Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
    Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
    What is? Throw is much greater in american pool because of the size/weight of the balls. They are big ole rocks and you can impart tremendous amounts of spin on them. The cloth as has an impact, as does the condition of the balls. Championship conditions will see little throw, your old, crap rileys will see loads of throw. Incidentally, ALL shots throw, whatever the table or condition of balls, just some are less obvious than others.

Anyone who hasn't played a lot of 9 ball is in for a shock when it comes to understanding how the balls react with side.

Ditto for deflection. American cues deflect like crazy - again, you have to play a lot of 9 ball to appreciate just how difficult this is to read. Very few snooker/english pool players will realise this. A solid maple high deflecting cue is going to leave you whimpering in a corner very quickly. It can take years to learn how to play all shots with one.

The cause of deflection is end mass, as has been stated. In essence, the smaller the mass at the tip, the lower the deflection. Imagine playing with a broomstick and then a needle. Using side with both, if that were poasible, would produce very different outcomes in terms of deflection. The broomstick, because it's heavy, will go through the ball in a straight line, meaning the CB will squirt off to the side. The needle, because it is light, will deflect out of the way CB, resulting in very little squirt.

This is not a perfect analogy but is broadly useable. The bigger the tip size, the bigger the deflection.
    eer no, please can you tell us what you mean by throw? oh and are you from the states and what are you selling?
    No, I'm English, but have wasted more time than i care to mention on both playing and studying american pool. Fascinating subject and great to play, awful to watch.

Anyway, throw. Left side spin throws the OB to the right and vice versa. Even shots without side throw, it's just we have learned to compensate for it.

Theres a wealth of free info on throw on Dr Dave's site, youtube or the american TSF, AZBiliards.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Pedantic Stroke View Post
      Anyone who is in doubt about deflection just add a few clothes pegs to just below the ferrule and try playing with side. The cue you've used all your life will start deflecting more and it will be like you've never used that cue before.

As for throw and spin induced throw...ive got an old set of American pool balls that I used on my table when I first got it. They're a few years old, battered and sticky from when my nephew would come around and play with them. They throw a hell of a lot. Because they are a bit sticky they cling to each other a fraction more than normal. This over exaggerates throw, but it opens peoples eyes. Shots start being hit thick. Spin on the white is hard to judge. Potting with side is even harder to judge.

When you hear great players past and present talking about spinning a ball in when you cant quite see the plain ball potting angle surely is enough proof that it happen. You don't need to understand the underlying physics behind it, you just need to understand that playing with right throws the object ball to the left and with left throws the ball to the right.
      These guys remind me of how ignorant of the physics i was when i switched from snooker/english pool to 9 ball. I genuinely had no idea cues deflected, had never heard of it.

Auto-adjusting for deflection and throw etc are easy in snooker and english pool, but american pool is quite literally a different ball game.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
        These guys remind me of how ignorant of the physics i was when i switched from snooker/english pool to 9 ball. I genuinely had no idea cues deflected, had never heard of it.

Auto-adjusting for deflection and throw etc are easy in snooker and english pool, but american pool is quite literally a different ball game.
        very sales, what do you mean by autoadjusting?

Comment

• iv always found that the ball goes in a straight line when playing with side, thats why i stopped using it. instead of being able to turn balls in like in snooks id jaw silly balls for forgetting to make the adjustment. bit like on a snooker table when going from a cue with a bit of give to a stiffer resonance one

Comment

• Originally Posted by Pedantic Stroke View Post
            As for throw and spin induced throw...ive got an old set of American pool balls that I used on my table when I first got it. They're a few years old, battered and sticky from when my nephew would come around and play with them. They throw a hell of a lot. Because they are a bit sticky they cling to each other a fraction more than normal. This over exaggerates throw, but it opens peoples eyes. Shots start being hit thick. Spin on the white is hard to judge. Potting with side is even harder to judge.

Sounds a lot like dirty balls kicking to me, kicks are always a thicker contact.

