Straight cueing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
    I've done all the exercises and I can max power through a matchbox OK, all I'm saying is that a straight cue action won't save you if you take your eye off the object ball which is something I do very often, every other shot when I'm playing badly.

It's my Achilles heel and I believe a lot of other players as well. Get yourself a straight cue action, yes I agree, but just rolling your cue along the baulk line doesn't prepare you for focussing on the object ball when you're actually playing.

The two things must go together which is the reason I pitched in. We are dealing with people on this forum who have a literal take on everything they read, who will try your baulk line test, and then take that to the match table and keep looking at their cues when trying to pot balls.
    we've got the ob my friend, its about straight cueing. i know where your at with your game and i know that you've not given these workouts the respect they certainly deserve

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
      and this in many ways makes it harder. then tell me why all the best do it?
      All the best do it cause they are the best at doing it over and over and over , dont alter the fact that its harder to cue straight in a game than it is across the baulk line .

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
        All the best do it cause they are the best at doing it over and over and over , dont alter the fact that its harder to cue straight in a game than it is across the baulk line .
        your confusing things, i asked why the best bother with the matchbox and the baulk line? and if you say its because they've done it over and over then were in agreement

Comment

your confusing things, i asked why the best bother with the matchbox and the baulk line? and if you say its because they've done it over and over then were in agreement

So you think its as easy to cue straight over the baulk line as it is in a game ?

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            Why I recommend having an object ball on the baulkline in front of the mirror so the player can focus on it during the delivery.
            So who's watching the cue come through in a straight line on the delivery stroke Tel if the player is on his own. If he is only seeing where his cue is at address and again at completion of the stroke he won't know if his cue comes through in a straight line if he has his eyes on the OB.

I say again that a six inch stroke from the elbow in a straight line is easy to achieve on any practise exercise, but in actual game play where you're looking puts your cue on the line of aim, keeps your cue on the line of aim, keeps your head and body still, and means you are focussed.

Those who are very good players do this naturally in a split second that they are unaware of and rather than put their talent down to a natural ability they like to think that it's only all the hard practise they've put in that counts, that they've worked really hard to get where they are and want and need credit for that work ethic.

Their cue ball control, break building and tactical ability all comes from hard work and experience but is allied to the confidence derived from their potting ability which is all in their hand eye. I'd bet none of the good players on this forum ever started to play snooker without being able to pot balls on their own without any need to be told what to do simply because they have a good hand eye and look where they're supposed to.

Comment

Am I correct in saying you don't have any chest or chin contact Vmax? I think hand eye coordination is much much more important if you play that way, with a solid chest and chin contact you have stronger guides to stop movement, just my thoughts on it.
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

So you think its as easy to cue straight over the baulk line as it is in a game ?
                your not conversing proper hot, for the last few posts you've dogged or miss interpreted my responses and questions with your replies by questioning my questions, so now i feel theres a break not a 130+ but a breakdown in communication, and a gulf in knowledge and understanding
                please reply properly then we can carry on..

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                  So who's watching the cue come through in a straight line on the delivery stroke Tel if the player is on his own. If he is only seeing where his cue is at address and again at completion of the stroke he won't know if his cue comes through in a straight line if he has his eyes on the OB.

I say again that a six inch stroke from the elbow in a straight line is easy to achieve on any practise exercise, but in actual game play where you're looking puts your cue on the line of aim, keeps your cue on the line of aim, keeps your head and body still, and means you are focussed.

Those who are very good players do this naturally in a split second that they are unaware of and rather than put their talent down to a natural ability they like to think that it's only all the hard practise they've put in that counts, that they've worked really hard to get where they are and want and need credit for that work ethic.

Their cue ball control, break building and tactical ability all comes from hard work and experience but is allied to the confidence derived from their potting ability which is all in their hand eye. I'd bet none of the good players on this forum ever started to play snooker without being able to pot balls on their own without any need to be told what to do simply because they have a good hand eye and look where they're supposed to.
                  tels got it a bit wrong by putting obstacles in the way of the line, the center of your tip simply 'hovers the line' with no wobble on completion.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                    Am I correct in saying you don't have any chest or chin contact Vmax? I think hand eye coordination is much much more important if you play that way, with a solid chest and chin contact you have stronger guides to stop movement, just my thoughts on it.
                    and where would those movements come from?

Comment

tels got it a bit wrong by putting obstacles in the way of the line, the center of your tip simply 'hovers the line' with no wobble on completion.
                      If you put up a mirror on the baulkline against the side cushion and then put an object ball right up against the mirror again centered on the baulkline and then cue up on the baulkline using the brown spot then the object ball is almost 3ft from the brown spot. The player can look at the mirror in the address position to check his alignment and then (because he's cueing slowly) raise his eyes to the object ball in front of the mirror as he delivers the cue along the baulkline. He can even watch his cue in the mirror and see if he is cueing straight and has the baulkline covered.

FFS j6, THERE IS NO OBSTACLE ON THE BAULKLINE THAT THE PLAYER HAS TO HIT. What would be the use of that? If you had read my post you would have seen the mirror is against the side cushion and the object ball is in front of the mirror. If using the brown spot to address then the player can even put the object ball on the green spot and not hit it (unless he's Tony Knowles of course).
                      Terry Davidson
                      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

your not conversing proper hot, for the last few posts you've dogged or miss interpreted my responses and questions with your replies by questioning my questions, so now i feel theres a break not a 130+ but a breakdown in communication, and a gulf in knowledge and understanding
                        please reply properly then we can carry on..
                        I thought my question was a valid one , there were two scenarios one cueing across the baulk line the other hitting an object ball in a game , i asked you if you thought if it was as easy to cue straight in the first as the second , wheres the breakdown there . Aint dogging or dodging nowt , obv u think the answer is yes and i think no , simples muck

Comment

ah tony Knowles now there's a follow through for ya

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                            If you put up a mirror on the baulkline against the side cushion and then put an object ball right up against the mirror again centered on the baulkline and then cue up on the baulkline using the brown spot then the object ball is almost 3ft from the brown spot. The player can look at the mirror in the address position to check his alignment and then (because he's cueing slowly) raise his eyes to the object ball in front of the mirror as he delivers the cue along the baulkline. He can even watch his cue in the mirror and see if he is cueing straight and has the baulkline covered.

FFS j6, THERE IS NO OBSTACLE ON THE BAULKLINE THAT THE PLAYER HAS TO HIT. What would be the use of that? If you had read my post you would have seen the mirror is against the side cushion and the object ball is in front of the mirror. If using the brown spot to address then the player can even put the object ball on the green spot and not hit it (unless he's Tony Knowles of course).
                            iv done he mirror but without the ob. okay iv got it but you really only need whats on the table 'as its been set' and thats the baulk line.. and simply hover that line like it was new year or a revolution,and check that the center of the tip eats it

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                              ah tony Knowles now there's a follow through for ya
                              if he'd of followed through a bit less, run up a few of those hills you have up there, and got up before 10am he'd of been a world champ by now

Comment

I thought my question was a valid one , there were two scenarios one cueing across the baulk line the other hitting an object ball in a game , i asked you if you thought if it was as easy to cue straight in the first as the second , wheres the breakdown there . Aint dogging or dodging nowt , obv u think the answer is yes and i think no , simples muck
                                without dampening your new year. you ant done the work, i can smell it a mile off

Comment

Working...
                                X