Let's try together - rest play first

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's try together - rest play first

I have no coach, and finding practising on my own is tedious and no objectives. To motivate myself and others, can we try together? First objective, rest play; which is my weakest.

Put cue ball on blue spot, yellow on its own spot, using the rest.

Out of 10 shots, how many can you pot?

I am only 3/10

This is not a competition, but just assessing my own ability. Just try 10 shots whenever you are ready.

would you like to join and let share here how you do?

If this is interesting i can set more goals after a week.

nice idea, this vid helped me with my rest play a lot

Comment

Nice vid thanks a lot.Only one question left, how do you approach a rest shot?Like normally a righthander should step with his right foot on the line of aim.How do you approach a restshot as a righthanded player?

Comment

I'm not really sure, it's not like a normal shot because of all the finnickitting about you have to to as you approach it, I generally stay fairly upright so I can see the angle properly.

Comment

Not sure there is a 'standard' stance for rest shots as everyone even the top guys do it differently, however as a starting point I would suggest take a stance like you were left handed, sit your weight mostly on your left leg and line your cue and chin up with that left hip rather than your usual right. Give it a go and tweek till you feel comfy.

Comment

Originally Posted by sammyts View Post
            Not sure there is a 'standard' stance for rest shots as everyone even the top guys do it differently, however as a starting point I would suggest take a stance like you were left handed, sit your weight mostly on your left leg and line your cue and chin up with that left hip rather than your usual right. Give it a go and tweek till you feel comfy.
            This is correct. With the rest you lean on your left forearm with the butt end of the rest on the table and held firmly with the left hand. The grip with the right hand should be as loose as your normal grip is and the right forearm should be parallel, or nearly so, with the bed of the table. The butt end of the cue should be just below the chin so that the chin is not in the way of the backswing.

What I found with a lot of students and I discovered I was doing it to was 2 things which will lead to a missed shot with the rest. The first is, just the same as your normal delivery, you MUST have your eyes locked on the object ball at the time of strike. The second is you MUST follow through as much as you can while still keeping the cue online.

Remember too, the delivery of the cue must be with the elbow and forearm and NOT with the upper arm, which is another common mistake with the rest.
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Get your tip near the cue ball, the amount of folk I see feathering and the tip is four inches from the cue ball,(me included until I was shown )
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

I am interested in whether or not there is a standard or recommended method for gripping the cue for rest play? I know Nic Barrow recommends gripping the butt between thumb and first two fingers on top, and sliding the fingers down the cue when delivering the cue through the white. To me this does seem to make sense from a point of view of keeping the cue straight (which is the key to rest play I think) but it also feels like you've not got a very secure grip on the cue. Watching a lot of pros I see that most appear to wedge the butt into the palm of their hand and don't do the finger-sliding method.
                I have to admit I've flitted between these two techniques in recent months (which can't be good!) but is there one way that I should persevere with? Or is it personal preference?
                What method do you guys use for the grip?

Comment

Originally Posted by timcunnell View Post
                  I am interested in whether or not there is a standard or recommended method for gripping the cue for rest play? I know Nic Barrow recommends gripping the butt between thumb and first two fingers on top, and sliding the fingers down the cue when delivering the cue through the white. To me this does seem to make sense from a point of view of keeping the cue straight (which is the key to rest play I think) but it also feels like you've not got a very secure grip on the cue. Watching a lot of pros I see that most appear to wedge the butt into the palm of their hand and don't do the finger-sliding method.
                  I have to admit I've flitted between these two techniques in recent months (which can't be good!) but is there one way that I should persevere with? Or is it personal preference?
                  What method do you guys use for the grip?
                  Do you have any links to videos of pros holding the cue in the palm of their hand when using the rest, I can't quite imagine what you mean.

Comment

I'll have a look! It looks almost like how you'd hold and throw a dart, but obviously with a horizontal(ish) forearm. Will try and find/post an example if I can!

Comment

Does this work? (Trying to post a link to an image on the web!)
                      http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct...21254947705188

Comment

IN fairness I was incorrect in saying players wedge the butt into their palm! I don't think its quite in the palm, but certainly doesn't seem like the butt would be poking out between your thumb and finger (as it would with Nic Barrow's method). So the butt is wedged into the hand - but prob more in the fingers I guess!

Comment

It's pretty much the same Tim, I think it's a mixture of the angle the picture is taken from and the fact he's following through after having already played the shot.

Comment

To be honest rest play is almost a game within a game, bit like putting in golf. Get the basics right then have a tinker ( in practice ) until you feel confident. That said dont try and change shot after shot, try 1 method per practice session, give it time.

Comment

I think that's sound advice. I have heard several pros recently say you should play whole frames (in practice!) using just the rest. And in fact play frame after frame after frame with the rest until you feel comfortable. I think I for one expect instant results sometimes and I am sure I'm not the only one! Trouble is, the game isn't like that! (and that is probably why we all love it!).

Comment

Working...
                              X