practice it every day you will improve. A few years ago I would maybe manage 1/20 but with practice I got up to 3/10. I don't practice anymore so I'm probably back to 1/20 lol.
      Best of luck!

Comment

I am glad we have this post back on topic, I will have to try clearing the colours tonight. I have been working on 4 reds with Blue, Pink & Black. Clear the reds with colours then run the three colours. Maybe I will just add the rest of the colours and see if I can continue.
        " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
        " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
        http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

Years ago Ray Reardon showed me an exercise clearing the colours:

Yellow to black using no cushions. From the black you play position on yellow once more using no cushions and start all over again. Ray said that when you can do yellow to black 3 times on the trot, you should be thinking of turning pro.
          Magicman... For posting this... you are now allowed to die... It is annoying the living **** out of me!

I have done it twice, four times, missed the yellow, snookered myself from yellow to green, missed a blue to the corner and now I have missed a dolly pink when I got excited coz I thought I'd done it... I cannot do it three times in a row without using a cushion, playing from black to yellow.

I hate you

(The above comments are said in jest... mostly ) x

Comment

Oh man I am going to have to try this, I can on the rare occasion do it three times round using cushions, but if Pottr finds it hard I have to have a go and see what the fuss is, I take it ,as usual, it's brown to blue, then black to yellow that mucks it up?, if I do it once I will be well chuffed.
            Where would you leave the white on the black for getting up to the yellow(just being lazy, may as well cut out the trial and error lol)
            Last edited by itsnoteasy; 20 August 2014, 02:31 PM.
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Itsnoteasy, don't think brown to blue would be too difficult if you get a nice angle just to stun up but black to yellow would be really difficult if you're not allowed to use the cushion. Guessing you would need to be half ball on black and somehow need to screw/stun down past the blue spot? Not for me!!

Comment

Yep that would be my guess, low on the black on yellow side stun up just missing the pink on the green side , might get you nice on the yellow but very very tricky.
                This is my idea of how to do it.
                Screw back from straight yellow to leave straight green, few inches screw from green to leave three quarter ball brown, stun/ screw brown to come up between blue and pocket on yellow side,to leave three quarter blue, run blue through, to leave straightish pink into bottom yellow side bag, half ball low on black stun up just past pink to try and leave straight yellow, how can you go wrong lol.
                Any better ideas appreciated.
                Last edited by itsnoteasy; 20 August 2014, 03:40 PM.

Comment

The reason I value clearing the colours is because most frames are won on the colours - also if you want to make a ton - it perhaps helps to be confident of clearing the colours.

All the other routines are I do are simple stuff that often gets neglected - I try to practice keeping the same cueing rhythm and pre-shot routine on the shots - to build up a consistency - my bad habit is that I have different ways of cueing and swap and change technique too much - I intend to settle on one way and see a coach to iron this out when I get around to it.

This rhythm and confidence only comes better through many hours of solo practice. Its easy to get into lazy habits so wise to set targets I think. Everyone can improve given time and dedication and clearing the colours is a vital aspect you need to master to build that confidence you need - if you can do it in practice regularly then it follows. I can do it only 6 out of 10 but that is enough to breed confidence in me.
                  Last edited by Byrom; 20 August 2014, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                    Yep that would be my guess, low on the black on yellow side stun up just missing the pink on the green side , might get you nice on the yellow but very very tricky.
                    Screw back from straight yellow to leave straight green, few inches screw from green to leave three quarter ball brown, stun/ screw brown to come up between blue and pocket on yellow side,to leave three quarter blue, run blue through, to leave straightish pink into bottom yellow side bag, half ball low on black stun up just past pink to try and leave straight yellow, how can you go wrong lol.
                    Now that you've said it like that. It sounds so easy.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                      Almost perfect! I'm left handed so prefer to stun up from blue to leave pink into green side black pocket. Running through on blue leaves me awkward cueing or maybe even a rest shot.

Comment

I'm a lefty as well Bigmeek, I know what you mean, being on the wrong side of the table, just thought it left a simpler shot to get on that crucial black nicely, let's be honest it's all going to go wrong long before then any way lol.

Comment

Practice routines clearing the colours e.c.t. are a bit like pieces of a jigsaw you practice them and cant help thinking the ruddy balls never appear to end up in the position anything like when you place the balls for a routine, then that day comes when you think hello ! that looks like the routine I practiced ! think it is a case of being able to study the table and fit the pieces of the jigsaw together. When you watch Ronnie play its like he is able to move all the bits around and make them fit, Think I am still at the Pepa Pig 6 piece stage !.

Comment

Originally Posted by denja View Post
                            Think I am still at the Pepa Pig 6 piece stage !.
                            I think I'm still at the how do I open this puzzle box stage

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                              Magicman... For posting this... you are now allowed to die... It is annoying the living **** out of me!

I have done it twice, four times, missed the yellow, snookered myself from yellow to green, missed a blue to the corner and now I have missed a dolly pink when I got excited coz I thought I'd done it... I cannot do it three times in a row without using a cushion, playing from black to yellow.

I hate you

(The above comments are said in jest... mostly ) x
                              I'm laughing as I post this, but after the death wish I'm glad you're suffering! It's a tough exercise. I haven't had a go at it for years actually, but I have done it plenty of times, as you will I'm sure. If you've got to the final pink on the third go, you are more than capable of reaching your end goal, and think of the sense of achievement!
                              I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Originally Posted by magicman View Post
                                I'm laughing as I post this, but after the death wish I'm glad you're suffering! It's a tough exercise. I haven't had a go at it for years actually, but I have done it plenty of times, as you will I'm sure. If you've got to the final pink on the third go, you are more than capable of reaching your end goal, and think of the sense of achievement!
                                The first time I cleared the colours with perfect positioning I scared the life out of the other member with a roar of triumph and must admit a very bad f word (F***** Done it ! our club is one of those with almost complete silence and hardly any banter e.c.t "boy did I get some ribbing for that" but one of the top players who had been watching came over and said you should be proud of that its not easy, he said he knew it was something special as he had never heard me swear.

Comment

Working...
                                X