Rolling up to a colour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolling up to a colour

I was playing on monday night and played a red as a shot to nothing, the cueball ends up 2 inches behind the yellow so I try the roll up and hit it much too hard. My opponent, a very good player, showed me a method that works every time. Simply draw the cue back the same distance as the gap between cueball and object ball then hit it, worked for me every time. Hope this is helpful.
    #jeSuisByrom

Surely this is dependent on where your bridge hand is though?
    After 15 reds and 15 blacks i did this http://youtu.be/DupuczMS2o4

Comment

I bridged slightly closer than normal and it worked for me. Ymvy of course!
      #jeSuisByrom

Comment

yep heard of this method as well, and can work very well when you have those very short distance for a roll up

for the bigger distances not so much though
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I'm almost always short on those roll up snookers, tends to cost me a fair few points, but I suppose it's good practice for getting out of snookers.

Comment

I recall Stephen Hendry saying in an interview or a pundit BBC moment that he always plays the rollup with top, so ensure he was never short.
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by fredkite View Post
              I was playing on monday night and played a red as a shot to nothing, the cueball ends up 2 inches behind the yellow so I try the roll up and hit it much too hard. My opponent, a very good player, showed me a method that works every time. Simply draw the cue back the same distance as the gap between cueball and object ball then hit it, worked for me every time. Hope this is helpful.
              Interesting and i will try this!

I hate doing short roll ups and i always hit it to hard or to short stuffing the roll up!

The pros make it look so easy to roll right up the backside of a ball and have it sit there perfectly snookering their opponent, when i try it though it is mostly always a stuff up resulting in no snooker as i hit to hard or a foul when i miss it completely by playing to soft! Grrr
              If it is called " Common sense " why is it so rare???

Comment

I think the "trick" is to try to push the white rather than hit or strike it as you do in a normal shot ... so, hold the cue near the balance point to reduce it's effective weight, don't get so far down as you normally do and then try to push the white ball with the cue ... you won't actually make a push shot as the cue is much heavier than the white but you will be able to control a gentle roll up much better ...

try it, it certainly works for me

Comment

What's "rolling up behind a colour"?
                  WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                  Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                    What's "rolling up behind a colour"?
                    lol, it's the opposite of your approach tedisbill, the "give 'em a whack and hope" technique

Comment

If there's enough space to roll up behind a colour then there's enough of an angle to pot it !!

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                        If there's enough space to roll up behind a colour then there's enough of an angle to pot it !!
                        now this is sort of interesting jrc because you often hear the commentators say things like "he's a bit short, if the white had rolled once more he'd be perfect" ... the commentators clearly do not know how far the white travels in one revolution ...

do you?

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
                          lol, it's the opposite of your approach tedisbill, the "give 'em a whack and hope" technique
                          You've seen me play then

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                            I like your style jrc!

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
                              now this is sort of interesting jrc because you often hear the commentators say things like "he's a bit short, if the white had rolled once more he'd be perfect" ... the commentators clearly do not know how far the white travels in one revolution ...

do you?
                              About 164 mm for a full revolution isn't it lol

Comment

Working...
                              X