When you hear great players past and present talking about spinning a ball in when you cant quite see the plain ball potting angle surely is enough proof that it happen.

the cue ball swerves slightly around the obstructing ball to make the pot. Contact of spinning ball on cloth makes it happen, more so with the nap than against it. It happens on every shot played with side and that's why aiming has to be compensated.
            I remember Steve Davis playing very good 9 ball in the mosconi cup using an ash snooker cue, I have video of Ronnie giving it to Strickland using an ash snooker cue in the mosconi cup, played with lots of side too with no bother. Came in as a late replacement and didn't even know the rules let alone that he couldn't possibly know anything about the difference in side on a 9 ball table.

Comment

• Hi all, I'm an Australian who is struggling a little with my technique. I am 6 foot 5 and have metal rods connected to my spine which makes it hard to get down with one leg straight to hit a ball. Does anyone else have this problem, anyone this tall i can get some tips from? When one leg is straight i can actually hit quite accurately and make some decent breaks, i have hit a few 60's and 70's but after a while the pain is too much and i go back to 8 ball.

Comment

• When you hit a shot hard, and the CB and OB distance medium to close range the CB doesn't have time to swerve unless you're playing a masse type shot.

Set up a black on the spot,,cut to the left into a corner white white on the yellow side of the table. Place an obstructing ball close to the black so the white only just cant get into the ghost ball position. In such a way that if the white was hit centre ball just passing the obstructing ball the black would be thick and hit the near jaw. Now play this shot with right hand side at a medium pace. The black should go in. The swerve is I'm the wrong direction...to swerve around the obstructing ball would need left hand side. Repeat with varying amounts of side until the black goes.

Comment

• I'd start a new thread if I were you, but you don't need one leg straight, Ricky Walden plays with both legs bent, it's just a case of finding a stable but comfortable stance.

Comment

• Tall snooker players

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                    I'd start a new thread if I were you, but you don't need one leg straight, Ricky Walden plays with both legs bent, it's just a case of finding a stable but comfortable stance.
                    How tall is Ricky Walden? One leg must be straight, i can hit long balls with success doing that but if there is some wobbles in my knees then i am all at sea

Comment

• not quite sure, as I said, start a new thread

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                        Originally Posted by Pedantic Stroke View Post

Sounds a lot like dirty balls kicking to me, kicks are always a thicker contact.

When you hear great players past and present talking about spinning a ball in when you cant quite see the plain ball potting angle surely is enough proof that it happen.

the cue ball swerves slightly around the obstructing ball to make the pot. Contact of spinning ball on cloth makes it happen, more so with the nap than against it. It happens on every shot played with side and that's why aiming has to be compensated.
                        I remember Steve Davis playing very good 9 ball in the mosconi cup using an ash snooker cue, I have video of Ronnie giving it to Strickland using an ash snooker cue in the mosconi cup, played with lots of side too with no bother. Came in as a late replacement and didn't even know the rules let alone that he couldn't possibly know anything about the difference in side on a 9 ball table.
                        Sigh.

Throw when using english is as accepted as draw is when using bottom. This is not a debate and your opinion is bollox.

Get some education and stop embarrassing yourself. There is a wealth of information out there on the physics of pocket billiards if you are unable to see it for yourself when playing.

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                          Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post

very sales, what do you mean by autoadjusting?
                          Sales? Christ...

Auto-adjusting = adjusting automatically, or subconsciously. Sorry if that was confusing for you.

Comment

• http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/bjZXkLm2Ykc/
                            If you can be bothered, 1 hr 39 mins into this video Jack Karnehm talks about throw and how using side " throws the object ball into the pocket"
                            It's not the fastest loading site so it takes a bit of patience.
                            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Just a little note, my question was answered about 15 pages ago, it's running side (outside english to be precise). Could you not start another thread called the infernal debate about sidespin, or something like that. Just so future forum searchers don't have to wade through pages and pages of arguments to find an answer?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                                Sales? Christ...

Auto-adjusting = adjusting automatically, or subconsciously. Sorry if that was confusing for you.
                                well, to be honest,, it is confusing for me too,, do you mean that a cue can adjusting automatically the direction ( side) on the CB ??
                                I know, this is a conversation between you and J6.
                                but this is a forum and sometimes people ask questions.
                                I hope you don't mind!!
                                I'll appreciate it if you explain this ,,,

Comment

Working...
                                X